2013/2014 Scottish Football Thread

David

I was watching Stranraer beat Forfar yesterday and the guy beside me had the scores coming through on his laptop... The score from the Hamilton/Morton game was just ridiculous. Automatically assumed there was a sending off but no and a missed penalty too! There is newspaper today that has the ratings for the Morton team and no-one playing less than a six. They got beat 10 (TEN) - 2. Was it really a case that Hamilton were just utterly, utterly superb?!

Mate at the game said they weren't anything special, just Morton fucking around. Seemingly dung warm ups, they were all just standing talking to each other.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The play off format isn't perfect but it's a huge step forward just having them at all. Hopefully they change the format in future years to 2nd vs 3rd and that way the Championship teams and the SPL teams have both played 38 league games before the final. 4th place out of 10 is probably too low to have a chance at getting up though if they make it through 3 rounds of play off I suppose you can't begrudge them it.

The play off format isn't perfect but it's a huge step forward just having them at all. Hopefully they change the format in future years to 2nd vs 3rd and that way the Championship teams and the SPL teams have both played 38 league games before the final. 4th place out of 10 is probably too low to have a chance at getting up though if they make it through 3 rounds of play off I suppose you can't begrudge them it.

After the amount of time it has taken to get the play-offs back, what makes you think that the SPFL would be willing to change things around, even though they are supposedly on a 2 year trial basis?

I believe the logic in giving 4th a Playoff spot is decent, it does offer more competitive games all the way right down to the end of the season for every team, only 3 teams of the 10 had nothing of worth playing for at the weekend in SPFL Championship - perfect IMO.

• Paid Members

After the amount of time it has taken to get the play-offs back, what makes you think that the SPFL would be willing to change things around, even though they are supposedly on a 2 year trial basis?

I believe the logic in giving 4th a Playoff spot is decent, it does offer more competitive games all the way right down to the end of the season for every team, only 3 teams of the 10 had nothing of worth playing for at the weekend in SPFL Championship - perfect IMO.

And in the Premier League every team other than Celtic and Hearts have had something to play for all season too.

• Paid Members
Still can't believe Hearts would be 8th if it wasn't for the points deduction. Locke has done a great job at Hearts imo.

Not really. They only started catching up on the other teams once they were close to mathematic relegation.

He's had a pretty easy job seeing as he knew there was no pressure as they were never avoiding going down.

• Paid Members
Are you saying that other teams started taking their foot off the gas when automatic relegation was decided?

The pressure was off them because they were either close to or confirmed to being relegated so they suddenly started picking up points. The pressure was off the players.

Had they been playing like this earlier in the season they might have stood a chance of not being bottom.

Also are Hearts the only team to beat us every time we've played them this season?

No. They haven't beaten us every time.

Hibs are off into the (incredibly dodgy) playoffs then. I think they could be in real trouble. They don't look like scoring a goal, never mind winning a game, and it's arguable that Butcher has in fact negatively affected the team from when Pat Fenlon took over.

Imagine if both Hearts AND Hibs went down in the same season? The Championship next season could be incredibly tasty with the two Edinburgh clubs plus Rangers fighting for one promotion spot.

Theres just something severely not right for me wit the Hibs situation.

Butcher has no doubt affected this team with some of the shite he has been talkin, including saying basically that none of them were his team, he didn't want them, and he was replacing them in post season anyway.

Could it be that Hibs simply don't feel they would survive without playing Hearts 4 times a season? I mean surely the revenue from the Edinburgh derby is just too big to lose out on. Not suggesting the players are in on it. But could this be one big farce with big Butcher in on the act? Derailing the team completely on the promise of getting exactly who he wants next season? As I have read that regardless of which league Hibs end up in, the BoD have vowed to keep their promise to give him cash to bring in a new team.

People are reporting that Kenny Miller to Sevco is a done deal but I heard that a Hibs deal was also on the table and is surprisingly more lucrative that The Rangers offer.

I went to that today. I had a feeling of how the game would go. Hibs would dominate for spells, maybe even make the odd chance but they'd never truly threaten. In that sense I was wrong as they DID have one shot crash off the bar. I knew Boyd would score as the Hibs defence is shite. Boyd scored and Hibs never got their foothold on the game after that. Not even when they should have been knocking the door down for a goal late on. They never ever looked like getting it.

Hibs are going down. There is actually no doubt in my mind and I'm considering putting my first ever bet on. It's just such a stick-on, I'd never forgive myself. For all of the faults of whoever they happen to play, they're not going to score enough to put them out, and they'll hand the other team goals on a plate. They're absolutely shit. Horrible shit. And I should know a bit about that, having been to Cappielow a bit this season.

On that note, I'd not be surprised if Rowan Vine would be the best finisher at Hibs if he was still there. Shocking stuff.

Killie are done for next year when Boyd leaves. Championship next year will be most competitive, and likely better attended than the spl. Hibs crowds went up when they were last relegated as they where winning most weeks.

With Thistle staying up I think Boys may be Firhill bound. Boyd failed to agree terms with Thistle. They offered him 800 a week and he wanted 1200 and they said flat no. But Thistle's chariman has advised their playin budgte will double next season which suggests Boyd is now within their reach. He wants to stay in Scotland, specifically Glasgow. Depends though if Rangers come in and offer him stupid money for Championship. The absolute damage he would do in that league is mental.

Archived