UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, deathrey said:

Some of his music was pretty powerful, I remember listening to 'Slipping' and thinking that I hadn't really heard a song quite so real and frank by a rapper in a long time.

Probably my favourite DMX song, just been playing that along with ‘Damien’, ‘How’s It Goin’ Down’ and ‘Stop Being Greedy’.

Love this clip of him and Rakim as well...

• Paid Members

For fuck’s sake. No sooner has DMX gone, this has popped up. Black Rob...

Whatever he’s going through I hope he pulls through it. And I know I’m not really helping by sharing it on here but what are the motives for sticking a camera in his face while he’s like this and asking him about DMX passing? He’s clearly in some pain here and this prick’s after a scoop?

Edit - He had a stroke a while back apparently but I don’t know if that’s linked to his current situation. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Never thought it was a sample but here we are!

Haven't listened to anything new this week, apart from the new Kool Keith https://www.noisemag.net/avant-premiere-scorn-kool-keith-submerged-ep-premier-extrait-clippe/ but I did get told about this Wiki dude who seems to have passed me by. He made this great track with Madlib which I've been enjoying a lot.

Also, the What Had Happened Was podcast, hosted by Open Mike Eagle, this series focuses on El-P. It's really fantastic and the first 3 episodes have been a joy.

The first series, looking at Prince Paul's career is brilliant too. Really superb hip hop podcast. 

And lastly, a few newsletters (they're back, and in pog form) I've subbed to and discovered new music/articles/whatever from.

That Cabbages podcast is a lot of fun too.

13 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I heard that eggs track a while back but had not seen the video. It's a good video!

Yeah hes pretty decent isn't he? Excited to delve in a bit more. Reminds me a tiny bit of Edan (a good thing obviously) in his structure but a bit less silly. 

• Paid Members
On 4/15/2021 at 1:57 PM, SuperBacon said:

Did you check the Haram album yet? Keen to hear what you think.

I had the house to myself this morning so been catching up on some recent releases. I’d heard loads of good things about Haram but I don’t know, I couldn’t fully get into it for whatever reason. Standout track was ‘Falling Out The Sky’ for me on first listen, I really liked that song. And the production on the whole is quality throughout but that’s pretty much always the case with Alchemist. Something didn’t click for me but it’s the kind of album I think might grow on me with a few more spins.

Conway’s new project ‘La Maquina’ came out yesterday as well. The Griselda lot are kind of over killing it for me now. I admire them constantly working but it seems like a release every other week now. Saying that, of the lot, I can always take some new Conway. I like Benny a lot too but I haven’t enjoyed his stuff as much since Tana Talk 3 and the original Plugs I Met. Conway’s a little bit more consistent for me. This wasn’t his best work but it’s still really good.

’Bruiser Brody’;

“On beats I get Krayzie Bizzy I coulda rapped with Bone”. 

While I’m on Griselda, Benny put out this track with Ransom as well called ‘Spineless’;

And like I said, I’m not in love with Benny on this. It’s OK but I don’t know. I’m not feeling it that much. Ransom stole this easily for me. 

Elsewhere, Talib Kweli and Diamond D put an album out called Gotham yesterday. I’ve only checked out ‘Attention Span’ off it so far and that’s just because I love a bit of Skyzoo;

I’ll have to give the rest a go at some point. There’s a track with Busta Rhymes on there as well. 

Oh and I really dig this Freddie Gibbs song ‘Big Boss Rabbit’ that came out the other week;

There’s not much Gibbs I don’t enjoy though. 

Edited by wandshogun09