DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I also saw Batman Vs Supeman yesterday. What a load of shit. No wonder that Wonder Woman got all the raves following on from that it was a masterpiece! (it wasn't, but it was a very good Superhero film for the most part).

In fact the only good but was when Batman was fighting and it was like watching  real life version of the Arkham Knight video game.

Where are Universal going with this Monsterverse shit? Are Dracula and the Wolf Man going to pop up in King Kong films? Are they in the same universe now? Will there be a monster Avengers teaming up to fight giant sea monsters and stuff? Otherwise how is it any different to all the other times they've tried to reboot their monster franchises?

• Paid Members

It's funny, because Dark Universe is probably dreadful, but really, what is the whole shared universe thing if not just a modern update of the old Universal "Dracula vs. The Wolfman" nonsense anyway?

• Paid Members

This Dark Universe thing is flawed from the outset. They're releasing and announcing these things like there haven't been half a million Mummy and Frankenstein and Dracula films down the decades. People are bored with this stuff. It's doomed from the outset.

From what I heard, Cruise wanted The Mummy to be more like the Stephen Sommers reboot and more of an action adventure whereas the studio wanted it to be darker and more horror-based. Which is why it ended up with about the weakest 15 certificate I've seen for ages. It's a better film when it's what Cruise aimed for. When it tries to be a horror film, it's absolutely awful.

• Paid Members

There's absolutely room for that. The two John Wick films are set in a 'universe' where so little has yet been explored or explained and are pretty unique in their set-up. I personally think it would be a terrific idea but only as long as a bunch of hacks aren't lined up to make them.

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

There's absolutely room for that. The two John Wick films are set in a 'universe' where so little has yet been explored or explained and are pretty unique in their set-up. I personally think it would be a terrific idea but only as long as a bunch of hacks aren't lined up to make them.

Still have the 2nd to watch, but I'd love a stand alone film about Daniels from The Wire and how he is the most badass hotel front desk worker in the world.

Started with The Mummy last night but nodded off. Seen enough to notice how refreshing it was to see Tom Cruise play someone charismatic without any of his real life weirdoness shining through.

Kong was a really nice surprise though. Kong might have even outshone John C Reilly in this and he wasn't in it that much. Thought they'd have been better served getting Statham in to be the SAS bad ass though and Sam Jackson needed to be a bit more whacky other wise what's the point in having him in that role.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Still have the 2nd to watch, but I'd love a stand alone film about Daniels from The Wire and how he is the most badass hotel front desk worker in the world.

Agreed. There are back stories to be told about so much in that franchise. I think it's the most exciting action film development for quite some time, the potential for that series is massive. 

30 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Agreed. There are back stories to be told about so much in that franchise. I think it's the most exciting action film development for quite some time, the potential for that series is massive. 

It makes you wonder if, given how Marvel have cheesecaked action films, new films are planned with a multiverse to fall back on should it be a success?

• Paid Members

My understanding is that they always planned on a trilogy for John Wick. Given that the two films have been comparatively low budget, I think it was considerably less fraught with potential financial damage than stuff like Dark Universe or Valerian.

Marvel / DC seem to always be well marketed and are less problematic on that front, especially as they have a huge in-built audiences. But the future of action franchises definitely lies, outside of capes, in stuff like John Wick and The Accountant. 

The latter was a surprise box office success but was cleverly made so that there was room for franchising if it did well. It stands alone as its own film rather than a cynical 'to be continued' affair like The Hunger Games stuff but also leaves room for sequel development.