Championship and Lower League Thread 2014/15

patiirc

Belting season as a Rochdale fan, 3 points off the play offs with a game in hand with probably the lowest budget in League 1. The manager is still cooling expectations but at this stage of the season they are giving it a right go.

But bit of a dilemma if they do reach the Play Off Final, i am already booked for the Progress Weekender so in danger of missing the biggest game ever of Rochdale's 100 and odd year history :(

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a massive wrestling and football fan I'd always choose seeing my team play at Wembley any day.

However, Cardiff always lose at Wembley so not sure it's worth anything haha. I like Rochdale as a club though and your manager is top notch in the lower leagues so I'd like to see you go up.

As a Chester fan Id chose Wembley over any wrestling show, buts its very very unlikely to ever happen unless the FA see fit to host the Cheshire Senior Cup final there one day

What could possibly happen at a wrestling that could beat the emotion and joy of seeing your club at Wembley and then winning. For a fan of a top Prem club, or any club that has played at Wembley on numerous occasions, I could understand the dilemma.

Rochdale were forever in League 2/Division 3 and you've had some shit times, a trip to Wembley would be special.

No brainer, Wembley!

Yeah i guess you are right, the only time i have seen the dale at Wembley was vs Stockport in 2008 and it was a downer losing that day. I am sure i can miss a nights wrestling.

The good times have only come back since hilly took charge again after the debacle of john coleman and steve eyre.

But Hill occassionally does moan about the fans expecting too much, but you look at League 1 apart from Bristol city, Preston and Sheff Utd - Rochdale have outplayed teams on big budgets and not won so there is nothing to fear.

Depending on what time the Progress show starts, you should be able to do both. If the match is finished after 90 minutes it will give you enough time to jump on the Metropolitan line at Wembley Park to Kings Cross then get the Northern line to Camden.

As a Boro fan the last few weeks have been unbearable! I have never known a league to have so many contenders to win promotion this close to April. From the top of my head I think there has been a brand leader each week since January! I think we will just cross the line, along with Bournemouth. The playoffs will be brutal this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Bristol City promoted, Blackpool and Yeovil Town relegated. But as we come to the very end of the Football League season how are your team doing?

I think it's come as a bit of a shock for me regarding how weak League Two actually is right now. Granted Stevenage came down from a higher division, but this was in essence a brand new squad who took a while to get used to each other, we've had two quite serious injury crises with a third very much on the horizon, it feels as if we've won as much as we've lost, and yet one win from our last three games will essentially guarantee a play-off berth. We do have the makings of a very, very solid League Two club and have a handful of players clearly too good for this level, but to be in 6th place without ever doing particularly well says, in my opinion, quite a lot about the gulf in class between Leagues One and Two.

I'm a Miller (Rotherham United)

We've struggled this year, and find ourselves 4 points above the relgation zone, with a game in hand, but the very real possibility of a three point deduction for fielding an ineligible player during our 1-0 win over Brighton two weeks ago.

If we have a deduction, I fear that Millwall will escape - they have momentum.  We will not.  Yes, we come together in times of adversity, but not confident. And if we go down, we will deserve it, because we have not been good enough.  So many times we have held leads and been pegged back - two goal leads to either draw or lose!  It's a shame, but if we're honest, League One is probably our level.

I'm a Forest fan but I also occasionally watch Alfreton Town, my local team in the conference. This Saturday is a massive game for them as they host Welling at home which basically decides who will take the last relegation spot as Welling won last night to go above Alfreton on goal difference. I hope Alfreton can manage to stay up as they've recently announced some investment from the Americans who took Beckham to L.A Galaxy so it would be easier to rebuild if they're still in the conference. They've got a bit of a bum deal really as they are surrounded by league clubs (Forest, Notts County, Mansfield, Derby, Chesterfield etc) so struggle to get the numbers in but they really shot themselves in the foot by raising prices to £18 a ticket to try and boost money and ended up losing some loyal followers. But for Saturday they've put in a 'pay what you want' deal to try and get the punters back so hopefully it brings in a full house. 

Beyond Epic. We can win the title if Preston fuck up on Friday. not felt this good of a season for ages. Young, small, improving squad, and plenty of potential. We have a trophy win already in the JPT that makes us the most successful JPT team ever! Our first League Title since 1960 would probably be our most successful season ever!!

Looks like the playoff dream is over for Rochdale now, 7 points behind 6th with 4 to play. Hoping for chesterfield and sheff utd to balls it up.

Got to say though dale have done well to finish below 6 teams who have far bigger budgets and i bet have overspent as usual.

When you see the likes of Bristol city and Preston with 9k a week strikers like Wilbraham, Agard, Beckford and Gallagher you know you are up against it. Swindon for instance looked the best team this season when beating us 4-2 Tuesday but even then done with loanees from higher up and tottenham reserves.

Just hoping that Dale can keep hold of the best players in the summer and can add some quality back up players which has been lacking over the past few week.

Bolton fan.  Could have been worse, luckily we got rid of Dougie and brought in Neil Lennon who turned us around a bit.  He had a bit of a bad patch, as our away form is shocking.  Think we've won 3 or 4 Away all season.  Hopefully he's gonna build his own team in the summer and we'll have a better go of it next season.  I'd like to think we could push for the play-off's again, but that might be too optimistic, and I'll say a top half finish will be a much better season for us next year.

Cardiff City fan. It's been an uneventful end to the season on the pitch. Off the pitch the circus rolls on.

I'm fearing the worst next season but am willing to give Russell Slade the summer to build his own squad.

Can we keep Le Fondre?

Bolton fan. Could have been worse, luckily we got rid of Dougie and brought in Neil Lennon who turned us around a bit. He had a bit of a bad patch, as our away form is shocking. Think we've won 3 or 4 Away all season. Hopefully he's gonna build his own team in the summer and we'll have a better go of it next season. I'd like to think we could push for the play-off's again, but that might be too optimistic, and I'll say a top half finish will be a much better season for us next year.

Cardiff City fan. It's been an uneventful end to the season on the pitch. Off the pitch the circus rolls on.

I'm fearing the worst next season but am willing to give Russell Slade the summer to build his own squad.

Can we keep Le Fondre?

I think that's more than likely if you can stump up any sort of a fee. Looks very unlikely that he will ever play for us again. Shame as I thought he would do well for us. He was played out of position and had no service though so he was always likely to struggle.

Archived