100 Matches You Really Should See...

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

I was at that TNA show live. Waltman vs Styles was a cracking little match, loved the one-upmanship from Waltman, "Oh you want to do a a weedy dive over the top rope? I'll do it from the top turnbuckle and break your nose along with it, son!"

Samoa Joe vs Chris Sabin from earlier on in the night was even better.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#98 Hulk Hogan vs Stan Hansen. AJPW, 15/4/1990

This is a super match. I've seen it before but was great fun watching again. You see a totally different side of Hogan here. Incidentally, this match happened about 2 weeks after his Wrestlemania 6 match with The Warrior. I believe Hogan had something to prove here to the people who thought his time had come and gone and that he'd passed on the torch for good.

#96 Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk, Memphis (No DQ) (3/23/81)

That was absolutely fantastic!!! Never seen such a hot crowd for a match which was made up almost entirely of just punches and kicks. Just two guys who want to pound the shit out of each other! Can tell I'm going to really enjoy this thread. Looking forward to seeing what's coming up in the next few days/weeks.

• Paid Members

I was at that TNA show live. Waltman vs Styles was a cracking little match, loved the one-upmanship from Waltman, "Oh you want to do a a weedy dive over the top rope? I'll do it from the top turnbuckle and break your nose along with it, son!"Samoa Joe vs Chris Sabin from earlier on in the night was even better.

I love that match! I was a regular TNA watcher for Joe's early run and I think that's my favourite from that run.

• Paid Members

#95 LA Park vs La Parka, AAA, Triplemania XVIII

WATCH IT

, HERE,
and

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

Besides that it's two guys dressed as skeletons wrestling each other? It's a huge AAA match which Vamp voted for. LA Park is the original La Parka (the one you'd know from WCW) as you can tell by his boots. As I understand it AAA had began to use the La Parka gimmick and stuck it on someone else and LA Park had returned to the promotion and declared war on the new identity stealing La Parka and this is the blow-off for the rights to the gimmick.

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?

Honestly, i'm not really sure what the big fuss about LA Park is. Although he did seem pretty badass at a few moments throughout this match. The half ripped mask while busted open throughout the majority of the match on La Parka is a nice touch and a excellent visual. The match didn't really grab me until La Parka begins to make his comeback with the table spot, but it really picks up from there. The spot with the managers really does make LA Park look badass. Certainly an interesting watch, if only because it's two skeletons wrestling.

• Paid Members

#94PCW RUMBLE, NEVER GIVE UPWATCH IT

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

Dave Rayne's finest hour. Brilliant rumble, far, far better than the WWE match of the same year. Tweets under the ring, YMCA. Hilarious all the way through.

So says Patdfb.WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?It's good fun, for sure and seemed perfect for its audience. This is my first look at a lot of these guys so was interesting to see some of the characters on the BritWres scene. It's a bit silly for a lot of it but this seems to be a charity show for the young lad featured, so I assume is all done mainly for laughs for that reason.

• Paid Members

There's blood, midgets, referees wrestling, blow-ups dolls, Squashes, chickens, 9 year old girls and even Mark Jindrak.

God damn it, why didn't I include something with chickens?

#98 Hulk Hogan vs Stan Hansen. AJPW, 15/4/1990

This is a super match. I've seen it before but was great fun watching again. You see a totally different side of Hogan here. Incidentally, this match happened about 2 weeks after his Wrestlemania 6 match with The Warrior. I believe Hogan had something to prove here to the people who thought his time had come and gone and that he'd passed on the torch for good.
It's been driving me mad trying to remember which tape it's on for the Silver Vision enthusiasts, I couldn't remember whether it was "Hulkamania Forever" or "Power of Hulkamania", so I looked it up, and it's the latter. I imagine of those of us with dusty Silver Vision collections sitting around, more own that match than realize. Go watch it. AXE BOMBAAAAAA!!

I love that match! I was a regular TNA watcher for Joe's early run and I think that's my favourite from that run.

