The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

1 hour ago, pryko said:

Next up is actually the Manchester show in 2 weeks time, and apparently Jeff Cobb and David Starr have both accidentally already announced themselves as part of SSS16

Yeah, they accidentally confirmed it!

Matt Riddle is wrestling earlier in the week in Birmingham, so I'm guessing he will be in it as well.

• Paid Members

I thought there was a live podcast that accidentally announced them. 

Thats neither here nor there however, Progress tweeted that 12 of the 16 have never compete in the tournament. Based on the above and what's been announced we have :

Sexsmith, Eaver, Banks and Seven announced with Cobb, Riddle and Starr also assumed. That's 7 out of the 12. 

I think Wolfgang might show up in it to do the Trent match and Joe Conners as well with the current relationship with WWE. 

Theres also the possibility of Chris Ridgeway who had featured on Jim's podcast, and Chris Brookes who is well overdue turning up. 

Wouldnt be surprised to Banks get cheated out of the first round by British Strong Style and take the tag titles on day 2 or 3 with Brookes. 

Edited by El Mistique

They said in total, 12 of the 16 haven't been in it before the other day. So that's certainly blown the SSS16 entrant pool on the Progress Wrestling Fans Facebook group wide open. I entered even though 2 of my picks were ruled out by Chapter 47. Drew Galloway after he re signed with WWE to appear on NXT and Paul Robinson retiring due to his hereditary blood condition.diagnosis. I did have the Pastor and Sexsmith down. So I've got 2 right so far.

12 hours ago, El Mistique said:

Wouldnt be surprised to Banks get cheated out of the first round by British Strong Style and take the tag titles on day 2 or 3 with Brookes. 

Hope not. If Brookes is teaming with anyone it's Lykos, far better dynamic and a lot more entertaining. I want and expect to see Banks going for the World title. Banks, if he isn't already, will be the biggest face in the company over the next few months

1 hour ago, Krytie 2X4B 523P said:

Hope not. If Brookes is teaming with anyone it's Lykos, far better dynamic and a lot more entertaining. I want and expect to see Banks going for the World title. Banks, if he isn't already, will be the biggest face in the company over the next few months

British Strong Style vs CCK

I have a horrible feeling Drake will beat Webster to get in. Annoyingly, Drake is as dull as ditchwater.

James Drake has the widest mouth I've ever seen. He's like a crude puppet. And yeah he's not very interesting at all. 

WWE's UK tournament was so well presented but Cole saying Conners v Drake on night 1 was match of the night was mind-boggling 

Edited by sj5522

The James Drake hate amuses me. The Progress Fan Facebook page is full of, 'I don't get James Drake, he doesn't do high spots and he doesn't jaw at the crowd!'

He's getting his heat, you're not supposed to think he's a cool guy, he's there to stop your favourites popping you. He's doing a bloody good job as well.

The funniest thing to me, is that a lot of the people who 'don't get' Drake lose their shit over Haskins who is basically Generic Grunge Babyface whilst Drake is Generic Grunge Heel. I'm a fan of both guys but the disparity amongst the fans is hilarious.

I suppose a big problem is that no one in Progress has really had proper heel heat in the last year. Marty did as much to pop the crowd as a babyface would and even Gibson who gets the shit booed out of him, gets it in a tongue in cheek, 'We're booing the panto villain' way.

• Paid Members

I think Sebastian is a good example of what you're talking about, there were definitely people claiming it wasn't working but he was a great personality and got big heat in his important segments. I was a big fan personally - it felt like he was getting real visceral heat, rather than people just playing along or "going to the bar". 

I'm not convinced Drake is the same thing though. I wouldn't say he's getting much heat at all from the shows I've seen, he's just really really boring and dead behind the eyes to boot. Maybe his anti-internet gimmick will work and he'll get a massive response in Manchester next week, but I don't think there's anything wrong with people saying they don't like him in Progress.

I'd liken him to Randy Orton in that he's obviously technically proficient and the type of wrestler others admire and want to work with, but that doesn't mean I want to watch him.

I think Orton is a good comparison, really methodical, eminently dislikeable and crisp as anything. Orton's problem is that they've tried to pass him off as a face over the years which has never worked.

I can't see Progress doing that with Drake. In all honesty I think they're building him for Haskins. When someone eventually fires up and gets some back and forth out of him I think the crowd will pop huge and Haskins to me is Progress' quintessential fiery babyface.

Edited by BrodyGraham

Haskins v Drake? It'll be Undertaker v Undertaker again. Drake is boring, got outshone in his debut, I think it's fair to say that it's a surprise he got brought back. Him being a prominent part of shows has a WWEUK stink to it.

I do worry that Progress have left it too late to capitalise on the Gibson heat, especially after his match v Haskins. Definitely seems more panto now. As much as I've enjoyed the Origin feud I feel Gibson has dropped further down the pecking order since.

3 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

The James Drake hate amuses me. The Progress Fan Facebook page is full of, 'I don't get James Drake, he doesn't do high spots and he doesn't jaw at the crowd!'

He's getting his heat, you're not supposed to think he's a cool guy, he's there to stop your favourites popping you. He's doing a bloody good job as well.

The funniest thing to me, is that a lot of the people who 'don't get' Drake lose their shit over Haskins who is basically Generic Grunge Babyface whilst Drake is Generic Grunge Heel. I'm a fan of both guys but the disparity amongst the fans is hilarious.

I suppose a big problem is that no one in Progress has really had proper heel heat in the last year. Marty did as much to pop the crowd as a babyface would and even Gibson who gets the shit booed out of him, gets it in a tongue in cheek, 'We're booing the panto villain' way.

Id say Paul robinson (bye robbo) and british strong style get proper heel heat.

haskins has had consistently good matches over the last year. James drake just seems generic and boring. His heat sections are dull and he doesnt have any good big moves.