UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

One of my all time favourite producers, L'Orange, has a new collab record coming out with Namir Blade and they've released the first single. I've never heard of Namir before but I quite like it. He has a very distinctive sound. I'm looking forward to hearing the full album.

All over this! The 2nd Marlowe album from last year would've been in my 2020 top 5 if I hadn't only first listened to a couple of months ago.

This really could be quite special.

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/talib-kweli-offers-promising-update-on-the-long-delayed-madlib-produced-blackstar-album.html

I love Black Star. I love Madlib. What could go wrong?

Also, has anyone seen any of these 'Verzuz' things? I am a Ghostface and Raekwon fan but I can't be arsed to watch them "battle" with their songs and have a chat, seems a bit pointless? I might be wrong though.

The Armand Hammer/Alchemist album Haram is a fucking trip. In places so dense and thick, I've listened to it 3 or 4 times now and am still finding some new bits.

Billy Woods is one of the best rappers out there right now and the album just goes off in to some really experimental places. I love it, I can't remember a hip hop album that was quite as interesting as this. Alchemist is one some run right now, and it's heartening to see hip hop artists taking risks. I really REALLY want him to score a film.

This is probably my current favourite. 

Big fan of the Earl Sweatshirt feature as well on Falling Out The Sky (have been revisiting his stuff a lot recently) and Curly Castro popping up with "Fuck Puff, survivors remorse should keep him fucked up". No holding back with that line!

Also been playing a lot of the new (ish) Navy Blue album, which is really cool. If you like quite jazzy, soulful, introspective hip hop I think you'll like it. https://navybluethetruest.bandcamp.com/ I really loved his Ada Irin album so glad this was of the same quality.

And finally, been watching a lot of old Skinnyman footage and forgot about this and how much I loved the tape this was from. That shop was something else and watching this instantly takes me back 20 years.

• Paid Members

Sadly the inevitable bad news...

Not going to pretend he was one of my favourite rappers but I enjoyed a lot of his stuff and he was killing it around the late 90s/early 2000s. A big character and such a distinctive voice. A really sad loss. 50’s fuck all. I saw a video of him from a week or so ago and he looked like he was loving life and in really good spirits. Just days later he’s gone. Addiction is a bastard.

This old video of DMX and his daughter has been doing the rounds again. Not gonna lie I felt myself welling up a bit watching it. 

• Paid Members

Poor DMX. He had it didnt it? When you heard that voice shit just stopped. I remember watching that couples therapy, where he came across very angry and mean spirited and then broke down over how shit his life had been since a child and you kinda felt for him. Always stuck with me.

Also, Lex Luger's favourite rapper.

Some struggles are sadly too big.

I think its forgotten just how much he pretty much ruled rap in the late 90s. There were times when 3 hours of Westwood was just DMX and Ruff Ryders etc tunes. He was EVERYWHERE. 

Some of my favourite memories are teenage house parties where Party Up would cause a mini mosh everytime it went on. 

He was a real one.