100 Matches You Really Should See...

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

#70 Necro Butcher Vs Samoa Joe - IWA: Mid-South, 11/05/05

WATCH IT HERE

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

'He powerslammed him on his forehead!!!

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?

I've got mixed feeling on both guys but I really do love this match. A perhaps bizarre mix, but really works and is in the ideal setting. It's absolutely brutal, intense and hard-hitting as fuck right from the off-set. Joe damn near kills Necro on a couple of occasions. There's a great photo from this match, with Joe, smothered in Necros blood, standing over a beaten, bloody Necro that just sums this match up and is a great picture. The moments just before that picture, where Necro musters up a short comeback, lumping Joe a bunch of times but only leads to Joe retaliating with a flurry of open palm strikes and then a series of brutal knee strikes to Necros skull is the highlight.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Eddie Kingston's commentary during that match is spectacular. He's not getting smart-asre shit in like CM Punk tries to the whole match. Kingston is just going crazy.

"OOOOHHH he done kicked him right in the fucking face! He lit him up!"

I've got to be honest, I bloody love Joe.

Even now, I adore his matches. The only issue I have, is that I have to ignore how much his tenure in TNA has murdered his aura, character, presence... Everything.

If he'd have played the game, not have been such a mark for himself and gone to WWE, I think he'd have been a star.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Punk is pretty horrible but luckily doesn't detract from the match and what seems like an amazing atmosphere. Punk could be so much more enjoyable if it wasn't for his incessant smartarsery.

Daz, pre TNA ruined Joe got a lot of votes. Including from me and I'm not his biggest fan. He'll feature again. This match is possibly my favourite of Joe and how he should be presented. Still, I could never really have seen him fitting or making it in WWE personally.

I've got to be honest, I bloody love Joe.

Even now, I adore his matches. The only issue I have, is that I have to ignore how much his tenure in TNA has murdered his aura, character, presence... Everything.

If he'd have played the game, not have been such a mark for himself and gone to WWE, I think he'd have been a star.

It's remarkable how much of a mistake he's made in hindsight especially as his 2 ROH mates are facing JOHN CENA and BROCK LESNAR in the main events. It's almost a shame really, because I remember really desperately wanting to see Samoa Joe vs. Brock Lesnar for a while.

Anyway, Joe died for me when he went to a 2 minute non-finish with Masato Tanaka in 1PW. Never been more disappointed at a live show.

Back to the match, it's wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

Daz, pre TNA ruined Joe got a lot of votes. Including from me and I'm not his biggest fan. He'll feature again. This match is possibly my favourite of Joe and how he should be presented. Still, I could never really have seen him fitting or making it in WWE personally.

It depends.

I think he'd have looked wildly different if and when he got to television. They'd have either whipped him into shape, or let him get really, really fat and look imposing that way.

He was the original pick for Umaga, right?

If he hadn't felt above that sort of character work, that could have been good.

What's hilarious is that once TNA got fed up of letting Joe book himself as a sort of out-of-shape, MMA killer, they turned hm into a savage with a sword and a willy drawn on his chops. Wounded.

• Paid Members

I think that's part of the reason I can't come round to WWE Joe. If he was to have been the original Umaga, I just can't see that. A big part of that is because he doesn't look like your typical WWE Samoan in the way Umaga did, indeed he just looked moronic when TNA 'savaged' him up and he couldn't pull it off. He's only ever looked fat, not solid thick hard as nails fat like proper Samoans do. I could never have took him seriously like that, he is best suited to pretending to be an MMA guy, those are his strengths. And its probably a lot of bias on my part also because I absolutely fucking love Umaga and think he's a thousand times better than Joe ever has been.

I think the reason that its hard to see Joe as Umaga is based solely on the job that the real Umaga did with it. He was sensational. But, if we didn't have that reference point it'd be different.

I think a Joe Umaga would have been wildly different to what we ended up with. He'd have been less manic, more cold, more calculated.

I think it could have worked.

• Paid Members

So anyroads, we're 30 matches in. Any of you checking out matches you hadn't already seen? Definitely noticed most of the discussion comes from matches popping up you've already seen and simply been reminded of, rather than something completely new. Anything new you've discovered, enjoyed or been surprised by? Seems most take to watching a match if the dynamic sounds particularly intriguing - Hogan in Japan against Hansen being the main one there.

What's your favourite match in the list so far?

• Awards Moderator

That Headshrinkers match - like Reznor, I just can't really see why it was done then. Amazing, brutal spot to be sure, but such a waste. Otherwise I love them kicking the tar out of one of them, just to toss him into his mate's corner to have a go on him too.

And just seeing the phrase "SmackDown Six" just brought a massive grin to my face, I'd completely forgotten that run of in-ring wrestling greatness.

SOC, great work by the way. Really interesting rundown. Personally I'm more interested in WWE matches / talent as after years of trying other companies I can only get excited about the WWE 'style'.

Archived