UFC 170: Rousey vs McMann

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the one thing with DC is the fact he's come about 10 years too late, if he was fighting at light heavyweight around the time of Ortiz, Liddel, Rampage and Rashad etc, he'd be a bigger star. When you compare him to the young crowd of LHW fighters like Jones and Gusty he doesn't look anywhere near as special.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Assuncao has drawn Pedro Munhoz (this guy), current RFA 135lb Champ, he's 10-0.

Very weird piece of matchmaking, i know it's late notice but you take the #3 ranked guy and put him in with a UFC newcomer. Guess if he loses though it free's up TJ Dillashaw to step in and fight Barao which seems the more attractive choice (avenging his mentor an' all).

• Paid Members
I think the one thing with DC is the fact he's come about 10 years too late, if he was fighting at light heavyweight around the time of Ortiz, Liddel, Rampage and Rashad etc, he'd be a bigger star. When you compare him to the young crowd of LHW fighters like Jones and Gusty he doesn't look anywhere near as special.

think it's a bit early to make that statement. Cormier has good hands and a wrestling base that pretty much outstrips anyone else in the division (in a wrestling heavy division). If the weight cut works for him DC could go on a wrecking spree.

yeh, ive noticed that too. He's always come off as a good guy to me.

Where's does the dislike stem from?

There can be a difference between dislike and indifference.

Cormier does not offend me, but I am not exactly rushing out to by his T-Shirt (if he has one). Over time I might grow to like him (it took me years to grow to like Rashad and Wanderlai Silva), or I might grow to dislike him (I changed my mind on Couture and Forrest as time went on)

So for myself, my opinion on D.C is not yet established.

think it's a bit early to make that statement. Cormier has good hands and a wrestling base that pretty much outstrips anyone else in the division (in a wrestling heavy division). If the weight cut works for him DC could go on a wrecking spree.

Looking at him there the weight cut shouldn't be a problem, especially since he's on the Dolce diet, his extremely strong wresting background with his power should do well at 205. I just don't see him getting past a guy like Jones so I don't see him being a champ in the division.

• Paid Members
If Manuwa goes out at KO's Gustaffson (which could happen) where does Manuwa stand in the mix? I could see why they'd throw him in with Jones (he beat the man that nearly beat the man!).

I mean Jones has said his plan after Glover is to rematch Gustaffson and then fight DC, but Manuwa could get in there. I know you could argue that Manuwa probably needs a couple more wins over top 10 guys but if he's impressive it opens up a fresh new and exciting challenger the champ.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be looking past Manuwa. I get why people would favour Gustafsson because he's been in with a higher level of opposition and gave Jones his hardest test yet. But Manuwa is a dangerous fight. He's got big KO power and he's got the confidence of an unbeaten fighter. I'll throw the cliche out again, styles make fights. I'm obviously not going to put Manuwa in the same class as Jones, I do think he's definitely more powerful. From bits I've read some people are acting like because Gustafsson did well against Jones that means Manuwa is fucked. Who's to say how good Manuwa is? He's never lost yet and we might not have seen the best of him yet. It's a risky fight. I'm picking Gustafsson just because we know more about him and he's showing a lot of improvement, but I think Manuwa is a very live underdog. A punchers chance goes up a great deal when you hit like Manuwa.

You couldn't really argue if they gave Manuwa the next title shot if he comes out and sparks Gustafsson. Gustafsson is seen as the guy who deserves the shot most at 205. Even more than Glover in many people's eyes. Some were calling for an immediate rematch instead of Jones vs Glover. So if Manuwa KOs him, how can you really deny him?

I think if Manuwa beats Gustafsson though, and Cormier beats Rashad - I think they'll give Cormier the shot. It's a bigger name fight with a grudge. And maybe do Manuwa vs the winner of Shogun/Hendo or even Davis/Rumble.

• Paid Members
Assuncao has drawn Pedro Munhoz (this guy), current RFA 135lb Champ, he's 10-0.

