The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

The likes of Robinson, Gibson, Cruz, Sebastian, Ospreay, the Power Trip before they were baby-faced and of course BSS get great heat. 

I don't get that "no real heel heat" comment at all. Progress is basically the only place I still see proper face v heel dynamics within the crowds on the regular. Scurll is basically not a heel. I adore the guy (and there ya go) but he could be the worst heel ever in his current form

James Drake at best gets "well I'll give him a half-arsed thumbs down cos he's got a mardy face on I guess" heat. But it's good that fans keep talking about him in spite of that, maybe he can take it somewhere further and become a good act. 

Edited by sj5522

37 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

The likes of Robinson, Gibson, Cruz, Sebastian, Ospreay, the Power Trip before they were baby-faced and of course BSS get great heat. 

I don't get that "no real heel heat" comment at all. Progress is basically the only place I still see proper face v heel dynamics within the crowds on the regular. Scurll is basically not a heel. I adore the guy (and there ya go) but he could be the worst heel ever in his current form

James Drake at best gets "well I'll give him a half-arsed thumbs down cos he's got a mardy face on I guess" heat. But it's good that fans keep talking about him in spite of that, maybe he can take it somewhere further and become a good act. 

oh yeah, he has shown a lot more personality on social media than he has ever done wrestling!

TK Cooper and Dahlia got pretty good heat until their last appearance. Cruz similarly gets good heat, particularly in his matches against Ligero.

Crowd was rather split on Ospreay and Travis Banks. Too impressive to boo.

Some excellent matches lined up for Manchester, looking forward to the show. Wish I had got tickets for SSS16, hesitated for a moment and they had gone!

Edited by Tim R-T-C

PROGRESS managing to drop the ball on Zack Gibson doesn't get criticised nearly enough in my opinion. I was at SSS:16 last year, and if you had told me he wouldn't be champion within a year I would have presumed you were watching with your eyes and ears closed. On top of receiving the loudest reactions from anyone else in the tournament, he's an excellent hand in the ring and has the look to go alongside. He was getting the biggest, and most noteworthy reactions every show on a consistent basis, including the big moment they had at Brixton with the toilet roll, and you felt like they were really getting behind him to go on and really establish himself as a proper main eventer. You probably have to had witnessed him perform in PROGRESS to get a taste of how much heat he managed to garner. Everything about Gibson in the company was excellent, in terms of crowd reaction and performance and it looked as though they were getting ready to attach a rocket to his back. This was last September, mind. Next show, he loses to Haskins in a fantastic main event. Perfectly fine. Haskins has just won the belt and you've given him a tough win against a creditable challenger to establish his run with the belt. Then he pisses off for three months and doesn't compete for them again until he quietly shuffles in as part of their Thunderbastard match. Now he's having comedy matches with the likes of Ligero and Mastiff, which whilst being entertaining feels below his level. It's not as though it feels like PROGRESS are trying to build him back up and keep him on the back burner whilst they sort out their current main event scene, it just feels though they're meandering around aimlessly without direction. It's a weird one.

James Drake is just there. He's a perfectly acceptable wrestler and his character work is there but he really struggles to engage with, or elicit any resemblance of a crowd reaction from a crowd notorious for not exactly staying quiet. He just feels like "generic heel is angry because he is a heel" and until they give fans a reason to be arsed, they won't. His ranting on Twitter was hilarious, though. Gets upset with PROGRESS fans slating him and decides to have a whinge because we're all clueless marks, obviously. It's not as though he can even spin it as being in character either, because why would the emotionless, grunge loner care about what people think? Just made him look even dafter.

Is Gibson gonna be another one outgoing? I've only seen recent stuff but someone getting that reaction should be easy to reheat. 

The whole not letting him speak shtick is marvellous. Not listening to a word of his promo and hurting my voicebox with boos at RevPro was probably my highlight of the night 

I haven't seen the twitter stuff with Drake. I've just taken him as the perfect heel for Progress mostly because of the complete antipathy he has for the crowd.

