100 Matches You Really Should See...

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

#66 'Macho Man' Randy Savage and Strike Force vs The Honky Tonk Man and The Hart Foundation, Six Man Elimination Cage Match - WWF, Boston Garden, 05/03/88

WATCH IT

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

A unique match and match concept. You don't see many multi-man cage matches and certainly not many multi-man elimination cage matches in WWF/E. Possibly because it's a bit of a tricky concept in that (as Alfred Hayes mentions on commentary here) that by gaining the advantage by having a team member escape the cage you instantly put your team at a numbers disadvantage. Which personally I think makes it an interesting concept and should provide some fun ideas and stories to tell. This match is actually fairly short, but heated with constant action, I think they could have got a bit longer out of it and more out of the concept. Macho is massively, massively over here.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

#65 Kurt Angle vs Ric Flair - WWE, Raw, 27/06/05

WATCH IT HERE

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

This is such a wonderful, forgotten match. The two attempt to out-chop, out-cheat and out-WHOOO! each other. I can't believe how dirty and vicious these two great technicians get with each other : there's biting, grabbing each other by the balls, the works.

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?

I remember watching this at the time, I've fond memories of Raw from 2005 where I generally watched it live each week and it usually delivered. I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I think it's a really under-appreciated period for WWE. This match is loads of fun, better than I actually remember. Early on you get the impression Flair is absolutely relishing getting to work with Kurt. The story is simple and works perfectly in producing a realistically even match with Kurt clearly bettering Ric for the most part but never able to really gain true momentum or the full advantage as Flair continually cuts his offence off with increasingly dirty 'vintage' Flair tactics, which Kurt sells up a treat.

• Paid Members

SHORTORDERCOOK SELECTION

#64 Low Ki vs Raven - WWF, Metal, June 2001

WATCH IT

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

I vividly remember watching this at the time and being pretty amazed by it. Admittedly, it doesn't really hold up quite so well today and doesn't seem so amazing but at the time I was quite blown away by Low Ki, seeing him for the first time and couldn't believe how much offence he was getting in against Raven when I was anticipating a general standard Metal squash. I was convinced Low Ki must be some new talent they were bringing up, which they occasionally did with Metal regulars like they did with Papi Chaulo/Essa Rios. Raven is extremely generous here and it provides a thoroughly entertaining little 5 minute match. I love these matches that are meant to be squashes but come out of nowhere and surprise with how competitive they are due to the name talent letting the jobber get a load of their shit in. Razor Ramon was pretty good with that too.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

To bridge the gap to the next set of matches being posted, I thought I'd breath a bit of live back into this thread with this match I was reminded of recently, which fits in quite nicely.

Although both guys were past their primes, this is classic good vs evil. All the trademark moves are pulled off, the Flair flip, Flair Flop, Hulking out, etc.

It was the match we all wanted, but 10 years too late. Even so, when Real American kicks in, the crowd and I go mental. Love this match. Complete cliche, but thats what makes it wonderful.

Archived