2013/2014 Scottish Football Thread

David

If Rangers and Hearts both offer decent money, obviously Rangers would be the right move for him.

If Partick come in... different story. Although his time with the national side seems to be at an end, and he's naw getting any younger. I wouldn't begrudge him going to the lower leagues with Rangers for more money and I don't think many others would either.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought it was a foul on the keeper. Still though, given Stewart Milne's absolutely pathetic attitude in the summer during the league reconstruction discussions, I'd like any bad times he has to be harsh and unfair, just so as it hurts just that little bit more. I DO feel for Derek McInnes though, who I have a soft spot for given the service he gave Morton while he was here. I thought a truly dreadful decision was the offside call when Vernon went through from about three yards onside and the linesman called it. Bizarre stuff really. The assistant must just have been itching to make an arse of it.

It's been a busy day in the ol' SPFL.

Hearts is the main story, as everyone suspected it would be. Gary Locke papped, Craig Levein brought in as the Director of Football and Robbie Neilson as the new head coach. As well as that, you have Jamie Hamill, Ryan Stevenson and Jamie MacDonald on the way out of the door. Pretty much doing what should be done for a team in their position. Get rid of high earners and live within yer means. Craig Levein as the DoF doesn't seem to be a bad decision either, and depending on how much power he has there, can be a huge asset for Hearts.

St. Mirren also got rid of Danny Lennon. Well, to be exact, they let his contract run out. Which seems to be getting a sort of "thanks Danny, but cheerio" response. Think it's a bit harsh on Lennon, but at the same time, after a few years they're not really any further forward, so they might see the gamble as being worth taking to see if they can take a punt at the top six. I'd argue whether they are capable of going there and whether being in the top tier as a permanent fixture is their level, but it'll be interesting to see who they bring in. Ian Murray seems to be the one that's wanted, and you can't blame them for that. Guy's done a terrific job.

It's been a busy day in the ol' SPFL.

Hearts is the main story, as everyone suspected it would be. Gary Locke papped, Craig Levein brought in as the Director of Football and Robbie Neilson as the new head coach. As well as that, you have Jamie Hamill, Ryan Stevenson and Jamie MacDonald on the way out of the door. Pretty much doing what should be done for a team in their position. Get rid of high earners and live within yer means. Craig Levein as the DoF doesn't seem to be a bad decision either, and depending on how much power he has there, can be a huge asset for Hearts.

St. Mirren also got rid of Danny Lennon. Well, to be exact, they let his contract run out. Which seems to be getting a sort of "thanks Danny, but cheerio" response. Think it's a bit harsh on Lennon, but at the same time, after a few years they're not really any further forward, so they might see the gamble as being worth taking to see if they can take a punt at the top six. I'd argue whether they are capable of going there and whether being in the top tier as a permanent fixture is their level, but it'll be interesting to see who they bring in. Ian Murray seems to be the one that's wanted, and you can't blame them for that. Guy's done a terrific job.

I'm a bit saddened to see Gary Locke get the bullet. I thought he deserved at least a chance to do something with Hearts next season considering the job he did with them this season.

Anne Budge statement was very forward and honest. BBC Sportsound saying Nielson is taking charge of the first team on matchdays and reporting directly to Levein who picks the squad and monitors training. Given that Hearts want to focus on their Academies, Youth and Scouting structure...Having Levein as one guy who is overseeing the whole Football operation actually seems like a sound idea on this occasion. Budge has totally justified it. She wants to revamp the whole club from grassroots level. In 5-10years time Hearts will be hoping to be churning out top young players, giving them success on the pitch and hopefully off the pitch if they can sell these players on or get compensation.

Would take Ryan Stevenson in my team any day of the week

Anne Budge statement was very forward and honest. BBC Sportsound saying Nielson is taking charge of the first team on matchdays and reporting directly to Levein who picks the squad and monitors training. Given that Hearts want to focus on their Academies, Youth and Scouting structure...Having Levein as one guy who is overseeing the whole Football operation actually seems like a sound idea on this occasion. Budge has totally justified it. She wants to revamp the whole club from grassroots level. In 5-10years time Hearts will be hoping to be churning out top young players, giving them success on the pitch and hopefully off the pitch if they can sell these players on or get compensation.

Would take Ryan Stevenson in my team any day of the week

Unless Locke actively disagreed with answering to Levein I don't understand why they would drop the coach who managed to rally the troops during a tough season and replace him with someone who has virtually zero experience?

• Paid Members

If Levein is taking control of all football matters then why isn't he just given the managers job? Do a club in second tier Scottish football really need someone in a Director of Football role?

As director of Football he will also oversee all of the academies and scouting networks as well as all first team affairs.

I have alot of respect for Hearts for how they have handled the situation and I have every confidence they will bounce right back from it, in the correct manner.

• Paid Members

St. Johnstone won the Scottish Cup with a 2-0 victory over Dundee United at Celtic Park. First time St. Johnstone have been to a Scottish Cup Final too.

Great game. What was Stevie May all about bundling that in with his hand at 1-0 right on the goal-line? Probably more harder to palm it in, which he did. He could have chested it in right there and it would have counted. I bet he got a bit of a bollocking.

St. Johnstone won the Scottish Cup with a 2-0 victory over Dundee United at Celtic Park. First time St. Johnstone have been to a Scottish Cup Final too.

Great game. What was Stevie May all about bundling that in with his hand at 1-0 right on the goal-line? Probably more harder to palm it in, which he did. He could have chested it in right there and it would have counted. I bet he got a bit of a bollocking.

The ball was behind him and there was no way he could have scored it. I think it's a mute point though as I believe him when he says that he thought the original header was o we the line so didn't think handling it would count. From real time on TV it looked like the ball was a good yard over. Fair play to the officials (especially the 5th) for calling it right. That scenario in a cup final is an officials worst nightmare and I bet until St Johnstone scored their second, they were worried that they may have made a wrong decision.

• Paid Members

Every reputable source is reporting he's away now. He got a lot of criticism because of who he is, but he did a fine job. Be interesting to see how he does in a truly competitive league though.

Larsson is the bookies favourite to take over.

• Paid Members
Every reputable source is reporting he's away now. He got a lot of criticism because of who he is, but he did a fine job. Be interesting to see how he does in a truly competitive league though.

Larsson is the bookies favourite to take over.

A fine job...really?

Archived