The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

• Paid Members

Yeah, saw it a lot on Twitter about a month or two back. Mostly just clueless fun-hating plums who think that women's wrestling needs to be "taken seriously", not realising that, to steal a quote, funny is not the opposite of serious. I think Martina's brilliant - great talent, a lot of fun, makes me laugh more than almost anyone else on the scene at the moment, and seems like a nice person.

Enjoyable show, far from the best Manchester show but great fun. Banks v Seven was motn for me, Banks is so good. Enjoyed Riddle v Bate too but somewhat spoiled by finish. Main event was ok, bit underwhelming. CCK coming out was immense, loudest pop I've heard in a long time. Dare I say it was louder than the pop for Balor in Birmingham and maybe Havoc in Brixton.

Big negative was the in house music for entrances. The music itself is fine but most lack that big intro that pops crowd huge. I understand why it needs to be done and will take some getting used to, I remember when ROH did it, was strange then but the norm now.

Also, I love Martina, a fantastic act.

The Martina has set womans wrestling back 5 years started from one comment that got 600 replies on the ICW Facebook fans page. Then every desperate neckbeard and his mums dog started tweeting her saying it wasn't true, as they knew she would retweet it and they would feel special. From one individuals feelings that her icw routine was too comedy based and is mostly around spots trying to use the condom claw on her opponents, and even more so on one of the refs. it's ridiculous how it's kept going. 

Have loved what I have seen of her in progress and now more in OTT as she wrestles more, with some comedy. In icw it's about a 70/30 split of comedy/wrestling, and a large section of the crowd haven't taken to her. It comes across as almost trying too hard to fit the perception of the audience, when that's not really the icw audience anymore. 

• Paid Members

Some bits announced today:

The 10 September show, originally supposed to be at Manchester Ritz, is now their annual 'big' show in London, this time at Alexandra Palace (last year was Brixton Academy).

The 24 September show is now an extra Camden show at the Electric Ballroom.

Just curious, they are talking about the "fan experience" not being so good at the Brixton Academy last year, anyone got any gen on this? Wasn't there, just curious.

Might have to go to the big show, but means an overnight coach back up to Bradford for work on Monday.... :confused:

And now there's a bunch of people kicking off because now that Progress have got a bigger, nicer hall to run their big show out of, it's still not good enough/ too expensive/ seats aren't wholly allocated.

Blimey, it'd be nice to get to a Progress show about now. Manchester seems to sell out before it goes on sale. If I could get to one show this year it'd be worth paying a bit more to get there.

Edited by BrodyGraham

• Paid Members

As someone who had a balcony seat at the Brixton show I can say it was an incredibly boring experience completely lacking in atmosphere. The ring felt like miles away, any time anyone stood up or moved slightly it blocked the view, the railing on the balcony itself blocked the view, you couldn't even see or hear 75% of the biggest Progress crowd. And the card itself was pretty rubbish. Brixton Academy just isn't suitable for a wrestling show.

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Never been to a Progress show, and Ally Pally is five minutes away from me. Might be time for me to break my duck.

You know the drill for first timers. Get your wallet ready. Plenty of time to save up :)

An interesting move. Looking at the venue, I'm sure it'll be a good one.