100 Matches You Really Should See...

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

#78 ECW Originals vs The New Breed, Extreme Rules Match - WWE ECW, April 2007

WATCH IT HERE

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

HarmonicGenerator tells you why;

Why they didn't put this match on at 'Mania instead of the frankly dull regular eight-man, I don't know, but this, for my money, was the best match the ECW brand had before it turned into a regular WWE C-show in its later years. It escalates and intensifies perfectly, shows the Originals' strengths and makes the New Breed seem just as good, and more importantly, ready to become stars of the brand. Granted, with some of those guys it never would have worked, but I'd have bought into Elijah Burke after this match. Would have stolen the show at Mania, instead it's been all but forgotten

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?

Generator sums things up pretty neatly there. It's a cracking little match that is suitably chaotic and non-stop action from the get go. The Originals look pretty great here, as they should in this kind of setting and it all goes off botch free. Burke too, looks tremendous and the finish is great, fabulously brutal.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

#77 Chris Jericho vs Ultimo Dragon - WAR, 26/03/95

WATCH IT HERE

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

Never really been much of a fan of Jericho, certainly one of the most over-rated guys around for me. Outside of his heel run a few years back against Michaels and very early WWE stuff I've never thought he's any great shakes. Although I did enjoy his heel WCW cruiser tenure also and I think that's where he tends to work best, alongside the cruisers. His heel run a few years back was also decent because it featured a cracking series against Mysterio. Here is another example of that, this is a fun little match. The big moves come in early and it's full of neat counters. Full of them. No guy ever really gains the sustained advantage, they're extremely well matched and that and the continuous great counters keep them both looking strong. Nice finishing stretch. I truly hate Jerichos 'C'MON BABY!' mind.

• Paid Members
#78 ECW Originals vs The New Breed, Extreme Rules Match - WWE ECW, April 2007

Yeah, it's a cracking match, that. The ending is brilliant. I really liked Elijah Burke, I was hoping he'd stick around in WWE for a bit longer.

• Paid Members

I've had a couple of matches sent to me since starting this thread that a couple of posters have suggested. It also seems clear since starting this thread that certain matches being posted has reminded, sparked memory of other matches previously forgotten that are considered worthy. And I've got a fair few matches that I can happily sacrifice that I don't think should really go in this thread. Sorry guys, despite there being a couple of SummerSlam and WrestleMania matches offered up that I personally hadn't actually seen, I don't think they should qualify.

So i'm opening this up again for a few more suggestions if any of you have any matches you want to offer up? I've also got several matches i'm struggling to find links for, so those won't be included but i'll do a post at some point including all of those that didn't make the cut due to lack of linkage. So if you've got some matches you want to suggest, by all means do and they may get included - email them to me at thisiswherethepowerlies@gmail.com.

And just so you lads know, BigRob, Cleetus, Squatternut, pat and air_raid - most (if not all) your matches from your original votes should be included.

I should be posting a few more matches today.

• Paid Members

#75 Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan vs Mr. Perfect and The Genius - WWE, Saturday Nights Main Event, February 1990

WATCH IT

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

Absolutely bloody fantastic tag match from SNME. Mr Perfect bumping like a loon, a Moonsault from the Genius. Okay the wrestling wasn't brilliant, but the crowd were mentally hot and the whole thing is a joy to watch from start to finish.

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?

Besides what Pat has mentioned there, this is great and worth a watch as it's the follow on from the big angle at The Royal Rumble where Warrior and Hogan come face to face for the first time in that epic moment and where the tension really begins to be set up for the WrestleMania main event. The post match is great, the crowd are raucous the entire match, but when Warrior clobbers Hogan the tone instantly changes and they almost fall silent. It then features their great sweat-coated head to head that's pretty iconic. Perfect really does bump around like an absolute nutter in this as well.

• Paid Members

#74 Jimmy Havoc vs Chris Renfrew, Scottish World of Sport Rules - ICW, Insane in the Membrane, 01/07/12

WATCH IT

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

In a Scottish world of sports match the two participants have to down a shot of double vodka and a TRIPLE Jack Daniels and Coke between each round. What follows is hilarious, brutal, stupid, scary, pissed -up anti-wrestling. One of a kind.

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?

