100 Matches You Really Should See...

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Forgot all about this one. Loved it when I first saw it almost 20 years ago (!) and it still holds up as an excellent example of two fantastic workers making the best of a bad deal (i.e. getting 4 frigging minutes to tell a story).

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I know not everybody on here is a "watch every bit of wrestling possible" knob like me, but.....

#83 Owen Hart vs. the 123 Kid - WWF, King of the Ring '94, 19/06/94

..... the possibility there are people that haven't seen this match upsets and worries me. This was my favourite 5 minutes or under match up until Raven/Goldberg, as we've discussed in a thread about shorter matches not long ago, and it's one of the best reasons to dig the PPV out.

Yeah, the two had a longer match on Action Zone that some people would describe as technically a better match, because it has time to develop, and I'll even argue against the "non-finish" criticism because the drama (and false finishes) that build to the ending are brilliant. But THIS is the one people remember, and crow about.

The start as Ian alluded to makes you sit up and go "fucking hell!" It means so much more than most evil heel sneaky pre-bell attacks, firstly because of the absolute brutal shit-kicking that Kid is selling from after his first round match with Jeff Jarrett - he'd been piledriven a couple of times, and I for one didn't expect him to even emerge for this match. Secondly, it's horrific. It looks like either Owen thought "fuck it, I'll dropkick him as hard as I can and hope for the best," or it's the best bit of working I've ever seen.

What basically happens for the next four minutes is the perfect marriage of Kid as plucky underdog babyface, and Owen as the equally hard-working heel who you want to see beaten not because he's cheating (in this one) but just because he's a cunt. The styles mesh as well as any two wrestlers on the planet at that point in time, Kid doing all of his batshit crazy offence because he's in there with somebody that can keep up with him and even small enough for him to suplex, Owen doing all of his offence which looked so much better doing it on a guy the size of Kid. His German suplex was smooth as silk and he could belly-to-belly and powerbomb Kid so easily it looked devastating.

Owen could really go. I'm not going to subscribe to the 100% fapper view that he was better than Bret, but in his best years he could have a good match with anyone. You put him with a diamond like Kid, even for four minutes, and something special was almost guaranteed. Four years later of course, the two would meet at King of the Ring again. Some people were disappointed in that match at the time because this sprint had set the bar so high. But go back and watch the match by itself - on it's own merit, it's a great match.

But yeah, 1994 edition. The overriding thing that made this match so special, was the "making you care" factor.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

In that four minutes, you're off your seat imploring Kid to beat the twat. And you're crushed when he doesn't.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

That's the thing that makes a match - ANY MATCH - great. Does it draw you in, does it excite you, does it make you care who wins. I don't care whether it's the way Hogan v Warrior did it, the way Eddie and Rey did it, or the way Cena v Mark Henry does it.

These guys did it in spades. In four fucking minutes.

• Paid Members
I know not everybody on here is a "watch every bit of wrestling possible" knob like me, but.....

#83 Owen Hart vs. the 123 Kid - WWF, King of the Ring '94, 19/06/94

..... the possibility there are people that haven't seen this match upsets and worries me.

I hadn't seen it until a few years ago, which was either watching that King of the Ring for the first time or from that short matches thread on here you referenced. '95 was the one year I was completely taken away from wrestling, having no access to it as my mate with Sky and loads of videos had gone off it. WM X being the last thing I got to see for a while until we got Sky in at the end of '95. It's nuts to think back and how that felt like the longest time without my beloved wrestling, when really it was no time at all. Anyway, that was through no control of my own, but I've often found many missed that year too as it was then everyone switched off before coming back in '98 and '99, so I reckon it can definitely be classed as unseen by many and also one that certainly should be seen.

