Championship and Lower League Thread 2014/15

patiirc

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've Signed Mark Little, Wade Elliott and Luke Freeman, which is excellent stuff.

Whether than translates into anything is another story

:thumbsup:

You've done alright getting Freeman, though he is an interesting one. When we got him on loan from Arsenal he was unplayable, so imagine our surprise when we actually signed him in the January transfer window, and oddly enough when we were between managers. He continued that early form and looked far too good for League One. Second season, under Gary Smith, he did absolutely nothing but Smith was, in hindsight, a disaster as manager anyway. In his third season and with Graham Westley back at the helm, he was our best player but that's not saying much seeing as we finished 24th. If you can keep him happy and have the players around him he'll be an absolute diamond.

For Boro, this will be the third successive season with a complete squad overhaul. The legendary side that got us from the Conference to two games away from the Championship moved onto pastures now at the end of 2011/12, and we blew some considerable money replacing them on players who mostly flopped. We moved some on after we barely avoided relegation in 2012/13 but we still had a fair few average players on big wages forcing the management to replace them with journeymen and obscurities, who duly finished dead last. All of Smith's signings have been moved on, as have most of Westley's signings from last season. And I think we're starting to pull together a decent squad equally comprised of experienced players with plenty of Football League experience (and promotions) to their name and some fresh, non-league prospects with a couple of the old class of 2009-2012 thrown in thanks to Ronnie Henry's return.

We've Signed Mark Little, Wade Elliott and Luke Freeman, which is excellent stuff.

Whether than translates into anything is another story

:thumbsup:

You've done alright getting Freeman, though he is an interesting one. When we got him on loan from Arsenal he was unplayable, so imagine our surprise when we actually signed him in the January transfer window, and oddly enough when we were between managers. He continued that early form and looked far too good for League One. Second season, under Gary Smith, he did absolutely nothing but Smith was, in hindsight, a disaster as manager anyway. In his third season and with Graham Westley back at the helm, he was our best player but that's not saying much seeing as we finished 24th. If you can keep him happy and have the players around him he'll be an absolute diamond.

We seem to have an Arsenal Youth surplus at the moment with Wynter, Freeman, JET and Im sure someone else all coming from that neck of the woods. Im not sold on Freeman, as yet mainly because when I have seen him he hasnt looked like all that and appeared to be another John Spicer/ David Noble/ type, who had bags of potential but didnt quite make it. However that may all change.

We have form with bringing through wingers recently with Bolasie and Adomah (Barnet/Plymouth also clearly helping) being notable hits, even when we have been crap, so will see what Freeman can do about that.

EDIT: We've also signed Korey Smith, Aaron Wilbraham and Luke Ayling is meant to be on his way too. Sam Baldock has had bds from Brighton rejected, It's nothing but a fantastic transfer window

Im not sold on Freeman, as yet mainly because when I have seen him he hasnt looked like all that and appeared to be another John Spicer/ David Noble/ type, who had bags of potential but didnt quite make it. However that may all change.

If you can get Freeman at the top of his abilities, that video shows just what you'll get. That match is from a few months back, but in the 2011/12 season he was doing that kind of thing near enough every week. You're not wrong about being cautious, as he does seem to fall into anonymity if he's not completely comfortable, but he's gone to a bigger club who I assume will place a bit more emphasis on their forward men, so you could well be laughing with this one.

• Paid Members

You've got Ayling, Pat, and we've taken Brendan Moloney in return (2 separate deals). I can't say terribly sad about Ayling, although many seem to be. He's undoubtedly a terrific athlete and still young, but too often he's undisciplined and drifts out of position, relying on said athleticism to save him. He also looks unsure with the ball at his feet a lot of the time , scattering about all over the place with step overs and the like when simple control and passing will do.

Terrific window for you though, hopefully we see you near the top of the table.

You've got Ayling, Pat, and we've taken Brendan Moloney in return (2 separate deals). I can't say terribly sad about Ayling, although many seem to be. He's undoubtedly a terrific athlete and still young, but too often he's undisciplined and drifts out of position, relying on said athleticism to save him. He also looks unsure with the ball at his feet a lot of the time , scattering about all over the place with step overs and the like when simple control and passing will do.

