UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

12 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

New Evidence album coming out soon.. Here's a track off it produced by Alchemist.

It's a nice track. I don't really care for the Griselda lot and that Armand Hammer album didn't grab me so nice to hear Al doing something I'm interested in again as he's great.

I absolutely adore Evidence and always have. I obviously like lots of different hip hop styles, but if someone held a gun to my head and said "Play a track that truly defines what you like about rap" it'd probably be a Dilated/Evidence or Atmosphere track. Just such a consistent artist, and a fantastic producer (and Grammy winner!) in his own right.

The features look great too, and I'm so happy Navy Blue is on there. For me, he's the best "new" artist out there. 

spacer.png

There's ANOTHER Alchemist project coming this week and I like the lead off from it. MORE NAVY BLUE!

End it off with a bit of classic Evidence and one of my favourite Primo beats (by numbers but I don't care)

Lovely stuff.

On 5/1/2021 at 6:17 PM, SuperBacon said:

This has just been added to Netflix. I think a rewatch is in order.

My husband made me rewatch it about 6 months ago. I had even less idea what was going on than the first time I watched it.

6 hours ago, deathrey said:

My husband made me rewatch it about 6 months ago. I had even less idea what was going on than the first time I watched it.

I absolutely love "hip hop" films and will sit through any old shit if it has rappers in leading roles. I've even watched the Master P films, including all time shit classic,  I Got The Hook Up, and all time just shit MP Da Last Don. Don't go searching for them. 

Belly's OK, but if the leads were anyone else it would never be revisited.

Speaking of Master P, I genuinely had NEVER clocked this despite it being one of my favourite songs of all time.

4 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

This might bet better put in the retro game thread but is this Timbaland/Danja beat actually sampling an old game? It goes real fucking hard regardless, works perfectly for a grime MC as shown by Big Zuu too.

What a tune, and AYO, thanks to TECHNOLOGY,  we can find the sample pretty easily these days. 

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/266023/50-Cent-Justin-Timberlake-Timbaland-Ayo-Technology-Ueberschall-SIDPLYL006.wav/

Long gone are the days of sitting and listening to old funk and jazz records for hours. To the future!

On 5/6/2021 at 12:05 AM, Arch Stanton said:

FUCK. YES. 

Had no idea this was coming, this news had made my week. 

Tracklist:

DOOM Side:
[02:26] 01. The King and Eye feat. Darryl "DMC" McDaniels
[03:16] 02. Czarwyn's Theory of People Getting Loose feat. Kendra Morris
[02:17] 03. Mando Calrissian
[02:44] 04. DOOM Unto Others

CZAR Side:
[03:50] 05. Jason & The Czargonauts feat. Del the Funky Homosapien
[02:29] 06. Break in the Action
[01:45] 07. A Name to the Face
[02:11] 08. This is Canon Now
[02:34] 09. So Strange feat. Godforbid
[03:12] 10. Young World

The Czarface/DOOM album is really nice, and I have always thought Esoteric was a fucking excellent rapper, but that This Is Canon Now track is one of the cringiest songs I have ever heard. Pure late 90s/early 00s 'concept rap'. Proper shit.

It's basically #ReleaseTheSnyderCut in rap verses. "Hey Kevin Feige, whilst I got you, listen real quick, by the time you hear this, there better be this epic, Reed Richards, Sue Richards, Human Torch and Thing flick"

Fuck off nerd.

I did enjoy the "sick of playing optimistic like I'm in Thom Yorke's band" line though. 

Production is stellar, and it's probably their most interesting release since the last DOOM collab. 

Ocean Wisdom's new album Stay Sane got another play today. It's brilliant, and a really mature departure from him. He's started experimenting with different flows, singing, and is putting his double time bits where they belong, rather than shoehorning it in, as it sounded a bit like he was on his last couple of albums.

IMO his best work since Chaos 93 and it's great to witness an artists growth like this. This album deserves to be huge.

Racists and Can't Breathe Either are the standouts for me.

40 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Really enjoying the new Csarface/MF DOOM album. I'm not sure who's on production for it but they sure do love the SP1200 sampler, which is never a bad thing.

The Czar-Keys which is long time Esoteric producer 7L and two others who's names escape me right now.