100 Matches You Really Should See...

ShortOrderCook

Kurt Angle vs. Roderick Strong

Roderick Strong looks really excited for this, quite right too. It hard to believe looking at Strong's tights, his physique, his haircut and listening to his promo that he worked a gimmick in RoH as an intense wrestler with dangerous backbreakers or whatever it was. He looks like an annoying college kid here. The story here is really well done from the slap to Angle's intensity after the roll up. I'm a bit harsh on Angle sometimes, I don't think he protects his finishers near as much as he should do, but I have to admit that there's times where he's just great fun to watch, either as a comedy goon or an intense super wrestler. Smackdown on a Saturday morning in this period and a bit before was just a fun relaxing watch. For some reason I think mornings are the ideal time for wrestling shows. I'm not really sure why.

Hulk Hogan vs Stan Hansen

I love Stan Hansen and haven't really seen enough of him. I love his look, his intensity, the way he wrestles, his aura, everything. But I hadn't watched any of his stuff for ages until I watched this match and reminded myself of how great he is. He also makes people when he takes as much offence as this because of how protected he seems to be in other matches. He's one of those guys who knows his place. I love the story with Hogan firing off the intensity early against a man he knows is a double tough bastard. Good match.

AJ Styles vs Sean Waltman

Fun game of one upmanship. SOC's right about the Styles Clash though, it's mostly shit. Although someone did a poor Styles Clash at TripleMania the other night and as a result it ties in with earlier work on the knee which amused me. Anyway, my lasting thought from this match was how much I loved the tunnel entrances TNA used to use. They were a bit small time but I loved the shots from inside the tunnel and I'd love it if someone used a bigger version of it. Aside from the ramps the whole TNA setup is looking as ropey as fuck here though. Entertaining wee match. I keep meaning to check out some of the shows from around the FSN time actually. That's when they had a one hour TV show and time limits right? I always liked that idea and the execution when I watched the shows (which was rarely admittedly). My ideal wrestling TV show would actually be an hour long and shown in the morning. Bugger this two or three hour horseplay. I give most of the TV shows I enjoy an hour, why would I give wrestling more than that when half of its going to be padding? I've gone off topic again.

I've been meaning to check out that Dragon Gate match since you posted it but I haven't bothered. That sums up my interest in Dragon Gate I think. I'm curious about giving it a go, for whatever reason, but then I'm reminded of the two shite guys in IWRG and that it'll probably be full of the forearm exchange things which are alright in small doses but tend to get on my wick after a while. And I assume it's probably more guilty of some of the things I hate about Arena Mexico main events (the long finishing sequences which seem like turn taking) which I kinda feel tend to deflate matches and leave them a bit unsatisfying as viewing experiences. But then maybe I'm being unfair with my assumptions. Eventually I'll try that match you posted SOC and find out I guess.

On the by, this is a genius idea for a thread.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

You NEED to see more Stan Hansen. For me he's up there with Jerry Lawler, Terry Funk and Motivated Barry Windham for best of all time. He's fucking spectacular.I only offered one match up to SOC, hope it gets in.

Haven't watched every match yet on the list, although there's a couple I intend to get to, like Styles/Waltman and Flair/Hart, but I'll chime in with my thoughts on a few now. I think this could be a Gold-worthy thread when all is said and done, it'd be nice to keep the flow going with discussion.

Angle vs. Strong

Kurt is really at his best as the intense wrestling machine IMO, he does goofy very well but he shines in this environment especially. Really have to get to those other Invitationals mentioned too. Mostly this match just served to remind me how much I'd love to see Kurt Angle finish up his career with a year in WWE.

Hogan vs. Hansen

Wow, this was a big surprise. I've never seen Hansen before, but know he was big in Japan and influenced guys like Bradshaw. Hogan knew how to adapt to the Japanese fans, which was perhaps the most impressive thing. The intensity and aggression drew me in so much, I didn't even mind the Japanese commentary, which I normally can't stand. The brawling outside the ring seemed well before its time (whether it was or not, I wouldn't know, the match happened before I was born). Also interesting to me was seeing Hogan finish the match with the Axe Bomber instead of the leg drop, first time I had seen that as well. Just enough violence and blood in that one without seeming gratuitous. Loved it.

Hamada vs. Satomura

I need to go back and watch it in full as I had to go out in the middle of it, but it made me think the ladies of the E are slacking off, or Johnny Ace needs to hire better talent (probably the latter). Amazing athleticism, as said, not just for female wrestlers, but wrestlers in general. It was a nice change to see women's wrestling treated with respect instead of wolf whistles and catcalling.

