2013/2014 Scottish Football Thread

David

Every reputable source is reporting he's away now. He got a lot of criticism because of who he is, but he did a fine job. Be interesting to see how he does in a truly competitive league though.

Larsson is the bookies favourite to take over.

A fine job...really?

I'd say he did a good job, maybe not a great job but still a lot of goodwork for me. The year we got to the last 16 we played really well in Europe and it looked like we'd continue that but losing Hooper, Wnayama and Wilson meant we were always up against it. I think Lennon's biggest plus was his ability to bring on players like Ki, Wanyama and Hooper all bought for relatively small sums and then sold on at a big profit. That's the only transfer strategy that will work at Celtic in today's game and Lennon for me did brilliantly at it. Ok, there's the Baangura's and Balde's (jury is out on Pukki for me) but overall I think his time as manager has really benefitted the club in the long run.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Every reputable source is reporting he's away now. He got a lot of criticism because of who he is, but he did a fine job. Be interesting to see how he does in a truly competitive league though.

A fine job...really?

I'd say he did. Especially considering it was his first managerial job and the state of the team that he took over.

Obviously the lack of strong competition has helped him but that's hardly Lennon's fault. There's probably an argument that it's hindered him as well since the board have no reason to make a real investment in the team. I doubt Samaras, for example, would be leaving on a free if Rangers were still challenging for the Title every year.

I think he'll do all right down South.

You highlight the lack of strong competition, does that not mean he should have won more cups? Surely, the league - as it is now in terms of competition - is the absolute bare minimum? I think Lennon has done a not bad job but his signings are very hit and miss. On the other side, the amount off the field stuff he has had to put up with and still done a decent job. He's done what was expected but the lack of cups counts against him for me.

A fine job...really?

I'd say he did. Especially considering it was his first managerial job and the state of the team that he took over.

Obviously the lack of strong competition has helped him but that's hardly Lennon's fault. There's probably an argument that it's hindered him as well since the board have no reason to make a real investment in the team. I doubt Samaras, for example, would be leaving on a free if Rangers were still challenging for the Title every year.

I think he'll do all right down South.

I don't think he'll do well in England tbh with you. I'm not saying he didn't do a decent job, I just feel he's not good enough for that level.

• Paid Members

Got to think Owen Coyle is getting the job. One of Dermot Desmond's best buddies supposedly.

Moyes would be perfect for it though IMO. He could slightly improve his reputation with a good few years up here then go back down south. Seriously don't see it though. Despite them being in a diddy league, Celtic are a massive, massive club.

Lennon has done a good job, not a great one. Domestic cups have not been won enough, and he's signed too many rotten players In amongst the quality ones. This season was best time to go, if he had stayed anther year, pressure who'd be on to do another to take on Rangers

By all accounts Lennon didn't even have the final say on Bangura being signed and it was sanctioned by the board on the strength of the scouting reports which had added credibility behind them given the success of Izaguirre and Wanyama.

I don't think this is as out of the blue as some people are making out. As soon as Mjallby announced he was away i sensed something wasn't quite right as he is very close with Parker and Lennon, goes without saying i suppose. I think they have been looking for assurances regarding funds to get players in for the Champions League qualifiers and that hasn't been met by the board; particularly a top rate replacement for Hooper whether it be in terms of a transfer fee or committing to big wages for someone on a bosman. Furthermore there is no guarantee that the likes of Forster, Van Dijk and Lustig will still be there come the start of the season.

With celtics financial superiority over the last two years, trebles are not unrealistic, the teams they have been beaten by have been shocking at times. They shouldn't be getting beaten by Morton etc

With celtics financial superiority over the last two years, trebles are not unrealistic, the teams they have been beaten by have been shocking at times.

It's no different from any other time. They might not be unrealistic, but they're never likely. It's not like Celtic and Rangers missing out on trebles in the past was solely due to the other one denying them. Trebles are never an expectation, they're a nice bonus if they come along. It would be absurd, greedy, and arrogant in the extreme to demand them.

They shouldn't be getting beaten by Morton etc

Probably not, but it happens. It happens all the time, at every club, with every manager. Martin O'Neill shouldn't be losing to ICT or whatever, Strachan shouldn't be losing to Clyde etc etc. It's cup football, it's never really been considered such an important marker for gauging overall success for teams at the top of leagues. Winning titles, holding your own in Europe, playing stuff that's decent to watch, doing well on the transfer market, and at least picking up a few cups now and again is more enough to than offset the mild disappointment of a poor overall cup record.

Granted trebles are not "likely" but to have slipped up on more than one occasion does get held against him. Let's be honest, in some respects it is more difficult for Celtic in the current Scottish football scene to win a cup than the league. Celtic should always be strong enough to win the league over 38 games, which they have duly done. However, in a cup, a team can raise its game for that one off match. That's when the quality and financial spending power of Celtic should shine through. As I said, winning trebles will be difficult because matches are not won on paper but at least twice Celtic's cup journey has been ended by lower league opposition. We're not talking about coming up against a Rangers or Hearts or Aberdeen or Dundee United, who will fancy their chances in a one off. We're talking about Morton and Ross County, with all due respect to them.

As for transfers, I'm purely taking this from online, so my apologies if it is not correct.

Mulgrew, Du-Ri, Ledley, Juarez, Hooper, Murphy and Kayal. Think it would be fair to say that at least two of those were flops while at least two of those were big successes. Juarez never really worked out and Murphy has to be considered a flop. On the other hand, Ledley and Hooper were big parts in Lennon's success and Mulgrew did a job while Kayal is a shadow of the player he was.

Forster, Izaguirre and Majstorovic. Again, two successes and one flop. To be fair, Majstorovic was surely only a stop gap and he did what was needed. Again, Forster and Izaguirre have more than done their job.

Kapo, Ljungberg, Watt and Commons. Two big flops and Commons, who has been a success. Watt, the jury is still out on but for

What do Celtic fans make of Anthony Stokes?haven't seen much of him,but he'll probably be Robbie Keane's Ireland replacement when he eventually retires.

Struggles if he's up front on his own but brilliant when he has a partner. You'll get mixed views from our fans but personally, I like him. He's not shown much at higher levels than the SPL/SPFL though.

• Paid Members

Hibs relegated to the Scottish Championship after losing to Hamilton Accies on penalties. Hamilton promoted. Scottish Championship will contain Rangers, Hearts and Hibs next season. Insane.

Archived