Might be favourite on the list so far, massively in part due to the much discussed time of the match. I've got a great appreciation for that - it's something people always go on about in wrestling giving this guy, that guy, this match more time. And talking about house shows and indy shows being better because of longer matches and shit because they don't have the time constraints of TV. I've always thought that would be one of the hardest things in being a wrestler and a real over-looked skill, structuring your match, telling your story with a limited time. This match shows it can be done, admittedly the short nature of this match works well in the late stage of the tournament concept, but that's the story of the match and why it works so well, but it's amazing because it doesn't feel like it's 4 minutes because of how much seems to happen, it's just absolutely constant. But, yeah - proof of how much you can do with limited time. I hate the excuse wrestlers and fans moan about saying they should be given more time. If you're really that good, make the most of the time you do have, that time is opportunity in itself so many would be desperate for - don't waste a single second of it, as in wrestling - projecting yourself, portraying your character and creating your aura - every little thing, every detail matters.

• Paid Members

One other point I forgot to make was the co-operation between the two of them - the give and take. I imagine a lot of wrestlers being told they have a four minute match would think "how am I going to get all of my shit in." The pair of them split the big moves and near falls practically equally. Take that Northern Lights suplex near-fall - some heels in the midst of a main event run like Owen would be hesitant to let Kid run them so close. But a match where it has been a close contest and the victor has had to dig deep to win - even inside four minutes, and even if he happens to be a heel - stands out far better and lives in the memory longer than if you just go out there, get all your stuff in and win with ease. People say "that was a great match, that was a good win" whereas if you just flatten someone, then it's no big deal because clearly they weren't on your level to begin with.

Well, unless you're Goldberg, I suppose.

#84 - Diesel and Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart and The Undertaker - WWF House Show, Madison Square Garden, 17/03/96.

That's the first time I've ever watched this match and it was pretty awesome. It really makes me wish Michaels and Hart had the straight (non ironman or screwjob) match they were scheduled to have several times over the 96-97 period when arguably they were both as good as they ever would be.

I am curious why the introductions for he match are made by Dok Hendrix but the result announced by Howard Finkel. Ive never heard of Hendrix doing ring announcing before.

• Paid Members

SHORTORDER SELECTION SPECIAL!

#82 - Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs The Great Muta, NJPW, 20/10/96

WATCH IT HERE

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

This is another that quite frankly, probably has been seen by many on this board, but being from the Japs there's always a pretty high probability it's not been seen by just as many, if not more. I've not caught a whole great deal from any of the Japanese promotions myself, just bits and pieces over the years, but this was one that i happened across that caught my interest - being familiar with the two guys involved. I adore this match and so much about it. It's so pro-wrestling. I don't even know the story behind the match occurring, out of context I still find it simply wonderful. It's two Japan icons facing off for starters. But it's like two superheroes colliding and I love that in pro-wrestling and that pro-wrestling can create that magic so wonderfully. And this match is just that, magic. I'm more than happy to have elements of fantasy, other-worldliness, wrestlers being presented as beyond mere mortal in my pro-wrestling. In fact I encourage it in certain doses. And this is just the right level of that for me. I love the entrances, I love that they seem like two super-heroes colliding, I love the way the match develops and I adore the big spot of the match. And Ligers in his sexiest outfit. I don't really want to give too much a way for those who haven't seen it, so i'll stick the rest of this in tags.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

This match marks the birth of 'Kishin Liger'. Muta dominates for the most part, gradually resorting to more and more dirty and brutal tactics. Eventually he takes it too far, ripping at Ligers mask, tearing it totally apart, spawning a beast that appears in many ways his equal and ignites a fury in him. It's a great moment, pulled off really well and the reaction is just tremendous.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

It's a wonderful storytelling match that really isn't as "heavy going" as a big Puro match can be. Muta is just himself throughout, doing all the little things that have always made Muto/Muta a big deal. It's not really his match as much as it is Liger's though, what with this coming less than three months after his brain tumour, that could have been game set and match for his career. Incredible that he was back in the ring so soon and indeed a few months after this he was winning the J-Crown he was instrumental in forming, in a belting match with Ultimo Dragon at his peak. What a bloke.