Dibiase vs. Blazer

First time seeing Owen under the Blazer gimmick. I had no idea he had that much athleticism in him, I thought he was a bit too big to pull off that style of offense so gracefully, from what I've seen he wrestled more conservatively as himself. Dibiase gave him a lot more than you would expect given his standing in the WWF, and I loved the way the powerslam finished proceedings, it made Dibiase look good for pulling off such a skilled counter, and the suddenness gave Blazer an out as he was on a roll.

I'll watch a couple of the others later today, they might not be all to my tastes but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.

I've been meaning to check out that Dragon Gate match since you posted it but I haven't bothered. That sums up my interest in Dragon Gate I think. I'm curious about giving it a go, for whatever reason, but then I'm reminded of the two shite guys in IWRG and that it'll probably be full of the forearm exchange things which are alright in small doses but tend to get on my wick after a while. And I assume it's probably more guilty of some of the things I hate about Arena Mexico main events (the long finishing sequences which seem like turn taking) which I kinda feel tend to deflate matches and leave them a bit unsatisfying as viewing experiences. But then maybe I'm being unfair with my assumptions. Eventually I'll try that match you posted SOC and find out I guess.

I haven't bothered with the Dragon Gate myself. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head on why I don''t enjoy most modern Japan. Even the one promotion that I occasionally follow (NJPW) can be guilty of having finishing sequences that look like two blokes having a dance. I'd personally put New Japan over the others though cos they can be good at selling a dramatic story in their big matches. There's also some fun characters to invest in at the minute with American style face/heel dynamics.Hansen is someone everybody should watch more of. He's got a match on my list as well. Such a great, believable brute.

• Moderators

Hogan vs. HansenHogan knew how to adapt to the Japanese fans, which was perhaps the most impressive thing.

You do know that Hogan was a God in Japan for years and years and years? He'd kick about Inoki! He was even known as Ichiban! In 1983 he was probably top Gaijin and a megadraw! He was a massive star in Japan before he was one in the US. It's not impressive adapting, Hogan knows Japan.

Watching Hogan work matches in Japan is always fascinating as it tells you a lot about why he does the things he does for the US crowds. It makes you realise that, even by the mid 80s, he'd streamlined his act of all unnecessary material. He can do mat wrestling, chain wrestling, he can work different styles and use different moves, he just doesn't need to most of the time.

That realization is a great argument for hogan beign a fantastic wrestler too. Not the Japan matches as such, but the way he hones them down for America. Being a great wrestler isn't about all the things you can do, but the things you opt to do. Hogan knows what works and does it, he doesn't feel the need to get all his shit in.

• Paid Members

Glad to see some more discussion occurring in here. Was a bit concerned this might turn into just 100 posts from me, which would be rubbish.I love the bit before the match from Hogan - Hansen where Hulk is watching Stans mad entrance and just turns and looks at someone else in the room with a sly smirk like 'ha, there he goes, look at that nutter'.There will be more Stan Hansen and Hogan in Japan to come in the list yet.

• Paid Members

Being a great wrestler isn't about all the things you can do, but the things you opt to do. Hogan knows what works and does it, he doesn't feel the need to get all his shit in.

Hogan is the living definition of "the best worker is the one that gets them to make the most noise by doing the least." I love that interview he gave where he said sheepishly "I ain't got much. I got three punches, a boot and a legdrop." It's batshit to think of the amount of things that wrestlers all over the world are trying to cram into 10 minutes, or worse still stretching out their match for 45 minutes because there's just so much they want to do to prove they're a great wrestler, and then failing to tell a story in the end, like Davey I don't need to tell you who I mean.Here's a dose of wisdom from the man :

Another favorite story of mine is back in WCW Johnny B. Badd had a hard hitting match with plancas, shooting stars and big suplexes and after the match was lying on the locker room floor with ice on both ankles in alot of discomfort and pain...Hogan walks in after his match, slightly sweaty and completely fine and takes one look at him and just says "You need to learn how to work."

• Paid Members

There's a moment in a Hansen match against Kobashi where he just stomps on one of those Japanese rookies who surround the ring. It's a great moment.

There was a match in last year's G1 I think you'd appreciate, or at least the shenanigans surrounding it between *I think* Minoru Suzuki and Tanahashi where Suzuki boots the young boy off the apron that's holding the ropes open for him (which he traditionally does), then boots his opponent's young boy as well. After the match two ladies get into the ring to present Suzuki with an oversized comedy cheque representing his "big fight" winner's purse money, IIRC Suzuki boots the ref off the apron after he's held the ropes open for the models. After the photos have been taken and the girlies are safely out of the ring, my mate and me as one started shouting "boot the cheque!! Boot the cheque!!" as Suzuki pondered it. And he did. When a grown man has booted enough innocent bystanders, he turns his attention to inanimate objects.

Archived