From ButternutSquashs description I was a bit disappointed by it really. But that's because I thought it would be something a bit nuttier and the drinks stipulation would really add an interesting element. It didn't so much, it was just like many other hardcore/deathmatch style matches. That being said, I did strangely enjoy it. The lemon spot was a nice touch and I quite enjoy Jimmy Havoc from what I've seen of him, but i'm not sure why exactly.

Loved it. I might finally be coming round to some Lucha, easily my favourite bit of Lucha I've seen yet.

Knew I'd get there eventually. They've had another barnstormer this year and what I thought was a pretty damn good tag match as well. I'm sure the links are on here but I might try and dig for 'em later.

According to Santo (ahem) he's setting up a Santo vs. Park vs. Wagner match for the masks at a free show this year. He's not. Although maybe a four way with an obvious loser isn't completely out of the question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

SHORTORDERCOOK SELECTION SPECIAL!

#73 Edge vs Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit vs Eddie Guerrero, #1 Contender Elimination match - WWE, Smackdown, December 2002

WATCH IT

AND

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

This match took place somewhere in the midst of, or rather, evolved from that incredible series of matches from the 'Smackdown Six' in 2002 centred around the shiny new Smackdown tag belts also featuring Chavo and Rey as well as these four chaps. There's several tremendous matches from that time featuring these guys, but this may well be my favourite, yet is seemingly forgotten. It was this match that first sold me on and convinced me of the idea of Edge as a main event guy...only not how he actually ended up there. As here, he puts in a champion babyface performance channelling Bret Hart and Randy Savage with his 'my knees fucked, but i'm going to power through it anyway' selling. Following this and how he'd been gaining momentum through the summer and having banging matches on the regular, at the time I really felt Edge was going to step up that next level and belong in the main event as a top babyface. That may well have happened if it wasn't for the injury in early '03 which seemed such horrid timing for him.

This match is PPV quality, which isn't too surprising considering who's involved and the way they wrestled on the TV shows at the time. The closing stretch is just glorious, although some may consider it being guilty of the time old Kurt Angle formula, here that isn't a bad thing as it fits perfectly with great near falls and counters and the crowd are all over this for the final ten minutes. It takes a suitably big finish to put away the plucky, full of heart of Edge and he comes out of this looking superb.

• Paid Members

#72 Tony Roy and Mike Davis vs The Headshrinkers - WWF, Wrestling Challenge, 18/08/93

WATCH IT HERE

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

Still one of the most crazy spots I've ever seen, extremely fun squash match. Literally a squash.

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?

There's really only one reason to watch this and that's for the spot that finishes this short squash that BigRob references there. But you really should see it. Rikishi wasn't afraid of taking risks with that splash for such a big guy. Mad spot that even seems so watching today and it came long before the Attitude Era where crazy spots became the norm.

• Paid Members

I remember watching it when they first aired it. I couldn't believe it, it was probably the most amazing thing I'd seen in wrestling to that point. It still looks absolutely brutal now.

I've always been really fascinated by that squash/spot, specifically wondering 'why?'

It just seemed so weird, wasted and out-of-place. I'm intrigued as to what their thinking was, and what motivated them to do it at such a meaningless time. Were they that desperate to make it onto the Challenge/Superstars opening montage?

Amazing stuff all the same. Very memorable.

I've always been really fascinated by that squash/spot, specifically wondering 'why?'

It just seemed so weird, wasted and out-of-place. I'm intrigued as to what their thinking was, and what motivated them to do it at such a meaningless time. Were they that desperate to make it onto the Challenge/Superstars opening montage?

Amazing stuff all the same. Very memorable.

Going into the Bret era they needed something flashy yet non muscular.

• Paid Members

#71 Bruiser Brody & Bubba Rogers vs. Jumbo Tsuruta & John Tenta, 03/09/88

WATCH IT HERE AND HERE

WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?

patbfb says;

Sometimes it's just great to see four giants batter the snot out of each other. This is one of those times!

WHAT DO I THINK OF IT?

Indeed, there's not much to this beyond four big fuckers knocking each other about. But that is indeed great fun. And this is interesting if only for the uniqueness of who's involved and seeing some early Bossman and Tenta. All four guys move really well for big lumps and it's always great to see some Brody, which I should really scope out even more of, in looking for dates of this match there's a bunch of interesting sounding matches of his i'd like to check out. Shame there isn't much more Brody submitted, but I remind people of my earlier post above - feel free to send some more submissions if you've been reminded of some. There's matches to be cut.

Archived