DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

When I had the VHS of Rosemary's Baby, it pretty much killed the whole idea that she might be imagining it by telling you in the blurb that she was having the Devils baby.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

My Planet of the Apes boxed set has the Statue of Liberty on the cover.

My ex's brother was bad for spoilers. He was probably even worse when he was ordered not to say what happened, as he'd end up watching the film with me and going "Watch what happens to him", "You'll not believe how she dies" and "Get ready for a surprise".

• Paid Members

The missus and I have decided to go to the cinema this weekend, but, we're torn with what to watch. She's wanting to watch American Sniper, which I wouldn't mind watching also, but, I think I would rather see Foxcatcher.

I've seen them both over the past week and they are both really good, but American Sniper edges it for me. Foxcatcher is a bit slow at certain parts and could've done with cutting about 30 minutes of it. Nevertheless, Steve Carrell is great in it.

Sniper has a good flow to it. It didn't feel like it was dragging at any point.

• Paid Members

I tried watching Hercules at the weekend. The new one with The Rock in it. I gave up after 45 minutes. There wasn't anything spectacularly bad about it but it was just so bland and dull and nothing special that I just couldn't be bothered. 

Saw Foxcatcher today. On first viewing I wasn't too bothered by the length of it, which I know has been an issue with some. Well acted by everyone, apart from maybe Tatum who may just be a monotone meathead who struggles to convey emotion anyway so it might not have much of a stretch for him.

The only thing that bugged me was a scene were the team of wrestlers are watching the Gary Goodridge fight from UFC 8 when he crucified Paul Herrera. The scene is meant to be in 1987, 9 years before that fight took place. I'm not usually one for getting annoyed by anachronisms, but that was truely shocking

• Awards Moderator

"Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder."

2382219-tumblr_m9lvrzyqfs1rex0u1o1_500.p

Seriously though, I did wonder when watching Foxcatcher whether UFC was around in 1988, but I guess it was there to set up the scenes with Mark Schultz at the end.

Saw Whiplash at the weekend. Between the Fletcher character here and Schillinger in Oz, JK Simmons may have played two of the most terrifying characters ever.

Yeah, I didn't want to be The Simpsons nerd, but it did bug me. It's not like these things are hard to check. I'm sure they could have got the rights to some old boxing and have them saying why wrestling is better than boxing or something. Like I say, being out by a little bit I usually look the other, but being by nearly a decade is just shoddy

Demolished Anzacs and most of the way through The Pacific, whilst off work with Ebolaids.  

Anzacs despite being 30 years old, is still fantastic. Paul Hogan, is Croc Dundee even then, but it's a great look at WWI and is really work a watch. The theme song stuck in my head since it was shown on the Beeb in the mid 1980's. It's violent shocking (not suprising as some of it is directed by George Miller) and isnt afraid to shy away from some home truths, especially with Haig/Lloyd George.

Recommended.

The Pacific isnt a patch on Band of Brothers, but is still glossy enough. I've got as far as Iwo Jima and only two episodes to go.. The mish mash of three stories, Leckie, Sledge and Basilone, means that it's uneven in pace and ep7 was extremely hagiographic, distracting from the whole thing.  I guess it doesnt flow as well so is harder to connect.. Enjoyable but not brilliant

Yeah, I didn't want to be The Simpsons nerd, but it did bug me. It's not like these things are hard to check. I'm sure they could have got the rights to some old boxing and have them saying why wrestling is better than boxing or something. Like I say, being out by a little bit I usually look the other, but being by nearly a decade is just shoddy

There's a whole article on What Culture pointing out 10 inaccuracies with the film and that UFC bit is one of them 

Then they'd have to make him a boxer at the end, and that'd cause even more complaints.

• Paid Members

I've got a £10 HMV voucher burning a hole in my pocket from Christmas and i can't decide what to spend it on. 

I'd like to think my taste in film is fairly transparent, so what would the good people of the UKFF reccommend from the following?

A Walk Among the Tombstones

The Equaliser

Misfire (a new Gary Daniels movie)

Alternatively, if there's anything else decent out, i'm open to reccomendations.

Secondly, does anyone know where i could watch Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films?  I'm desperate to see it but cant find it to buy anywhere.

Cheers.

• Paid Members

Secondly, does anyone know where i could watch Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films? I'm desperate to see it but cant find it to buy anywhere.

Cheers.

I'd like to watch this too, just on the strength of that name.