Post Of The Year 2014

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One more for Ian on Warrior. Excellent rebuttal to the "BUT HE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT GAYS THAT TIME SO WE SHOULD ALL HATE HIM FOREVER" post.

Waiting for the minorities to get offended and listening seems like a waste of time that could be spent getting offended for them from the off. What if we ended up with a minority that didn't care about something a mad wrestler said ten or twenty years ago in between writing comics where he bums Santa? Then we wouldn't even get chance to wring our hands at all. And the biggest crime of all is anything that robs us straight white men of the chance to wring our hands over what we perceive to be a minority's suffering.

I can't help but think of that scene in Seinfeld where Mickey responds to Kramer's obliviousness of a political hot potato by asking him if he's ever picked up a newspaper. Although that's probably in part due to the similarities between your tiresome "I'll decide if I'm being ironic later" shtick and the wreckage of the eventual shouty meltdown of Kramer's real-world counterpart.

The adverse effects of comments like Hellwig's aren't measured simply in terms of the number of offended gay people clocked up. Blatantly homophobic comments and the accompanying trivialisation of them aid the creeping, normative reverses that make it easier to practise less overt discrimination. The kind of stuff that results in most of us greeting Kansas' segregation bill or FIFA's disgraceful Qatar policy with a cheerful "Only in America" or "Oh, that Sepp!" instead of a serious reflection on whether societal progress has slowed or if the gains made have been consolidated.

The only possible benefit that could have come from it was more publicity for the Warrior character and maybe another paragraph tacked onto his Wrestlecrap page. That's it. Whether or not "the minority", as you put it, feels personally slighted isn't necessarily the issue. Although, saying that, given how many grown men in On-Topic have been reduced to sobbing wrecks by the loss of their hero, I don't think it's inconceivable that there was a gay wrestling fan somewhere who felt even worse when they lost theirs.

ESPECIALLY WITH HOW EMOTIONAL THAT LOT GET LOLOLOL

• Paid Members

I have to nominate this. It actually made a dribble of wee come out, but that could be in combination with the creatine.

I'd like to see Cesaro do a cuckoo clock move, say, holding his hands in front of his face, and opening them to cuckoo out between with 10 headbutts. The crowd could chant along.

Ric Flair is just an inherently ridiculous man. Hating Flair for turning out to be a chaotic, womanizing spendthrift would be like somebody deciding all of a sudden that they hate Jose Mourinho for being a gobshite and a bad loser. Neither of them are as well turned out as they used to be, but they're still just doing exactly what it's always said on the tin.

The only beef Flair fans could really have with him is the way he's made a complete arse of the big, heartfelt retirement angle they gave him, but even that whole thing relied on taking enough of a leap of faith to ignore the previous 10 years or so when you just wished he'd retire. Flair's one of those blokes who'll die either in the ring or in a massive, credit card-fuelled orgy in the penthouse suite of the Gateshead Hilton, but in many ways I'd be disappointed in him if he went any other way. The big characters can always get away with it - Oliver Reed or Keith Richards or Charlie Sheen turning out to be shambolic mental cases is always going to be easier to forgive than, say, finding out one of Ant & Dec refuses to give their mam anything towards her heating bills or asked the police to move a tramp on. I'd easily pay a couple of grand to hire Ric Flair to come round pubs with us on a stag do, but I'm not sure I'd fork out another

• Paid Members

Woy managed to remind me of a song from school I completely forgot with this brilliant post:

Personally I'd prefer if Bray Wyatt was using the super tune Autumn Days if he's going to use something from Come and Praise.

tumblr_mm6bzfT6xM1qbvz97o1_500.jpg

"Milk bottle tops and paper bags

Iron bedsteads, dirty old rags..."

05eJdAv.jpg

"litter on the pavement

paper in the park..."

erick-rowan-beard-001.jpg

"Is this what we...."

20130410_Crowd_268.jpg

*CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

05eJdAv.jpg

"Really want to see?"

20130410_Crowd_268.jpg

*CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

da-da-fandango-o.gif

"NO! NO! NO! NO!"

tumblr_mm6bzfT6xM1qbvz97o1_500.jpg

"Old plastic bottles, silver foil ,

chocolate wrapping , Engine oil..."

Well, you get the idea with that.

• Paid Members

rick on the possibility of Benoit's lad going to WWE :

His theme music could be "Who let the dogs out?"

Brilliant.

• Paid Members
I thought he was a dick when he splashed Gorilla Monsoon, this story does nothing to change my opinion.

The Vadar thread has been decent, but this is hilarious.

Archived