Championship and Lower League Thread 2014/15

patiirc

Unlucky Wolves, hope they keep the momentum going next season

Derby must be devestated, I assume it's locked on McClaren is going Newcastle now then? If they stay up

A rare case of failing upwards, following the precedent set by Brian Laws.

Sheffield Wednesday's season ended with a little game of 'wind up the title contenders' - a 95th minute penalty denied Bournemouth two weeks ago but then today Watford fell foul of a 91st minute equaliser to deny them the trophy!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Boro had a dull 0-0 with Brighton over at the Riverside. Frustrating to watch but the draw has knocked us into a better match in the playoffs.

We seemed to have this bizarre rule where nobody could take a shot unless Adomah crossed it in first.

I haven't watched much Brentford. Shocked they made it, given they won't have their manager next year. Bournemouth & Brentford in the top flight would be mad.

• Paid Members

4 bleeding goals off of play offs, slightly gutting but I think Wolves will actually benefit with the young squad playing another season at Championship level.

Bring on a Sako replacement (although Eusebio must be close to a call up) and a season where Price plays every game, and Afobe scoring from game 1 and I think we'll do well.

Our youngsters look solid and with it so does our future!

Derby fucked it all up again, an injury to Martin and loan moves that didn't truly work that messed with the dynamic and freefall began. County fans must be livid thia has happened two years in a row!

Hoping Ipswich go up just for Mick.

I can see Cov losing tomorrow but stay up. A part of me hopes we go down so SISU fuck off. Mind you, it's good to see the council being exposed as wankers over the whole fiasco too.

I see us going, Houchy, I really do.

And, like a bad smell, I see Sisu sticking around; the hate-hate relationship with the council continuing; Mowbray (who I didn't want, but have warmed to) leaving and us, rather than spectacularly going out of business in a shitstorm of fire and brimstone like people predict, just miserably trudging along, inching ever closer to the bottom of that league.

Crawley are going to be well up for it tomorrow, and Notts County and Crewe are at teams with nothing to play for.

We're fucked.

I see us going, Houchy, I really do.

And, like a bad smell, I see Sisu sticking around; the hate-hate relationship with the council continuing; Mowbray (who I didn't want, but have warmed to) leaving and us, rather than spectacularly going out of business in a shitstorm of fire and brimstone like people predict, just miserably trudging along, inching ever closer to the bottom of that league.

Crawley are going to be well up for it tomorrow, and Notts County and Crewe are at teams with nothing to play for.

We're fucked.

Yeah true, I was looking at where Portsmouth finished and thought yep, that will be us. Football is well shit.

We've just been so Cov about it, which is annoying.

I went home last weekend, so went to the Crewe game.

After all the negativity surrounding the club this season, and how bush league the operation has become (don't sell our own shirt, half the club shop dedicated to old match day programmes), we cut the ticket prices and get a half decent crowd. And, then, it's like the life sucked out the place. The crowd were desperate for something to cheer for. After all the shit, there was still 14,000 people prepared to get behind the team and they crawled back into their shell and played like they didn't know each other.

Before I left Cov, when I had my season ticket, we'd do the same thing; once or twice a year we'd do a price cut and completely squander the opportunity by stinking the place out.

I had a weird flashback last weekend. When it was all over, and the singing had died and half the crowd had left I was just sad. The players didn't do a lap of honour for the first time I can remember at a last home game of a season, and looking at that pitch I was transported to being a nipper and seeing Cov beating Utd at Highfield Road. Not even a memory I was aware I still had.

Snapping back into reality was so depressing.

Fuck football.

I haven't watched much Brentford. Shocked they made it, given they won't have their manager next year. Bournemouth & Brentford in the top flight would be mad.

Brentford massively interest me due to the way they function as a club. Have a read at this article if you get a chance, it's quite mental to think that their success is all down to mathematics.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/22/brentford-mathematical-modelling-denmark

• Paid Members

Been another fantastic season in the football league and we've not even had the best bit yet - play offs! The Norwich/Ipswich tie looks absolutely mouth watering. Brentford/Boro will be a great clash in the Championship too. I fancy Norwich in the Championship, Sheff United in L1, due to ability in knockout football, and Plymouth in L2. You can hold me to those predictions.

One thing that's struck me this season is the quality at the top of League One. There's a lot of discussion about the quality (or lack of) in English football because of the early eliminations from the Champions League but overall it continues to improve. The sides at the top of league one play better football and have better individual players than a lot of Championship sides 7 or 8 years ago. The quality continues to filter down with a lot of international players in the Championship and there are quality young British players in League One. Swindon and MK Dons in particular are bringing great players on.

Some great stories. The rise of Bournemouth is obvious but Brentford have also done incredibly well. Both play great football too which is nice. Wigan getting relegated again two years after winning the cup while imploding spectacularly was funny. Hartlepool avoiding relegation was almost miraculous. Sad to see a great old club like Tranmere go though. Burton have been close for a couple of years and it's a great little club who deserve their success. Bury have turned their fortunes around brilliantly. Bristol City have been incredible. Steve Cotterill has done an amazing job there. The BBC called it Football Manager-esque and it is really ridiculous.

There's just been incredible interest in all four divisions. League One particularly had about a dozen teams who were two wins from the play-offs and two defeats from the relegation zone since Christmas. It's as unpredictable as ever. Otherwise Portsmouth would have walked League Two for instance.

It's also nice to see teams improving themselves off the field. Building work been going on all season at Watford, Oldham and Bristol City. Scunthorpe have planning for a new stadium approved. York and Wimbledon are close too.

If it's not obvious, I love our football league.

Fuck off Gillingham you midtable wankers!! Fuck off Jim Rodwell you clueless cunt! The sacking of Shaun Derry earlier this year was the worst decision of any League 1 club this year, that includes when Oldham tried to sneakily sign Ched Evans. I'm almost glad we're down, Derry's sacking was that fucking stupid.

See ya next year Mansfield Town. On the plus side, I would be shocked if we can't make it into the top 7 next year. I say that, but what's just as likely is that we'll be in like 13th, then Moniz will get the sack and we'll end up like 21st

Archived