It's tremendous. It's one of the best examples there is of the short-but-competitive match that accents the strengths of the guy you want to push without completely burying his opponent. The Sonjay match is almost as good, but not quite. The thing I really like about the match was that there was fear with Joe going into TNA that he wouldn't be presented in the same way as he was in ROH, which had made so many a fan of him. TNA were unprepared to put Joe right at the top, at least straight away, but arguably the initial TNA version of Joe was as much fun - if not more - to watch.

• Paid Members

I remember pumping myself up to watch La Park vs La Parka. I'm no lucha addict, but I downloaded it without knowledge of the result and looked forward to it for weeks on end. I dont think I wanted to watch a WrestleMania in years like I looked forward to this thing. I remember being desperate for La Park to win. I remember when I found out years back they'd taken his gimmick and given it to someone else being insulted by it. The heat for the match itself was said by Dr Lucha Steve Sims as the hottest crowd he's ever attended. And he's went to Lucha shows for decades, so thats saying something.

I do think the two things that let down the LA Park vs. La Parka match are the length of the initial beatdown which probably goes on just a tad too long and the fact that the stipulation meant bugger all in the long run. I am an unashamed LA Park fan though, as all good men surely are. No offence Cook.

This is gonna be epic. Kudos for putting the work in Shortorder :thumbsup: I wish I could have put more Memphis on my list -it's some of the best wrestling ever if you ask me - but it's scarce online. Lawler/Funk might be the pinnacle anyway.The Hogan/Hansen match was fun. I love Hogan anyway but it's interesting to see how he adapts to that environment. I need to check out more Japan Hogan now. Out of all the wrestling I watch in my geekery Lucha is the one that I'm finding most difficult to get into. The LA Park match didn't do anything for me (you're right, Park's comeback seemed to take forever to come) but I'm still hopeful Vamp and the like can sway me with their selections.

• Paid Members

It's tremendous. It's one of the best examples there is of the short-but-competitive match that accents the strengths of the guy you want to push without completely burying his opponent. The Sonjay match is almost as good, but not quite. The thing I really like about the match was that there was fear with Joe going into TNA that he wouldn't be presented in the same way as he was in ROH, which had made so many a fan of him. TNA were unprepared to put Joe right at the top, at least straight away, but arguably the initial TNA version of Joe was as much fun - if not more - to watch.

Definitely more fun. He had great matches with everyone in the X Division and even got a good match out of that idiot Sabu.I like the Sonjay Dutt match as well, rewatched that recently. I can't remember Dutt having a better match than that in the times I saw him in various places.

• Paid Members

There is a Samoa Joe match in the list I sent from TNA in 2006. There may be a lot of Joe love in this thread. 2005/06 Samoa Joe was one of the very few things in TNA's 11 year history that moved numbers. Samoa Joe several separate 60,000 buys on PPV might be up there with Cena vs Rock in terms of how he got blood out of a stone. TNA getting 60,000 buys in 2013 seems as likely as Austin debuting for them. They fucked him up so much, heads should have rolled for it.

• Paid Members

I bloody loved his entrance for his match with Jushin Thunder Liger at Bound For Glory 2005 as well:-

Just watched that Hogan v Hansen match, absolute belter. Hansen should have his own 100 matches thread. Wasn't that keen on that Do Fixer match, though, seemed to go on forever.

#94PCW RUMBLE, NEVER GIVE UPWATCH IT

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?It's good fun, for sure and seemed perfect for its audience. This is my first look at a lot of these guys so was interesting to see some of the characters on the BritWres scene. It's a bit silly for a lot of it but this seems to be a charity show for the young lad featured, so I assume is all done mainly for laughs for that reason.
Yes, I'm somewhat of a PCW mark, but it encapsulates something that is more 'raw' than you see on a WWE/TNA show. it's something that entertains and amuses and is daft. Callum, the young lad who has some funky brain disease is top notch as is his mum and dad, and are both seen at many britwres shows. This match showcases britwres talent has comedy seldom seen in the big two as well as some proper wrestling.Sure wont be everyone's cup of tea, but it was a cracking watch in the flesh and still holds up now.

Archived