UFC 170: Rousey vs McMann

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Well, on the back of my post above, Countdown to 170 has been released and again with the new format, it's awesome. Everyone has to watch all three parts.

Part 1 - Rousey/Mcmann

http://uk.ufc.com/media/170-Countdown-Rousey-McMann

Part 2 - Cormier/Cummins

http://www.ufc.com/media/170-Countdown-Cormier-Cummins

Part 3- Maia/Macdonald

http://www.ufc.com/media/170-Countdown-MacDonald-Maia

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'll watch the Countdown later, if the 169 one is anything to go on the new lick of paint has done wonders for the Countdowns. They badly needed to as well. The old way they did it was the same since about 2007/08. Same graphics, same voiceover bloke. And now Primetime is on 'hiatus' it was the perfect time to tart these up.

• Paid Members
I'll watch the Countdown later, if the 169 one is anything to go on the new lick of paint has done wonders for the Countdowns. They badly needed to as well. The old way they did it was the same since about 2007/08. Same graphics, same voiceover bloke. And now Primetime is on 'hiatus' it was the perfect time to tart these up.

I'm through the main and co-main segments, and despite me saying the card sucked, this Countdown has made me want to watch this badly :laugh:

• Paid Members
Dana talking about Ronda during the media scrum;

"She handled it like a pro."

Dirty bastard.

Also, Cormier shoved Cummins at the press conference staredown.

Links Wand you lazy bastard! ;)

http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.html#ec=M1...e-and-the-shove

Also, I tell you what, Sara Mcmann is ripped like a bloody tank. I think this maybe the first fight where Ronda may be facing someone with equal or perhaps more strength than her?

Also, here's Dana's pre fight scrum. Here you find GAD featuring prominantly, and annoyingly I might add, and dropping a real bollock claiming because Ronda "gets it" she could do Dana's job!?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/20/54315...ght-scrum-video

• Paid Members

Ha sorry I did mean to whack a link in there.

I heard GAD with the Ronda thing as well. Mental bastard. I do think Chael would do great in that role though when he retires. Not full time maybe, but perhaps he could fill in for Dana on some of the international shows as a trial run to see how it goes. Maybe even just to take some of the load of Dana as they expand. I think he'd be really good. He's excellent on FOX about making lesser hyped fights seem more interesting. When he's out of 'promoting himself mode' he's great at promoting others. Wouldn't mind seeing what he's like on commentary even at some point. Ronda though? Nah, I agree, she's not cut out for that at all. Plus her voice gets annoying after about one minute.

GAD asked Rory a question at the press conference as well and opened with something like - "Rory... Gareth A Davies here. Daily Telegraph... BT Sport." Like a really shit James Bond introduction. Awkward twat. Kept pausing like he was waiting for a standing ovation or some shit.

Also, I tell you what, Sara Mcmann is ripped like a bloody tank. I think this maybe the first fight where Ronda may be facing someone with equal or perhaps more strength than her?

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. The more I've seen of McMann the more I think she's simply not quite ready for Ronda, but Ronda hasn't faced a physical beast like McMann yet in MMA. Dana was saying that Joe Rogan told him when he interviewed McMann after her debut he put his arm on her and it was like grabbing a wall or something. She's solid as fuck.

I was watching one of them Luke Thomas Google chat things earlier and he's pretty sure that Ronda is just going to blow through McMann. "Not quite like the Kaufman fight, but very close" I think is how he sees it going. I don't know. Maybe he's right. If McMann just comes in solely to wrestle there's always that chance. But I wouldn't assume that. There is a good possibility that she tries to use her wrestling to keep it standing and while her standup isn't very good, she throws hard and when you have someone built like McMann throwing bombs, that's a dangerous opponent. And it's not like Ronda's got some Mayweather boxing defence. McMann could also have improved a lot on her striking over the last 10 months since she last fought for all we know. It's a very interesting one. Just on the basis that she can maybe nullify Ronda's Judo throws and hit her hard, that makes her more a threat than anyone Ronda has faced yet IMO. If she thinks she can just wrestle it out though, yeah, she'll most probably get tapped.

Did anyone watch Cormier's media scrum? Here's a link (OK lamby? :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=5Vad8NMONj8

Good stuff. I loved the Popeye's chicken story.

Oh yeah, if anyone is wondering why Ariel has been absent during the press stuff for this show - he tweeted the other day that his wife's just given birth to their second kid so he's taking a little break.