Terrific window for you though, hopefully we see you near the top of the table.

Maloney is well decent solid dependable, doesnt do much wrong, will be a good fit for you, only think he's gone because him and Cott's dont see eye to eye. Certainly going to be an exciting season that's for sure. Cheers for the heads up on Ayling, We really are becoming Arsenal Youth B, lol

• 4 weeks later...

The Championship kicks off this Friday evening on Sky Sports with Blackburn vs Cardiff City.

I'm feeling neither optimist or pessimistic with Cardiff chances this season. We have lost a few of our big money players that we expected to lose and we have recruited some new faces like Federico Macheda and a midfielder from Spain called Javi Guerra and Adam LeFondre from Reading although we haven't replaced Steven Caulker yet unless our captain Mark Hudson is going to go back into the starting 11 for the first time since we got originally promoted.

I'm not sold on Solskjaer at all and I can see him getting the chop if we aren't near the top 2 come November.

• Paid Members

Absolutely dreading this season and I fear most of our fanbase expect us to walk the division. We've kept most of our decent players and Lewis Grabban is probably our best buy from Bournemouth, but our pre-season tour turned into an absolute joke with matches getting cancelled (the club even got an opposition team's name wrong when reporting on it and almost got sued. Only in Norfolk) and I'm not convinced Neil Adams is the man for the job just yet. I think we'll struggle a bit if I'm being brutally honest, and I think we're due some serious humble pie from the likes of Leeds and Ipswich who we've been lauding it over for the last three years during our Premier League stay. 

Football-wise I'm dreading it, but on a personal note I'm looking forward to going to more away matches, friend of mine is already organising a weekend in Cardiff in September for that game for instance. Also, I got a nice little gig doing match reports for home games for the Football League Paper so that could be fun. 

• Paid Members

It could be much, much worse, you could be looking at the situation of Hereford United all summer.

So far, we've been kicked out the Conference, accepted into the Southern League despite the fact most people still haven't been paid all of what they're owed, a ton of debt, the new owner (previous conviction and jail time) continues to make false promises, looks like he hasn't passed the fit and proper owner's test and now has his 'advisor's' (all of whom seem as shifty as him) as directors and so on.

There looks to be underlying stuff with Swindon Town (his son was on the books there last season despite being dreadful and that looks shifty), the stadium has no safety certificate so can't be played in, the fans have boycotted the club and are having their own supporter's trust friendly matches with other local teams, friendlies are getting made and cancelled, played all over the place (they played Besitkas and only revealed it was happening an hour or so before kick off), and could only start signing players last week after The Southern League (who are even more incompetent) allowed them too despite all creditors not being paid and United still not reaching all of the guidelines they were meant too.

Saturday's the first game at home. They have no money, no fans, no stadium, a bunch of players nobody has ever heard of signed up, no kit sponsor, no kit released, their assistant manager coached local Girls football last year and people still need to be paid with Winding Up orders being constantly delayed.

I've never seen a situation like it that's this messed up with so many different sides that should be helping sort the matter making it worse.

So yeah, be glad you're in The Championship.

• Paid Members

Great start to the season for Wolves that.

We out played Norwich pretty much all over the park, and we 'rested' our Captain; Ricketts and also Price.

Van La Parra skinned Olsson his whole game till he turned him inside out again for his second yellow. He then continued to skin Garrido, looks a belting signing.

Mcdonald ran the midfield as per norm, and I think when Rowe is fit that will be a decent midfield indeed.

With Chris Wood looking to be signing soon I think play offs could be achieved, but we're definitely safe ... I hope.

I think if we'd scored earlier, that game would have read a lot worse for Norwich, think Wood will be the striker to be the finisher we need.

• Paid Members

Pretty much summed it up Teddy Kay, you were deserved winners and apart from a good spell after the second half we offered little in return. I had a feeling it would be a tricky game and I was proven right. Expecting much the same from Watford on Saturday. Lafferty looked good and purposeful when he came on and I think there's potential in our team so I won't be hitting the panic button just yet, but it was a really underwhelming display and we can't afford many more of those. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived