Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Paid Members

They could've burned Yara, or even Gendry. Both have King's Blood and it's not like either of them are doing anything particularly important. Where IS Yara anyway. It can't take that long to sail from the Iron Islands to the North surely?

".

How does Yara have King's Blood? Isn't she Theon's sister, daughter of Lord of Iron Islands?

Balon, their Dad, declared himself King during the Greyjoy Rebellion before the show, and again when Theon took Winterfell in Season 2. He hasn't done much, like, but it should be enough for Melisandre.

Book readers, which I am not, can probably expect Shireen to meet a similar fate; that idea was pitched by George RR Martin..

It's probably best to keep that discussion out of this thread. There's not a lot of spoilers left, but it could still upset some folk. At the very least, I'd imagine a few people will want to read the books after the show is done.

• Paid Members

Yara has fucked off back to the Iron Islands, so how can they burn her? She's nowhere near them. Same with Gendry. In fact he's probably the other side of Ulthos given how long he's been fucking rowing.

• Paid Members

Stannis isn't a complete fanatic, but it has to be remembered that he thinks that he's doing this for a lot more than just the iron throne at this point. If he fails to take Winterfell, there could be a chain of events that leads to the zombie hordes taking all of Westeros almost unopposed.

• Paid Members

Yara has fucked off back to the Iron Islands, so how can they burn her? She's nowhere near them. Same with Gendry. In fact he's probably the other side of Ulthos given how long he's been fucking rowing.

The show isn't made week to week. If they'd wanted to burn one of those two, it would've been fairly easy to write them back in in previous episodes.

It still would've been messed up but a lot less so than Stannis burning Shireen, which makes little sense. Stannis now has no heir, so his men will have no one to rally around if he dies in the battle. He's also, quite publicly, committed one of the worst crimes in Westeros. The Northerners hate Theon for killing his two *foster* brothers. How are they going to feel about Stannis murdering his own child? And if the North won't fight for him then what, exactly, is the point of him freeing Winterfell?

We're heading into a three way battle where Littlefinger is the least evil of the three Commanders. That's pretty messed up right there. Who exactly are we supposed to be rooting for?

I think it's been the poorest season to date and a very grim one at that. The burning of Stannis' daughter felt like a step too far to me. As some mentioned earlier, this and the rape of Sansa didn't have the brilliant shock effect that the Red Wedding or the execution of Ned Stark had. They were just unpleasant viewing. 

Paedophilia and child sacrifice all in one episode. Offcom will be ringing off the hook.

They're too busy laughing at everyone moaning about a dog from Britains Got Talent to be dealing with anything to with Game of Thrones, which if you've made this far into the series you should expect the bleakness

I think it's been the poorest season to date and a very grim one at that. The burning of Stannis' daughter felt like a step too far to me. As some mentioned earlier, this and the rape of Sansa didn't have the brilliant shock effect that the Red Wedding or the execution of Ned Stark had. They were just unpleasant viewing. 

Yeah I worry we're getting further into the territory of shocking stuff for the sake of it. Earlier big moments were shocking, yet made sense, had huge implications on the story and all tied into the mega complex politics and so on. Shireen and Sansa kinda felt like we spent the whole season waiting for them to immolate/rape and then they did. It's only shocking by virtue of what the show portrayed rather than the story. Also there were elements of the show jumping to these moments rather logically getting to them - Sansa required Littlefinger to be completely in the dark about the Boltons - Shireen requires Stannis to do a pretty big 180 (especially when he's a guy known for being stubborn as hell and surviving an endless siege where his men ate rats/boots/whatever).

It's dangerous when a show becomes too obsessed with "moments" rather than story, look at Sons of Anarchy. The 2nd season has an incredibly shocking and dark moment which drives so much of what happens and characters motivations. The same sort of thing was happening on a regular basis towards the end and in had little impact and detracted from what was going on..

Edited by organizedkaos

And if that's the last we see of Dorne...I'm totally ok with that. Seems a bit of a waste.

The scenes in Dorne have come across like Carry On Westeros or something. I had to double check that Prince Doran's bodyguard wasn't being played by a blacked up Bernard Bresslaw.