In a company where the fans see themselves as a huge part of the show I can't think of a better villain than someone who just refuses to engage them at all.

From listening to Smallman's podcast he's doing exactly what they want and getting the response they want as well.

I like Gibson a lot, but im fine with him as the strong mid card heel. Pete dunne and BSS are much better as the main heels for now.

Im resigned to James Drake beating the much better morgan webster and being in SSS16. Im hoping he wont get too far in, only so much of his generic style i can take.

• Paid Members

Must say I agree with AdamTH17 on Gibson. I think he's fantastic and if I ran a promotion I'd be building it around him as the top heel. He ticks all the boxes. It's disappointing that he's a bit of a comedy act now. Also, I can't think of any British wrestler I dislike more than Mark Haskins. It's like if you took little bits of all the best wrestlers in the UK but ony half as good and then put them all together you would get Mark Haskins. His popularity baffles me, but there you go.

• Paid Members

Arent the Gibsons and Rampages less likely to get booked because Progress is in bed with WWE and they are ITV guys?

4 hours ago, air_raid said:

Arent the Gibsons and Rampages less likely to get booked because Progress is in bed with WWE and they are ITV guys?

Hard to say. Mastiff and Gibson were at the March show. Maybe they will be back soon?

Seriously good ch48 in Manchester.

Spoilers.

Drake v. Webster was a solid opener. Webster progressing to SSS16

Jinny v. Session Moth was a fun little match. Jinny winning by asphyxiating Moth with a carrier bag.

Sweet Jesus v. Riots was excellent with a few comedy spots to open then a really strong back and forth. SJ took the win and hope to see a lot more of them.

Travis Banks v. Trent Seven was as good as you would expect from these two. Some excellent near falls. Trent got the win with a big handful of tights.

Rockstar Spud v. Nathan Cruz was a good solid match. Cruz came out to his own theme and video so not sure if Origin is dead. Probably got the best pure heat of the night (along with Jinny). Cruz picking up the win and going to SSS16.

Tyler Bates v. Matt Riddle in a non title match. Excellent as you would expect from these two. Some amazing roll through into submissions. Ended when Trent interfered as Tyler looked to tap out to a Bromission hold. DQ.

Pete Dunne (c) v. Mark Haskins v. Mark Andrews. It was slight odd to have two faces against a heel and Dunne has a lot of support so split crowd. Great mix of high flying and submission, a couple of clever double submission holds. Ended with Bates and Trent running down (in WWE gear) to distract ref and break up a submission hold. Dunne got a pinfall on Andrews (I think) to retain.

BSS stood tall saying they were dominant. Riddle came out but was beaten down. Then Dunne gave the classic NO-ONE is better and can stop them... cue music... CCK hit the ramp to an insane pop. Cleared the ring as BSS fled. Crowd were chanting for CCK for about 10 minutes.

• Paid Members

Love that CCK got that big a pop, well-deserved, Brookes is class.

Equally happy that Martina's so over in PROGRESS - I always see people complain that she "sets women's wrestling back ten years" and that stuff, but she's just good fun, and actually, what sets women's wrestling back is pretending that they all need to be super serious I'm A Wrestler types to prove their worth. Plenty of room for a great comedy act in the women's scene too.

I was actually expecting Jimmy Havoc to come out at the end. I had seen him earlier going into the venue in a black hoodie looking like he was trying to be inconspicuous. But then thinking about it, that would have been a little bit samey. He had his shots and lost so ot is time for someone completely new to take on the challenge. That is good booking.

Session Moth is like Joey Ryan and Mad Man Manson. Having fun but actually able to wrestle too and those two certainly never 'harmed' men's wrestling. I think too many generic MMA attired female wrestlers with no personality would be more harmful to the scene.

People really say that about Martina? It's not like she's out there having evening gown matches she's just a fucking fun gimmick, never been anything wrong with that