The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

Well yeah it's possible to get up there, but it's not nearly as convenient as other venues in London. In fact it's probably the least accessible indoor venue of a decent size in London.

Like I'm still gonna go because SSS is always ace, but I think it's a crap venue compared to some of the other options due to its location, rubbish bar and the flat seating. 

Edited by AVM

Yeah, add me to the list of those disappointed. The atmosphere for SSS:16 this year in the Ballroom was like nothing I've ever experienced, and being able to spend a weekend in Camden was a fantastic experience. Will be incredibly surprised if Ally Pally manages to replicate even a fraction of that enjoyment.

Ticket prices going up again is another hindrance, understandable as it may be. The way I see it, great from a company perspective, not so fun from a personal standpoint.

1 hour ago, chelsea2298 said:

Well, I would say if these people can afford the ticket then they can afford a couple of quid for a bus/uber. From what I could see in September the people struggling could do with walking a little more. Its a 15-20 min walk from wood green. Anyone who isn't disabled and can't manage that needs to be having a word with themselves. 

Not everyone with a disability is in a wheelchair you know.  Maybe some of those who could do with walking a little more can't due to a chronic condition like Fibromyalgia, or severe asthma?

Whats the deal with Uber? I know they've lost their license in London but when do they cease operating?

Yes some people are moaning about the venue but some people have genuine concerns, to mug them off with a joke akin to your post is a dick move.

23 minutes ago, AVM said:

Well yeah it's possible to get up there, but it's not nearly as convenient as other venues in London. In fact it's probably the least accessible indoor venue of a decent size in London.

I’m glad it’s not just me. Looking at potential hotels it seems about an hour’s travel from ANYWHERE! Being a slight pain in the arse to get to is fine for a one off, but three days running it is going to make a difference to people wanting to make a weekend of it...

• Paid Members

There is a Travelodge in Wood Green, Finsbury Park, and Southgate which are all within a couple of miles of Ally Pally. Plus You can be in central London in about 40 minutes from Ally Pally (15 mins on bus to Ally Pally and 20 mins on Piccadilly Line) and in fact you can get to Moorgate, Kings Cross etc on the train into Alexandra Palace station pretty sharpishly. It's walking/short bus journey distance to Crouch End and Muswell Hill which are both really nice too.

I'm not saying it's a Central London venue, but it's hardly in the middle of nowhere. I'm also not suggesting it's as convenient as Camden, but it's not THAT bad. 

I should say, I have no vested interest in this. Hoping to go along, and will be travelling up from Sussex if I do, but having previously lived near Ally Pally for many years I'm aware it's not as remote as it might initially seem. 

Edited by mim731
Added info

That's really useful info, @mim731, I'm sure many will appreciate that.  There was an ATP event at Ally Pally over three days but I didn't go due to accessibility and the added cost of it not being in Butlins!  It sure is an iconic venue and congrats to Progress for running 3 nights there!

• Paid Members

Yeah, mim's right. I live in Wood Green - getting in and out of central London is piss-easy. You're 20 minutes from King's Cross or Moorgate (which is a block away from Liverpool Street) and there's a 5-minute bus from there to Alexandra Palace (often with a shuttle bus at weekends). The bus network in the area is regular and easy too.

It may be worth looking at hotels in Finsbury Park, which is minutes away by tube or a short bus ride away as well. There's also the Green Rooms hotel in Wood Green - it has regular-style rooms and fairly cheap dorm rooms (which obviously aren't ideal, but it's opposite the tube station and has a decent bar and restaurant).

There are also loads of good and cheap food options around Wood Green/Finsbury Park - late ones too. Couple of really decent pubs around Alexandra Palace station too, believe it or not. Happy to give some food/drink recommendations for the area.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, AVM said:

Referring to that tweet, though, Progress really need to sort their social media out. Their snarky comments taints what is otherwise an absolutely superb, fun organisation.

This is the bulk of it for me. I get that being slightly flippant on social media is part of their thing, but when potential customers are coming at you with valid concerns, it doesn't exactly help to be snarky and dismissive about it. To their credit, when people have brought up valid problems (not just transport, apparently there's a shortage of food options at the venue and nearby - as a veggie myself I know it can be a ballache when you're at a venue that's a bit out of the way and only serves hot dogs & burgers) - Jim's been a little better with his responses, and said he'll do what he can.

I've no vested interest either, mind - I won't be going, and don't know the venue or the area - but it's not so much whether or not people's concerns are valid, but how you go about addressing them. A lot of people won't know the area, or maybe had a negative experience last time around, and "have you thought of getting the bus, mate?" isn't helpful.

Personally, if I'm going for a weekend of wrestling, I'm already having to buy the tickets, book flights, either find a mate nearby who'll let me stay or, more likely, book a hotel nearby, and book the time off work, and then I'll be having to spend more than I normally would on food and drink all weekend too. It's a costly endeavour, so "just spend the money to get a bus/taxi" isn't really what I want to hear when I've already broke the bank to get there. Maybe not a huge problem, but piling expense on expense eventually gets to a point where it's not worth it.

Edited by BomberPat

Wrestling fans have a moan and a sense of entitlement like no one else. How do these people get anywhere in life? Want a 2000 capacity venue set up just for their own needs only. Awful 

5 hours ago, Louch said:

Wrestling fans have a moan and a sense of entitlement like no one else. How do these people get anywhere in life? Want a 2000 capacity venue set up just for their own needs only. Awful 

Not really (well not in this case anyway, agree in general wrestling online do say self entitled things), by not liking the venue I'm only expressing my opinion. I'll go either way and will go to future big Progress events there. I don't expect them to change anything, however, if loads of fans had a problem with a venue, I like to think a sound organisation like Progress might take it under consideration and show preference to London's wealth of other venues of that size range- for example, I'm heading to the Coronet tomorrow for Lucha Forever. 2,600 capacity, not far from Waterloo and London Bridge, lots of other things to do nearby in Lambeth and Borough- decent location for a weekender.

Edited by AVM

• Paid Members

As a life-long resident of that part of London (I live five minutes' train ride away from AP), I agree with Chris B and mim. The problem is, unless you've been there a while to accustomise yourself to the place, it can seem on first inspection like it's inconvenient, but it really isn't. Ally Pally runs tons of events, concerts, conferences, that sort of thing, all the time. The train station is twenty minutes away from the centre (either Moorgate or King's Cross), and, as already mentioned, the W3 bus goes right up to the front of the palace itself.

If food is an issue, I would suggest that perhaps better MOs would be:

1. Get off at Finsbury Park and eat there, as there are loads of eateries around there. Then hop on a W3 bus directly to Ally Pally.

2. Stay in Wood Green, eat at one of the many places there, and then walk fifteen minutes up to Ally Pally.