UFC 170: Rousey vs McMann

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Carbomb - there is some debate as to whether UFC fights have been fixed or distorted in recent times. Insider Frontrowbrian has said fights get fixed. But it is all speculation. As of right now, there is no firm evidence a UFC fight has been fixed since Dana White took over from SEG.

As Butch said, Dean is not employed by the UFC. Plus, Dean does not seem the type to fix things up (it was accused that he actually fought in a fixed fight in Cage Rage years ago, but that was all speculation as well). Dean probably aired on the side of caution, as like I said people are still not comfortable watching women take a beating as much as men, so they get less leeway.

As aforementioned, I was thinking more of "shifting the goalposts" rather than outright fixing; basically being a bit more flexible within the boundaries of reasonable refereeing, if you like, so as to leave just enough doubt as to the outcome. Wouldn't ever accuse Dean of fixing the fight, as he does seem to be the best ref working UFC matches thus far.

So what was the ulterior motive for letting the Pyle/Waldburger fight go so long?

There is always going to be questionable refereeing and decisions. Some will go in line with what the UFC probably want, some will go against, in most cases they won't care what the outcome was. It doesn't really make sense to think that the ones that help them are due to chicanery.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think it's safe to say DC isn't anywhere near 205 today. Dinner's served;

BhL25jmCMAAu4O9.jpg

Seriously, Popeye's should sponsor him for all the free advertisement he's given them this week. Look at how happy he looks. He's going to wreck that chicken quicker than he wrecked Pat Cummins.

• Paid Members
So what was the ulterior motive for letting the Pyle/Waldburger fight go so long?

There is always going to be questionable refereeing and decisions. Some will go in line with what the UFC probably want, some will go against, in most cases they won't care what the outcome was. It doesn't really make sense to think that the ones that help them are due to chicanery.

I think you need to re read Carbomb's post. Again, I'm not saying I believe the conspiracy, but it was about protecting the UFCs big names who bring in the big bucks. Waldburger and Pyle probably brings as many dollars into the ufc as I do.

• Paid Members

I think you need to re read Carbomb's post. Again, I'm not saying I believe the conspiracy, but it was about protecting the UFCs big names who bring in the big bucks. Waldburger and Pyle probably brings as many dollars into the ufc as I do.

Yep, pretty much that.

But I'm not saying I believe in a conspiracy - I was just speculating as to how plausible it could be for something like that to happen. As it is, the following posts have assuaged any suspicions I might have had.

I don't have any problem with the stoppage. Sure, McMann recovered, but there've been cases where people have been KOed and recovered quickly (for example where you are KOed by a head shot, then woken up by hitting the floor). There were at least a couple of seconds where she had no control whatsoever over her body, which is good enough for a stoppage for me.

A stoppage shouldn't be determined by how out of it a fighter is at any point other than when the referee steps in. If a fighter is hurt and doesn't recover, step in. If a fighter is hurt and does recover, don't step in. It's as simple as that. Every fighter should be given the chance to recover and fight back, and if you stopped every fight when there's a knockdown, you'd be doing a disservice to the fighters and fans. It's a fucking fight, of course people are going to get hurt. If you're going to have such a protective attitude towards fighting, stick them in 20oz gloves and don't allow anything other than slaps.

I don't think anyone would be excusing the stoppage if it was a man in that position. People are always more protective of female fighters, albeit usually subconsciously.

Yeah, that was my point, these things happen when it doesn't matter or goes against the UFC's interest, so ones that go in their favour are to be expected.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that was my point, these things happen when it doesn't matter or goes against the UFC's interest, so ones that go in their favour are to be expected.

But, for arguments sake, your point doesn't make sense. We are specifically talking about the protection of big draws. That doesn't mean that ref mistakes can't still happen when it comes to fighters UFC don't care about like Pyle/Waldburger.

• Paid Members

haha, love that DC photo. Get it down you son :)

I thought it was a good show up until the 2 main events which left me feeling a little deflated cause they seemed anti-climatic. Actually, DC/Cummins not so much, i think everyone knew what was going to happen there and to Cummins credit he came out went for it, he definitely didn't shy away from the fight. DC did what he had too, plain and simple.

As fans i guess it's only normal to feel a little short changed about a stoppage like the main event but there's no doubt McMann was hurt, still i feel Herb shoulda left it go, MMA is a brutal sport and sometimes you have to try and allow these fighters to get through adversity, McMann was robbed of that oppurtunity, she simply got hurt and it was stopped. I mean if she'd got up and Ronda landed one more i have no doubts McMann would have dropped like a rock, but still it's annoying. I was hoping for an epic.

First 3 PPV fights were quality, Wonderboy looked great, Pyle's 3rd round performance deserved a performance of the night bonus in itself (and for the hair and promo), and Maia/MacDonald was just old school MMA goodness i was gutted when MacDonald got up in round 3 :(

Prelims wern't bad....Aljermaine Sterling did enough to warrant me being excitied to see his next fight, both guys went for it. I think you could tell my Serra/Longo's performance in the corner that they felt Sterling wasn't performing to his best but he got the job done.

• Paid Members

Shame about the ending, but I enjoyed the show. Still, amazing the way Rousey made quick work of McMann, who was touted as a proper challenge. Rousey's stand up defence is still suspect, she eats far too many punches and you can see that being her downfall unless she eradicates these flaws - apart from that, she's incredible. McMann missed a trick not moaning about the decision post-fight.

Jon Jones has at least a couple of belters coming up in the future with Gustafsson and now DC. In an ideal World Gustafsson wins the belt and we get a no. 1 contender match between Jones and DC.

• Paid Members

for the past couple of fights you can see standup is part of the gameplan but she always ends up getting lit up, can't fault her effort though. I think she's realising that sparring and a real life fight are two completely different things.

• Paid Members

And like I said before, I think that'll be Ronda's undoing. She's clearly working hard and making improvements on her striking but if she tries to trade with someone like Holly Holm or Cyborg she'll get absolutely obliterated. She's not going to catch up to that level of striking. She can close the gap a bit but if she gets overconfident in her striking it could end badly for her. Even Zingano or Nunes could give her a nasty shock if she's not careful.

One thing though - we've compared Ronda to Brock a few times on here, in terms of her fast rise, her polarising personality etc. But one thing Ronda deserves credit for is that she's actively trying to fix her weaknesses. Brock didn't really seem to do that. He took to the submission side because his wrestling skills meshed well with that. But the striking, he'd bring in Pat Barry to help his striking then he'd take Barry down. I never got the impression he was really up for putting himself into the striking training fully. Ronda is giving herself the best chance to improve as a striker, training at various points with Lucia Rijker, Gennady Golovkin, Victor Ortiz, the Diaz brothers etc. I get the feeling if Brock was sparring (did he even spar?) and someone cracked him, he'd stop the training session and throw a strop. He wanted everything his own way in the gym by all accounts. Matt Hughes said similar about when Brock came to the Miletich gym at the start of his MMA career. And Nik Lentz said Brock threw him across the mats in the gym once because he'd got a choke on Brock or something. At least Ronda seems to be willing to take the knocks in the gym to get better overall.

• Paid Members

I tell you what, the more you look at the photos, the more you see the big size advantage Ronda had. In fact Ronda seems to have had size advantage over most of her opponents. Whilst I thought Mcmann would give problems to Ronda with how ripped she is, she still struggled with Rondas size advantage.

Archived