In terms of watching the match in context.... actually, the context you can pick up from watching the match by itself won't be that different from how it was played in Japan. It's the Red Power Ranger against one of Rita's monsters.

tumblr_mq78qb4aLj1svsahho1_250.jpgVS tumblr_mq78qrQT141svsahho1_250.jpg

Errr, except the Red Power Ranger dressed up as the white one for a laugh.

So... yeah. It's a match every Puro nut has seen, and it's quality "don't take it too seriously" wrestling. I mean, I'm sure you'll have entries that are bordering on farce, I don't mean like that, but it's "good vs evil" rather than "serious sporting contest." And spawned one of the best remembered images for fans of mid-nineties New Japan.

Spoilery image -

http://24.media.tumblr.com/a627d9a26cf251d...vsahho1_250.jpg

The Muta/Liger match was the very first puro match I've ever seen. It's almost feels like an anime at times. Awesome match despite some of it's plodding moments. It's probably one of Muta's better performances too.

Just got done watching muta/liger again and I'd agree entirely with SOC. Not being a huge puro fan but knowing a fair bit about both guys I think the match is faultless and I love all muta's little touches and movements.

And just to add generally this thread has been brilliant. Great work SOC

• Paid Members

#81 PAC vs Kris Travis - SWE, Speed King Tournament, 22/04/12

WATCH IT

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

A good display of some of the talent British wrestling can produce.

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?

Enjoyable match. Kris Travis makes for quite a decent hateable prick, although judging by the youtube comments to this video he seems to have quite the gay following. Which isn't too surprising I suppose, there's certainly something a little mince about him, which isn't a knock as it adds to his whole act nicely. It's easy to see why Pac got snapped up by the big time. Solid look and capable of incredible feats of athleticism. He could do very well, although he's predominantly a flyer he's got a solid physique and looks strong as shit too. He's probably ready for TV now, he'll surely show up on the actual shows within the next 12 months.

• Paid Members

#80 Dragon Kid vs Ricochet - DRAGON GATE KOBE PRO-WRESTLING FESTIVAL, 22/7/12

WATCH IT HERE

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

Not everyone will have seen a recent example of the innovative high-flying matches taking place outside the WWE bubble, and I think this is a great example, for Dragon Gate's Open The Brave Gate title. Super smooth, fast paced, with a jaw dropping finish.

So says Air_Raid

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?

Was looking forward to watching this as i'd been keen to see stuff from both guys and Dragon Gate in general. But wasn't sure about this one, not really for me this unfortunately. Was all a bit too exhibition for my liking and all sizzle, no steak. Lots and lots of lovely flips and 'ranas and big spots but no real substance. Some of the spots are impressive, but many also have far too much of the feeling of working together or waiting to perform a move than wrestling each other. Ricochet in particular is most guilty of this, especially with some of the top rope spots, where he's just waiting nicely in position for Dragon Kid to hit his shit. Those moments just took me right out of the match unfortunately.

• Paid Members

#79 Barry Windham vs Steve Regal - WCW, Main Event, 02/05/93

WATCH IT HERE

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

Let's ask Big Rob;

This is before Regal got a character, and he was just a young wrestler without any real direction. Big Barry had turned on Dustin Rhodes and was now a villain, and still pretty great at this time. Barry gave Regal just enough that it looked like he might just take the title, and that

• Paid Members
#79 Barry Windham vs Steve Regal - WCW, Main Event, 02/05/93

I'd forgotten all about this but it brings memories flooding back just seeing the names together because I remember watching this match with my dad on a Saturday afternoon on ITV. My dad rarely bothered looking up from his paper when I had "the wrestling" on, unless one of his favourites like Arn Anderson, Rick Rude or Bulldog were on. But even he got into this. Probably just because Regal was 'our guy' at first, but looking back, he was as swept up in the match as I was by the closing stretch. That's a testament to Regal's fiery babyface work (which we didn't get to see too often but I thought he was underrated in that role), and Windham was a great baddie. I remember feeling proper betrayed when he turned on Dustin.

I haven't seen the match in years, but I'm definitely going to watch it now and see if it's as good as I remember.

Archived