Very weird piece of matchmaking, i know it's late notice but you take the #3 ranked guy and put him in with a UFC newcomer. Guess if he loses though it free's up TJ Dillashaw to step in and fight Barao which seems the more attractive choice (avenging his mentor an' all).

This is almost like pro-wrestling booking. I've not even seen the guy yet, but I'm now rooting for Assuncao. The guy is in theory the number one contender, but the heel authority clearly don't want him near the belt, so instead of a title shot they've given him a threat to his contendership, so they can just shrug their shoulders and say "See? We told you - B plus."

ASSUNCAO FOR THE BELT - YES YES YES

If Manuwa goes out at KO's Gustaffson (which could happen) where does Manuwa stand in the mix? I could see why they'd throw him in with Jones (he beat the man that nearly beat the man!).

I mean Jones has said his plan after Glover is to rematch Gustaffson and then fight DC, but Manuwa could get in there. I know you could argue that Manuwa probably needs a couple more wins over top 10 guys but if he's impressive it opens up a fresh new and exciting challenger the champ.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be looking past Manuwa.

A lot of people seem to be looking past Glover as well. All the talk seems to be about who Jones will fight next if Manuwa/Gustaffson/Cormier win. Not many seem to be giving Glover a chance.

• Paid Members

I don't mean to look past Glover. I just don't see him beating Jones to be honest. He's got big power for sure, but his striking style is pretty much all loopy punches. Against a rangy lanky fucker like Jones it's hard to see him getting inside much. That's why Gustafsson had more success, because he could play the striking game without having to find a way past Jones' ridiculous limbs. Anything can happen with a big hitter but I'm having a hard time picturing Glover having much success with his boxing against Jones. Glover's grappling is high level as well but I'm not sure his takedowns are good enough to put Jones on his back. Many better wrestlers than Glover have tried and failed to take Jones down.

I think because Gustafsson did so well against Jones, people are seeing Jones as more beatable but I'm not convinced Glover's the man for the job. Then again, who knows how Jones will come out this time. He'd been having it pretty easy (against a string of top fighters) until he ran into Gustafsson. He got banged up in that fight more than all his previous fights combined, if he comes in hesitant with Glover he could be in trouble. That makes it more interesting to me.

But assuming they're both at their best, I wouldn't give Glover more than a decent punchers chance. I can see it going the distance to be honest. I think Jones wins but I can't see him TKOing Glover, and I think Glover's grappling instincts will keep him out of submissions. But a pretty wide decision for Bones, I reckon.

• Paid Members

for anyone hating on DC go listen to the recent podcast he did with Steve Austin, comes off as a great guy, not unlikable in the slightest...also a massive pro wrestling fan (old and new), should earn him a few bonus points around these parts.

DC seems to be getting the Rashad Evans treatment, though it was easy to see where that dislike started, it took a long time to realise that Rashad wasn't a tit though.

Manuwa may have have big KO power, but we've not really had the chance to see it in the UFC yet, have we? One doctor stoppage and two stoppages because of injury isn't exactly going to have the casual fans clamouring to see him fight for the title.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm just saying, if he is able to beat Gustafsson, he could make as good a case as any for the title shot. Especially in a division where almost everyone has already had a shot and lost decisively. If he takes Gustafsson out of the running who else is there besides maybe Cormier? And he's got to get by Rashad Evans still.

Manuwa hasn't one punched anyone in the UFC yet but it's clear he carries a lot of power. Anyone like that shouldn't be discounted. And he's a big fucker so it's not like Gustafsson will enjoy a big size/reach advantage. Gustafsson would probably be wise to go the submission route I reckon. He's a good striker himself but why risk it when that's Manuwa's only real chance? I think Gustafsson will probably win but it's not an easy fight for him. He deserves praise actually because a lot of guys with a title shot looming probably would've avoided a dangerous, undefeated guy like Manuwa.

Archived