Championship and Lower League Thread 2014/15

patiirc

Hope Preston go on and get promotion, mainly because they were in the top two for such a long period. However i believe they are 0 for 4 between Wembley / Millennium Stadium for playoff finals which is one hell of a hoodoo hanging over them.

Beckford has looked really, really sharp the past few weeks and some of the goals he has scored are sublime. When he's on form he is one of the best finishers i have ever seen at any level.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I see your Swindon/Sheff Utd and Bolton/Reading classics and raise you...

READING 5-7 ARSENAL

Reading 4-0 up just before half time, we scored our third goal in the 89th minute, equaliser in stoppage time, 5-5 in the 120th minute and then two goals in extra stoppage time. Chamakh scored twice! That was a ridiculous game. A rare Theo Walcott hat-trick as well.

https://youtu.be/jQK-ZnF0HeU

Hope Preston go on and get promotion, mainly because they were in the top two for such a long period. However i believe they are 0 for 4 between Wembley / Millennium Stadium for playoff finals which is one hell of a hoodoo hanging over them.

Beckford has looked really, really sharp the past few weeks and some of the goals he has scored are sublime. When he's on form he is one of the best finishers i have ever seen at any level.

Beckford is essentially a League One version of Thierry Henry. Never works out for him higher up the pyramid, but he's unstoppable in that division. Simon Grayson is also the managerial equivalent. If Preston go up they may as well sack him immediately because you just know he'll be back in League One at a new club within a year. 

• 2 weeks later...

It appears Stevenage are fucking Graham Westley off in favour of Teddy Sheringham. A strange and incredibly risky move.

Westley, for all his faults and eccentricities, does have the ability of *eventually* getting things right, once he has a squad of players who have bought into his ethos of teamwork and prioritising fitness. He built a squad of waifs and strays in the Conference and that same spine ended up about two matches away from the Championship (and football history as the only professional club to earn three promotions on the bounce). Of course, much is said about his spell at Preston, although very few make the point that after a year at the helm at Deepdale, he had the team more or less on the same points tally as when he took over, but on about a tenth of the wage budget. He's very good at finding quality, cheap players, and a master at mind games and man management once he finds players that buy into his philosophies.

We were relegated under him last season in a dismal year, but this season a new-look side has really started to gel, and again were almost promoted. Which is why it seems odd really, that after two awful seasons (one under Gary Smith) where we probably lost about 70% of our games, we seemed to be gaining some upward momentum again, and now they think it's the perfect time to replace him with a man with no managerial experience. Big risk. But on the other hand, it's Teddy (and Ole Gunnar Solskjær's) fault that I love football anyway, so the child in me is squealing.

On another note, Bira Dembélé is among the list of players released by Boro, much to the consternation of the Boro faithful. Top quality centre-half - one can only assume he rejected a new offer and wants to move on. The rumours are that Portsmouth and Notts County are battling for him. Whoever gets him, you're in for a very solid player.

There any Brentford fans in here with any thoughts about the clubs new setup and ideas?

Having worked in the gambling industry Ted Knutson (head of player recruitment and player analysis) is very well thought of and the general feeling is that it has the potential to be a huge success and change the game. 

Its interesting to go through his old twitter account (@mixedknuts) and you can see how detailed his player analysis system is. Interestingly, they today signed Marinus Dijkhuizen who Ted was touting around on his twitter account in January as being a good signing for a prem team. Gonna be interesting to see what players they get in this summer.

• Paid Members

I've been reading a bit about them lately and it's fascinating, likewise with the Danish club Midtjylland (who are heavily linked with Brentford- I think their chairman/owner is a major shareholder there?). They tried the 'Moneyball' methods first and have just won their first ever Danish Superliga title.

After watching the film Moneyball I was convinced it was something that could work in football, as after watching the film I noticed plenty of similarities between baseball and football. Given that technically (in terms of playing the sport) it's further removed from football than basketball, American football and ice hockey, the whole management and organisation side of things is quite similar.

I'll be watching Brentford closely. I don't know too much about other teams scouting systems but it seems logical for everyone to follow a similar method to Brentford.

Can't believe QPR are rattling up the signings already, makes an utter farce of FFP regs.

Window doesnt open til July 1st, afaik and as a result these are all pre contract signings for then incase they get FFP'ed.. 

Archived