UFC 170: Rousey vs McMann

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Dana's UFC 170 video blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=ZIu27VvdBMc

The Countdown airs in America tonight I think, not sure when it's on BT. Should be on YouTube by tomorrow though.

I just read an article on Sara McMann. Fuck me, she's been through some horrible shit. Her brother was murdered years ago when she was a teenager. Then years later after she competed in the Olympics, her and her boyfriend (who were planning to get married) were in a car crash and he died. Both these incidents happened within a five year span. What a mad story. It's amazing she's been able to stay focused on her career like she has.

I don't know if this stuff had been mentioned before but I had no idea about it. This is the kind of fight that really could've benefited from a Primetime series if they were still doing them. McMann's backstory, plus really getting into the Olympian vs Olympian/Judo vs Wrestling stuff could've been really interesting and gave people more reason to get invested in McMann as an opponent.

Countdown could be good though between this fight and the whole Cormier vs Cummins story.

• Paid Members

Yeah he used to be all over them but now he just comes on at the start and does his "Fight Week, Blog Week" bit and fucks off. I love the backstage footage though. I'm really into all that. If you look on YouTube there's some really cool backstage stuff from Pride shows as well. Nothing much really happens but I still love watching that shit.

I only just watched this video blog. Two things stood out for me. Pretty much everyone came across really classy in the backstage post-fight bits, especially Yoel Romero. He's quickly becoming a favourite of mine. Looks like a Hasbro, fights like a lion, yet is soft spoken as fuck and seems like such nice guy outside the cage. And the other thing that stood out, literally - Ronda's arse in that red dress. Gets a thumbs up from me. Or at least it would.

One thing that is starting to annoy me on the blogs though, Burt Watson. He seems like a good guy and he's an important part of the UFC machine behind the scenes by all accounts, but Jesus Christ I wish he'd shut his gob sometimes. "IT'S YOUR FIGHT, YOUR NIGHT, GET IT RIGHT. WE ROOOLIIIN!" Imagine being a fighter backstage trying to relax with that going off around you? I remember Nick Diaz complained about it once actually. I'm sure for some guys it pumps them up but for others I bet it'd really fuck with your concentration.

• Paid Members

Christ yes, Burt Watson can fuck right off. I get a headache instantly listening to the absolute bell end. As you say, as a fighter you must have to get into a certain mindset knowing you're about to fuck someone up, or be fucked up yourself. Then this guy screaming in your face, the same shit each time I might add, really must piss you off.

Yeah, i'm sure he is vital in relation to making sure the backstage area runs smoothly, but if were a fighter I would demand the guy is nowhere near me come walk out time.

One thing I noticed in that video is it went as far back as UFC in Manchester. Was interesting seeing those clips of Dana and Gus outside remembering I pathetically stood there waiting for a glimpse of a couple of fighters.

I guess that explains David's love of Frye. :p

Pretty much :laugh:

I'm guessing with this event we'll see how much of a draw Rousey really is, won't we? She won't have Weidman/Silva II to help boost the numbers. What did her fight with Carmouche draw? 450,000? That was with an undercard of Faber & Machida, wasn't it?

There's pretty much no one of note on the undercard, so it'll be interesting to see what shifts on her name alone.

• Paid Members

I said before I don't think this will do that well. There doesn't seem to be that big of a buzz around this one and Ronda just fought like six weeks ago or something. I think there's a risk they dilute any drawing power she might have, whatever that is, by going to the well too much. But I suppose, how many options are there right now?

Not many names are drawing big numbers these days, are they? I doubt anyone bar GSP or maybe Anderson with the right opponent would do really good numbers with this undercard. Cain vs JDS 3 didn't do that well last year. Neither did Jones vs Gustafsson. Even GSP vs Hendricks did around 600-650K which is very good but was said to be less than expected. And these had stronger undercards than 170 does.

It will be interesting to see just how well this does though. Because Ronda is really carrying this show on her own. Now Rashad is off the show they're relying on her. If this was the Tate rematch I'd think it'd do pretty well but I'm not sure that much interest is there for her against McMann.

It's really unknown what impact Ronda has on PPV sales. No doubt she adds to it but how much? She did high ratings on Showtime for Strikeforce, among the best in company history for her Tate and Kaufman fights. But that's TV not PPV. And she's a big star for the UFC in terms of coverage she gets and some of the mainstream media she does which no-one else in the sport gets. But on PPV it's uncertain what effect she has. Like you say, the Carmouche fight had Machida, Hendo and Faber for support. Plus the novelty of being the first UFC womens fight no doubt added some curiosity buys. 168 had Silva-Weidman 2 and her and Tate were coming off three months of TUF coverage. This is just a fight they've thrown out there with a quick turnaround and little time to build.

I hope after this fight they give it a bit of a rest with Ronda. Leave her off until summer at least. Keep booking her in fight after fight like this could burn her out both as an attraction and physically.

• Paid Members

When it comes down to it this is more to do with WMMA than it is with Ronda Rousey. Rousey may be a huge star, but WMMA is still in its infancy and whilst watching on free TV is one thing, handing over 50-60 dollars is another matter.

When did I say she was the biggest star since Lesnar, Dave?

She probably is actually but that doesn't always translate to PPVs. I think lamby brings up a good point actually.

I never said you said that she was, but I'm sure I've heard that mentioned previously.

Lesnar could have been booked against some jobber from the crowd and still drew huge PPV numbers. I doubt Rousey will.

• Paid Members

Yeah she wouldn't. Lesnar was a monster attraction, plus he had the crossover WWE thing going for him. I think he'd draw decently with fucking Ben Rothwell or Nikita Krylov if he came back.

That's a different thing though. She's not as big a draw as Lesnar, that's a fact. But you said biggest star since Lesnar. She might be that. Who else who's came along since Lesnar's run is a bigger star than Ronda? Arguably Jones. Maybe Cain with the Mexican appeal. Those are the only two I can think of. But they're not doing all that big PPV either. It's hard to quantify what being a 'star' means in combat sports I suppose. Like I say, Cain is dull as fuck personality-wise. But he's got his own aura and the whole Latino/first Mexican heavyweight champ thing going for him. I imagine he's seen as a huge star in Mexico. Yet he doesn't set PPV alight. He does OK-good at best. It's a weird one to measure.

Weird thing is, UFC haven't really been hyping this show (or Ronda) that much compared to usual shows/Rousey's fights. I expected a lot more in terms of promotion, no doubt the lack of any negative words against each other will hurt the draw of this show as well. Definitely feels flat compared to the usual buzz around Rousey's fights.

Also, regarding them giving Rousey a break, she's won't be fighting again till at least 6 months after this fight as she's filming another two movies soon (including the Entourage film).

Dana was the one who said Rousey was the biggest star the UFC have ever had, he was ranting and raving about it earlier this week.

I think Ronda will take a bit of a break after this fight, she has just signed up to do two films, and in an interview I saw with her last week she said the Entourage film which she has a role in is due to start filming soon.

• Paid Members

If the ppv numbers suck then its because the card sucks. For me, if a one fight card is to do big business, the fight has to be truly special for someone to hand over their hard earned cash. This is actually close to being a no fight card if you're looking at a fight that's drummed up serious interest.

I'm not saying it will be poor fight wise, but there's nothing here to intrigue the paying audience.

You just need to ask yourself, if you lived in the US, would any of you pay for it? I know I certainly wouldn't, irrespective of how big a star Rousey is.

Also, in relation to this fight coming so soon after the last. This was done as a result of the two movies. There's no way Rousey would be fighting so quickly if she never got these 2 roles.

I'm guessing we will see her fight again at the back end of the year.

Archived