UFC 170: Rousey vs McMann

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That Aljamain Sterling guy was number 2 on Bloodyelbow's top 25 prospect list, so looking forward to seeing how he looks.

I've seen people saying that female Judo is much deeper talent wise than female Wrestling, apparently 2004 (the year McMann won silver) was the first time females wrestling was at the Olympics, while Judo has been there for decades.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah there's more history in womens Judo so I suppose it makes sense that there'd be more depth in the talent pool for womens Judo than womens wrestling.

I've watched a few of McMann's fights today and I'm a little bit more confident of a Rousey victory now. I'll go into more detail when I can be arsed. I still think McMann will be the toughest challenge by far for Ronda yet though. There's problems she brings that Ronda could really struggle with, I think.

Yeah as of now he's still down as fighting the always active TBA. But I've got a feeling they might pull him from the card yet. The show is two weeks away so I guess they're not going to convince a top 135er to jump in on that notice. So it'll either be Assuncao vs some lower level late replacement, or they'll pull him from the card and re-book him.

Last I heard Eddie Wineland was keen to step in. Not sure why that hasn't been booked, that's definitely a PPV-caliber fight right there.

I predict that Rousey will do exactly what she did to Tate when she went for a takedown, use the momentum and dump McMann on her head. Rousey by Armbar, again.

Really looking forward to Evans/Cormier, I really hope Evans knocks him out, can't stand Cormier.

I also hate Rory McDonald so I'm hoping for a brutal submission from Maia.

Really looking forward to Evans/Cormier, I really hope Evans knocks him out, can't stand Cormier.

Make that two of us.

I think in a striking match, the edge slightly goes to Rashad, but in a wrestling match, I might give Cormier a slight edge. It should be remembered though that Rashad made Phil Davies look like a novice in the grappling department.

It is a interesting match-up, I am picking Rashad mainly due to wanting him to win, and he is the more proven entity at 205lbs. Also, many fighters have found it hard to adapt from fighting Heavies, to fighting Light Heavies, the speed and technique difference is vast if you take away Cain's talents.

• Paid Members

I honestly don't get what's to dislike about Cormier. It seems like an increasingly common opinion that fans dislike him but he seems like a good guy to me. I'm rooting for Rashad because I normally do, but if Cormier wins it makes the Jones fight one step closer, which could be fun given their dislike of each other.

It's a tough one to predict. I think a lot will depend on Cormier's weight cut myself. If he's done it well, which I think he probably has with how gradual he's gone about it, then I fancy him to win to be honest. Rashad's got the speed but I don't know if he can keep Cormier's wrestling at bay. Even in the standup I think Cormier is a bit underrated. But then Rashad seems to up his game against other wrestlers. His Sonnen, Davis and second Tito fights were among his most impressive career performances. But will gun-shy Rashad turn up? Will Cormier break his hand again? So many ways it can go. I don't know how to call it because it's hard to guess what gameplan they'll both come in with. If DC's weight cut doesn't go well on fight week though, and he comes in slow and sluggish, I could see Rashad tagging him. I just hope it's not one of those fifteen minute, embrace against the fence type fights.

I still haven't voted in the poll. I'm kind of torn on all three fights to be honest. I could see any of them going either way.

I just hope it's not one of those fifteen minute, embrace against the fence type fights.

That is my fear. If that happens Cormier may win the on points, as he will probably be the bigger man, although Rashad is very strong for his weight.

I am rooting for Rashad as I have become fond of him. D.C I am pretty indifferent to, he is a great fighter, but as a person he is just there. D.C winning might be better for the UFC, as after Glover and a Gusty rematch, who is there for Jones, Phil Davis?

Cormier is a good boxer, you do not out-strike Josh Barnett if you are a lame duck. But the speed and technique difference between Roy Nelson and the cream at 205lbs is vast. It is entirely possible Rashad will be too slick for D.C on the night. I hope he is.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's the thing. I'd prefer Rashad to win but how likely is he to get another title shot? Even if he spectacularly knocks Cormier out, as long as Jones is champ it's going to be a while for him. There's still Glover and Gustafsson (Manuwa result pending) ahead of him. And even if Glover or Gus were to dethrone Jones, Jones would possibly get an immediate rematch before Rashad would get a look in. He's in a weird spot.

If Cormier beats Rashad, he'd probably need to win one more fight before a title shot. If Manuwa somehow upsets Gus next month, DC could even end up being next in line after Glover. And there seems to be genuine beef between Jones and Cormier. I don't know why but there's something there. I think it could be a fun fight with a good build up. IF Cormier's attributes transfer well to 205 which remains to be seen.

So yeah, I want Rashad to win because I prefer him. But there's a silver cloud to a DC win as well.

Here's Cormier weighing in at 220lbs yesterday

BfbVb4aCQAE3s40.jpg

DC is a cunt. Not because I don't like him, I really do. But I weigh the same as him in that pic and I look more like he did at heavyweight and I'm a couple of inches taller. Saying that I'm starting to push some more iron about for the next few weeks to build up my muscle mass in my arms and chest a bit. Not going to grappling for so long I;ve really noticed a lack of grip strength.

• Paid Members
I honestly don't get what's to dislike about Cormier. It seems like an increasingly common opinion that fans dislike him but he seems like a good guy to me.

yeh, ive noticed that too. He's always come off as a good guy to me.

Where's does the dislike stem from?

• Paid Members
Gustafsson (Manuwa result pending)

off the point, but let's talk about it.

If Manuwa goes out at KO's Gustaffson (which could happen) where does Manuwa stand in the mix? I could see why they'd throw him in with Jones (he beat the man that nearly beat the man!).

I mean Jones has said his plan after Glover is to rematch Gustaffson and then fight DC, but Manuwa could get in there. I know you could argue that Manuwa probably needs a couple more wins over top 10 guys but if he's impressive it opens up a fresh new and exciting challenger the champ.

I honestly don't get what's to dislike about Cormier. It seems like an increasingly common opinion that fans dislike him but he seems like a good guy to me.

yeh, ive noticed that too. He's always come off as a good guy to me.

Where's does the dislike stem from?

For me personally, it's his demeanor. Says the right things but has an arrogance in the way he says it. When he's on the announcers desk during the prelims he tries to be too much like Sonnen with the one liners but without a semblance of the charisma. That's all I've got against him, he's alright in general though - seems a canny guy.

Never really bought into the hype (and there was a lot of it) at the start of his Strikeforce run but he has improved immensely it must be said.

• Paid Members

I personally think Cormier is a special fighter. That said, I don't know whether he will beat Evans simply due to unknown nature of his weight cut.

I really don't think people are truly taking on board just how elite of a wrestler this guy is? Evans' wrestling pedigree is a skid mark in comparison, but everyones is compared to DC.

It enables him to control his opponents unlike any in the sport today. Look at Cain for example, he wouldn't be the fighter he is today without DC. Same goes both ways here though.

For his size, you simply need to watch how much he controls fighters during his fights. In his career he has never lost a single round.

Archived