Facebook updates that blow your mind

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

So tired of seeing people post about the 5p shopping bag charge.

I had one share this morning that said a conglomerate of the four biggest supermarkets we're donating the money made from bags to animal testing and vivisection. A quick Google revealed it was actually Alzheimer's research, and the only mention of "animal testing" was by the Facebook page from which the post was shared.

I work in a shop, and the amount of people who are now some kind of balancing act because they're too tight to pay 5p is hilarious. "Why did you come up with this idea?" Is the best ice had so far, as if I'm the person responsible for it all

"Do you need a bag for your items?"

" I suppose I have to, otherwise people will think I'm stealing" is another great one.

Add to all this people moaning about the lack of Apple Pay/Contactless payment because people are too lazy to remember bleeding numbers

It's amazing how people can get so worked up about something so trivial. It's like Facebook updates that blow your mind but in real life. If they're spending half an hour shopping but refuse to pay for four carrier bags at a grand total of 20p then you wonder how little they value their time. The same people who buy ready meals with more packaging than calories are the same people who complain about the 5p charge. 

Edited by Undefeated Steak

And it's not like they were free before, these overheads are obviously factored in to the prices..

Bang on. Supermarkets were never complimenting customers with free bags. They paid for millions a year and we were charged accordingly.

It's more of a principal thing isnt it for some people.

Yeah its only 5pence, but still, regardless of the price why pay to advertise a store? I'd rather struggle myself.

Would people be more willing to accept the 5p charge for a brand-free bag? I doubt it. The newsagents down the road from us doesn't advertise their shop but they're still getting the same grief Morrisons do with their logo on the plastic.

Not to get all Al Gore about it, but If it changes peoples habits and stops plastic bags going to landfill then I've nothing wrong with it. Can't remember where I saw it reported, it may have been the bbc, but last year it was 7.5b bags that went to landfill. It's just people having a moan for the sake of having a moan. They'll take advantage of every BOGOF offer they can, but god forbid paying for a bag to transport it back home

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Moderators

I like the bag charge, but you definitely need to sort your shit out and get Contactless payment* in your store. Not having that makes you look proper second rate.

* even though it's a stupid fucking name as your card does actually make contact with the reader. Why not just PINless payment?