100 Matches You Really Should See...

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

The thing that struck me about MLW whenever I saw it on TWC was that the crowd were absolutely silent. I thought the sound had failed during the Samoa Joe v Mike Awesome match, they were they that quiet.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

One of my favourite stories is of Court Bauers 2nd promotion. I remember he was going to start up a company called H2 Wrestling which sounded amazing. They were going be a real life version of Def Jam Vendetta, running in intimate venues with the fans around the ring. They were going to have a six sided ring (which was interesting at the time) with platforms on the ring posts and all this cool different stuff. They'd booked the likes of AJ Styles, Low Ki, Homicide, Chris Hero, Christopher Daniels, CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Jack Evans, Vampiro, Sabu and this long list of indy wank from the day. Bret Hart was going to make an appearances. Gary Hart was going to be in change of this big stable. It was all going so well. I even had my knob out reading all this. Then they announced Teddy Hart was the executive producer and alarm bells started ringing and then they failed to run a single show. Court Bauer had a load of great ideas. Even in MLW, their booking seemed way better than ROH and TNA in theory. Its just that in practice it never worked. MLW always ended up fucking it up. You can see why Court became a WWE writer. Good ideas man, but crap delivering it on screen.I like to call it WrestleXpress USA. I dont know if it was like this for anyone else, but back in the early 2000 to mid 2000s if a new promotion had a nice website with bios I was in. "THEY HAVE A PICTURE GALLERY AND HEIGHTS AND WEIGHTS!!!~~" *spaff, spaff, spaff*

• Paid Members

One of my favourite stories is of Court Bauers 2nd promotion. I remember he was going to start up a company called H2 Wrestling which sounded amazing. They were going be a real life version of Def Jam Vendetta, running in intimate venues with the fans around the ring. They were going to have a six sided ring (which was interesting at the time) with platforms on the ring posts and all this cool different stuff. They'd booked the likes of AJ Styles, Low Ki, Homicide, Chris Hero, Christopher Daniels, CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Jack Evans, Vampiro, Sabu and this long list of indy wank from the day. Bret Hart was going to make an appearances. Gary Hart was going to be in change of this big stable. It was all going so well. I even had my knob out reading all this. Then they announced Teddy Hart was the executive producer and alarm bells started ringing and then they failed to run a single show. Court Bauer had a load of great ideas. Even in MLW, their booking seemed way better than ROH and TNA in theory. Its just that in practice it never worked. MLW always ended up fucking it up. You can see why Court became a WWE writer. Good ideas man, but crap delivering it on screen.

I'd definitely have watched that back then. I watched all the junk they had on TWC back then, usually at 4am in the morning feeding my daughter, and that certainly sounds better than 3PW and CZW.

#89 -'Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase vs The Blue Blazer, WWF Saturday Nights Main Event, 16/2/89

Remember this from the Best of Saturday Night's Main Event. Was a cracking little match, and without watching it again, MDM does a cracking Powerslam pin I love me a good powerslam, now and a gain with grace and beauty rather than the sort of super speed ones you see today . Great choice!

• Paid Members

Did you have many Andre the Giant submissions. If I got up off my lazy backside Andre vs. Killer Khan would have been one of my submissions.

Just the one.#88 - Rock N Roll Express vs. Ivan Koloff and Krusher Kruschev, JCP 09/07/85WATCH IT
WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?TheCumDoctor;

This is on the tag team DVD. When I seen it, I was in shock. It feels like it's on forever, but for once that's a good thing. It's because of how excruciating the tension is between the two teams. Robert Gibson does the best Ricky Morton job ever and by the time he gets out, you're climbing the walls. It's a wonderful tag team match.

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?I found it quite hard to get into at first, partly because I've just never liked the Rock 'n' Rolls, mainly because I've always thought they just look ridiculous and struggle to take them seriously. It is long but that adds to the drama of the build to the big tag and it does make for a classic babyface underdog story that has gone on to be done by many others since, you can tell the influence they've had. Really good finish too.

• Paid Members

Has this thread ended cos I was enjoying watching the matches recommended.

It all relies on SOC getting time to post the clips, and due to him putting his own thoughts on as well, he has to watch each of the 100 matches which is fun, but very time consuming.Look on it as a nice surprise when you log in and there are a few more on.

• Paid Members

I was intending to have posted a few more by now but had an unexpectedly busy weekend and haven't really had the chance since. On top of that my router is playing up so I can only get online on my phone at present. But, yeah this thread will probably take a while anyway.

• Paid Members

X-Pac vs Sabu from 3PW would be worthy of this list. I never sent it on mine, but the thing about this thread is, certain matches are triggering other matches that I remember being pretty great. I remember at the time getting that on bulk order from a trader. In mid-2002, X-Pac was shit apparently. He never had good matches, he was well past it and all this. His reputation was the pits. He'd recently been fired from the WWF after being pretty much unsackable for years. And Sabu's reputation was similar. WWF didn't want him and I think he took a strop or something at TNA, so they were fed up. Sticking this pair together seemed like disaster. But it was awesome. A mix of brawling and high spots that just seemed to connect.Haven't seen it in years, so I might have made that up and it might have actually been quite crap. But at the time it was like "fucking hell, X-Pac is back on form". X-Pac seemed to have a habit at the time of knocking top matches out. Shame he was so far gone in terms of his demons, because he could have been a huge asset to a TNA or Ring of Honor or any of those indy feds as a regular, instead a unreliable high priced relic. There was always talk of the FWA bringing him over to work Jonny Storm, but Alex Shane pretty much said it wasn't worth the risk of him not showing up. And in that era, you know he wouldn't have.EDIT: there isn't enough discussion in this thread for my liking. SOC can only do so much. While he's getting the next batch together, we should really make the effort to have a look at some of these matches and talk about them. Maybe some of the matches posted aren't to others tastes or maybe SOC didn't mention something in his write up that you liked. Let's keep this thread ticking.

Archived