UFC 170: Rousey vs McMann

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looking at Cummins' record he's fought bums and obviously hasn't had kind of training camp to prepare for the fight. I see one of 2 options a close wrestling match, or an early KO from DC. DC is just has more experience in the cage as well as fighting a much higher calibre of opponent.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like this Cummins fella has a bit of an interesting history:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-Cu...unty-Jail-30387

Once stole a bunch of shit from a fraternity, sentenced to one to two years in county jail. They were going to strike a plea bargain and get probation, but the prosecutor changed. So that might explain why he didn't fight in 2011, may have served some hard time.

• Paid Members

Interesting that the poll is 6-5 to Cormier so far. Cormier should be the favourite but there's just something about this story that is really intriguing. It's got the Rocky feel and there's history between them. There's the late replacement factor as well. There's been a few cases historically where a guy has come in on short notice and caused the upset - Ebersole vs Lytle, Brenneman vs Story, Varner vs Barboza etc. Plus the added question mark of Cormier's weight cut. If DC's cut hasn't been spot on and he comes in off kilter...remember this Cummins guy is coming in with nothing to lose and it's the biggest break he could've wished for. The ingredients are there for a huge upset.

I love all this. Someone else said it's more interesting than the original Cormier vs Evans fight and I agree. Ultimately I think Cormier should still win. Just based on the level he's been fighting at, his training with Cain every day and coming in with a full camp. But who knows with this Cummins guy. Undefeated fighters are a strange thing to gauge until they step up. They could be protected and heading for being exposed, or they could be a legit beast just waiting for their big chance. Just because Cummins hasn't fought anyone that good yet doesn't necessarily mean he can't do well at that level. He just hadn't had the opportunity to show it up until now. He could rise to the occasion. It wasn't that long ago people were questioning Renan Barao's 'padded record' before he started wrecking shop in the UFC. And he'd been fighting unknowns a lot longer than Cummins. It's hard to say until we see what he's got against really good, battle tested fighters.

I've ended up voting Cormier by KO but this fight has hooked me now. And win, lose or draw Cummins will be getting another fight in the UFC after this no doubt.

Gone for Rousey by sub and Rory by KO in the other two fights. Really hope I'm wrong on Rory vs Maia though. Just got a bad feeling Rory will catch him early. I'd love to see Maia repeat his performance in the Rick Story fight here though. Tough call, I'm about as close to 50/50 as you can be on it.

• Paid Members

Gone for Rousey by sub as well. She seems just far too handy with that ARMBAR to be in trouble against a grappler.

I went for Maia via submission, but that is how I want to see it finish. I like Maia, his style's really unique, and it's a treat watching a master at work.

• Paid Members

Updated poster

BgetMRZIQAAMIvW.jpg

And Ben Askren isn't impressed with the UFC's signing Cummins;

So I haven't fought anyone, but a guy who is 4-0 and opponents' combined record is 9-19 gets an immediate co-main fight. Let's hear the real reason. Didn't [want] a former Bellator MMA fighter to come and prove he is the best in the world!

It's hard to argue with him on that. I'd love to see someone go all Paxman on Dana at the next scrum with this. "Answer the question. Answer the question. Mr White, answer the question." But they won't. Softballs all the way from the MMA media or you'll get banned from the scrums.

EDIT - Who picked Maia by KO?! Come on son.

• Paid Members
And Ben Askren isn't impressed with the UFC's signing Cummins;

So I haven't fought anyone, but a guy who is 4-0 and opponents' combined record is 9-19 gets an immediate co-main fight. Let's hear the real reason. Didn't [want] a former Bellator MMA fighter to come and prove he is the best in the world!

It's hard to argue with him on that. I'd love to see someone go all Paxman on Dana at the next scrum with this. "Answer the question. Answer the question. Mr White, answer the question." But they won't. Softballs all the way from the MMA media or you'll get banned from the scrums.

Its easy to argue with him though in this case as its completely different. Cummins was signed to save a co maim event. Many people paid good money to see Cormier fight, and Cormier wanted to fight at all costs. Cummins wasn't signed for any other reason.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure Askren would be demanding big money being the current Bellator champion whilst Cummins will probably be getting peanuts.

If the issue with Askren was money, we'd have heard about it, like what's going on now with Melendez. Dana is more than happy to give the reasons why Fighter X won't sign, especially if he can make them out to be a greedy diva. The reason Dana gave was, "He hasn't fucking fought anyone, let him fight some fucking names and then we might fucking talk."

The general point still stands if you look at a lot of guys the UFC have signed recently. Mark Eddiva, a featherweight with a 5-0 record, opponents combined record is 5-14 (with those five wins coming from one guy), Jack May, a heavyweight with a 7-0 record, opponents combined record is 23-44 (a bit better), Andreas Stahl, a 9-0 welterweight, opponents combined record is 56-32 (finally, a winner!). Askren's got a legit beef here.

• Paid Members

I'm not disputing Askren doesn't have legit beef. However Shane, this is apples and oranges in comparison.

If Evans didn't get injured, we wouldn't be seeing Cummins at all. The same with illir latifi when he stepped in to save that Sweden event.

These people would never get a deal under normal circumstances.

Just looked back, and yeah, I did miss the point about being placed in an immediate co-main event. But still, guys with similar records have been signed by the UFC, even if for a Fight Pass prelim. We could very well have seen Cummins signed to fill a prelim spot in a couple of fights time, just like the guys I mentioned, same with Latifi for a prelim on a Sweden card. You can't say these people would never be signed, when people like them are in fact being signed.

Interesting point there though, would Askren be willing to sign on for a nothing prelim and work his way up? It was never mentioned like that, and I think I remember Askren offering to come in and fight Rory MacDonald for free, was that just general trash talk? We'll never know, because there was never an offer.

I think I see what you're getting at though, Askren's probably picked the wrong time to whinge about this though, UFC just scrambled to accommodate Cormier wanting to fight on that date. If I was Askren, I'd keep an eye on any average Joe that UFC signs and then blasting Twitter for it. Keep pushing the issue until Dana agrees to put Askren on the Fight Pass opener against TJ Waldburger.

• Paid Members

I agree that Askren is right in relation to the general talent. Askren is an elite level fighter and its a travesty ufc haven't signed. But that's a different discussion altogether.

Cummins was signed for one reason only, and that was to cover an injury. It certainly wasn't related to his talent.

Archived