Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Paid Members

Did I imagine it or has Jericho put himself on The Rock's and Austn's level when talking about his time in the Attitude era WWE?

I don't think he believes he's on that level, but he certainly sees himself as a top guy- one of those on the level just below Rock and Austin, which to be fair he was around 2000-2001. I don't have any issue with him talking about himself in that way, it's the whole 'guys like us' routine that annoys me when he talks about how badly him and his midcard mates were held back for years and years before he became a top guy.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Did I imagine it or has Jericho put himself on The Rock's and Austn's level when talking about his time in the Attitude era WWE?

Jericho puts himself on everybody's level. Talking to Triple H, it's "guys like us and Rock and Steve who raised the bar in the attitude era." Talking to Batista, it's "guys like us who can do wrestling and movies." He's the embodiment of Kevin Nash's promo on Raw.

• Paid Members

and loads would vote it the best feud since they started hating wrestling.

Haha. There's definitely something to that. What else would be on that wrestling hipster list?

Michaels/Jericho, the Straight Edge Society and every Chris Masters Superstars match. Wrestling done right, you guys.

• Paid Members

I wasn't a big fan of it either, but it was very highly thought of even at the time. I bet a lot of people would vote it one of the best feuds of all time, and loads would vote it the best feud since they started hating wrestling.

Have to agree. I'd gone through the realisation that Jericho is a one-trick pony who's heel persona makes him look like an angry gnome so I was down on Jericho but I didn't care for that feud or their WM match. Same for HBK's matches with Angle. Two guys out there trying to have a classic match rather than having a match which draws people in to the story and is therefore classic. As HBK is generally a super worker, I'll put it down to Angle and Jericho being over-rated spot monkeys.

• Paid Members

Have to agree. I'd gone through the realisation that Jericho is a one-trick pony who's heel persona makes him look like an angry gnome 

Definately his WWE heel persona, but I think his WCW heel act was the best of his career by a country mile.

• Paid Members

While Jericho is full of himself, I personally thought that heel run was great fun. Out of it you got the HBK feud (which I liked, anyway), Jerishow and that decent feud with Mysterio. Granted, none of it was Hogan v Piper, but there was some memorable angles and matches during that run he had.

It all went to shite when he returned to face CM Punk and he did those "End of the World" promos, which led to him trying to troll the crowd and it not really working. He then became the massive self parody he is today.

The absolute worst thing about angry suit Jericho was how they had Swagger (and occasionally Miz) imitate it. With Swagger, it happened the second he won the title. They missed out not letting him keep the fratboy jock act as champion, he could have been much more of a wind-up doing victory laps and things. He'd have been great for leading a stable in that gimmick. Instead, he was like a big boring bargain bin version of Jericho.

Anyone here this weeks Swerve with Vince Russo? He of course is over here in the UK at the mo and was at the Wrestle Talk studios for 2 days and wasn't happy at all with 'Ben' on the first day as the interview was more like an "interrogation".

EZ

I watched a few weeks ago and a guy called Ben Spindler interviewed Drew McIntyre. I guess it was him Russo was talking about.

• Moderators

The absolute worst thing about angry suit Jericho was how they had Swagger (and occasionally Miz) imitate it. With Swagger, it happened the second he won the title. They missed out not letting him keep the fratboy jock act as champion, he could have been much more of a wind-up doing victory laps and things. He'd have been great for leading a stable in that gimmick. Instead, he was like a big boring bargain bin version of Jericho.

And then of course Jericho would get pissed off because he was the only person to do that ever of course, with all the big words, and Nick Bockwinkel never existed and AWA wasn't Winnipeg TV during Jericho's childhood so he could never have known even if he did. Fuck Chris Jericho.

Jericho quite often says he imitated bochwinkel. His issue is that he copied him 20 years later, whilst miz and swagger did it while he was about. Has an over inflated ego, but a valid point