• Paid Members

Cormier finishing up his weight cut

BhBlKA_CMAAkign.png

That is Tyson Griffin on the left, isn't it? He looks like he's on the Matt Serra diet. Where'd that belly come from?

Good to see Cormier looks happy enough considering. It remains to be seen of course, but it does really seem like he's made this cut smartly and it's gone well. He was still cracking jokes yesterday and stuff. And he said he was weighing just 209 at the press conference. He looks quite a bit different. Be interesting to see how he looks on the scales tonight.

I only ever saw the Primetime shows for one of the Valasqez/JDS fights, I'm assuming that they're still done by Henry Rollins doing the voiceover?

That's never Tyson griffin is it? His head has been replaced with Issac Yankem

• Paid Members

haha Yankem.

how good has Patrick Cummins been this week though, complete natural with the media, likeable, charasmatic and genuinely looks like hes having the time of his life. If Cummins makes the fight tonight competitive he's a made man.

• Paid Members

The Countdown show is great, and the Pat Cummins story actually excites me more than if Rashad was still fighting, but I still don't feel too much buzz going into tonight's show. More than ever, I think the Rousey vs. McMann fight could have done with a Prime Time season. I still think the show will do OK, maybe even above average, but it's not going to do anywhere near what it could have done had they built McMann up as someone worth caring about. Had they given Sarah McMann the same type of promotion they gave Liz Carmouche then, combined with Rousey's momentum coming out of UFC 168, this could have been huge. It's still going to be interesting to see what type of business Rousey can do with a complete unknown though. I can genuinely see her doing better than Jone Jones' and Cain Velasquez's recent numbers.

• Paid Members

Yeah and McMann's story is pretty interesting with her brother being murdered, her boyfriend dying in a car crash a few years later, the fighting mother angle. She's not an exciting personality but there's things you could do with that. Plus playing up the Battle of Olympians thing. The Countdown was great but Primetime would've done wonders for this fight, I reckon.

I love the Cummins story but I don't find him likable at all. I don't know much about him, I'd never heard of him until he was offered this fight, but I just get the dickhead vibe off him. He seems a bit of a knob to me when he's talking. Not even so much what he's said about Cormier, just in general.

Cormier had a good quote at his media scrum. He said something like people keep saying it's a Rocky story and that Cummins is a real life Rocky, but he's not taking Cummins lightly like Apollo did Rocky. Unlike Apollo, Cormier knows a lot about Cummins. He knows he's capable and dangerous. I think Cormier being complacent would've been more likely if they'd brought in a complete unknown who Cormier wasn't familiar with. This is a guy Cormier knows at least.

It's a fascinating situation though. If there was a time to catch Cormier and score the upset, this might be it. Look at what Cormier is up against;

-A late replacement opponent.

-His first time fighting at 205.

-His main training partner Cain is injured so he hasn't had him for sparring.

-He's coming in angry because Cummins has wound him up.

That's a recipe for a Cummins upset. And by all accounts Cummins is better than his 4-0 record suggests. I loved the bit on the Countdown where they were talking about how no-one in the smaller shows wanted any part of him, fifty guys turned the fight down etc. Made him seem like a real killer.

So yeah, there's a lot of factors going in here. Fuck knows how good this Cummins bloke actually is. He could be the next big thing for all we know. Or he could be in over his head.

Cormier weigh in comparison pictures

cormier-side.jpg

I watched the weigh in and Cormier looked in very good shape. He didn't look skinny or sucked in or anything. Actually I was surprised he didn't look that much different to how he did at heavyweight. Thinner in the face and a bit less flabby.

I forgot how many potentially great fights are on this card. Assuncao/Munhoz, Wonderboy/Whittaker, Makovsky/Sampo, Davis/Eye, Aljamain Sterling's debut. There's a fair bit to look forward to outside the main fights.

Who's everyone picking? I'm having...

Ronda Rousey by Sub

Daniel Cormier by TKO

Creepy Rory by TKO

Mike Pyle by Dec

Wonderboy Thompson by Dec

Pedro Munhoz by Dec (really unsure with this just got a feeling)

Alexis Davis by Sub

• Paid Members

Wand, give Cummins' fight diary a watch over at mmafighting.com. I too was getting that dickish vibe but when you see him on here (also having breakfast with Chael too), you will see that dickish persona is very much for promos to hype the fight.

• Paid Members

Cheers I'll have a look at that later. I admit I might be jumping the gun. I'm going solely on his media stuff lately which probably isn't a fair reflection because he's hyping a fight.

Whatever the case, this is way more interesting than the Cormier vs Rashad buddy fight we were going to get.

Archived