UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

ANOTHER new Atmosphere album on the way. Such a prolific group, and the quality never ever dips to be honest.

This is some nice shit.

Speaking of nice shit, this mix is pretty fantastic and has helped me get through a boring day.

Have been listening to the new Tyler album quite a bit, and whilst I don't think it's on the level of Igor or Flower Boy, it's still brilliant. Especially Sweet/I Thought You Wanted To Dance. Really quite lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up on a few things this weekend and thought a few are worth flagging up.

First up is Unknown T - Adolescence which I really enjoyed. It can be a bit oppressive at times (as all drill can be I find), and he genuinely sounds French in massive parts of his flow (not a bad thing, just threw me) but it had me bopping throughout. If you don't like drill though, this probably ain't for you. Good energy throughout.

Dave - We're All Alone In This Together

Dave is a fantastic rapper, and I loved Psychodrama, and whilst I do think he has a stone cold classic in him, this isn't it. Things that hold it back for me are the slower afrobeat style tracks (System, Lazarus, Law Of Attraction) just don't do it for me (but appreciate that's just me) and the Stormzy featuring Clash is absolutely shit, and the James Blake style 'epic' in the middle Both Sides Of A Smile is a massive swing and a miss. Bloated, and feels really forced and shoehorned.

When it's good though, it's great. The gospel inspired posse cut In The Fire is fantastic. Ghetts kills it as usual, but Gorton based Manny Meekz nicks the MVP verse on this one. 

Then it comes to the last two tracks and they are an absolute force. On the closer Survivors Guilt, Dave opens up about the anxiety and pressure that he feels, and the relationships he's had and lost, but Heart Attack is something else. Near 10 minutes of introspection on guns, crime ("Round here main way to provide for your kin, is in a flick blade,little push bike and a sim"), immigration, domestic violence,  and ends with a recording of his Mum narrating how she came to England from Africa. It's heavy. 

He is incredible throughout, and there is so much thoughtfulness throughout the album, it's a shame he is slightly let down by the production, but there is enough in the great tracks that will keep me coming back.

Gave the DJ Muggs and Hologram (a new name for me) album American Cheese a run through, and it's a nice little listen too. That Hologram dude is pretty good, and I always enjoy Muggs production.

Along with Navy Blue, I think Pink Siifu is one of the most interesting artists around, and these off his forthcoming album don't disappoint. lng hair dnt care and Bussin give you a good idea of what he's all about, so if you like them you'll enjoy the NEGRO album from a few years back.

And finally, some articles I've enjoyed recently. 

One on Wu Tang and art appreciation: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/30/the-guardian-view-on-wu-tang-clans-genius-to-make-and-appreciate-art

Homophobia has been prevalent this week from DaBaby (nope, me neither) and as it rears it's ugly head again (It's always been there to be honest and my own 'separate the art from the artist' feelings become cloudy with hip hop) this is an interesting read on it: https://www.vulture.com/article/essay-dababy-lil-nas-x-homophobia-hip-hop.html

This is a fun read on 2000s rap nostalgia: https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/dos-and-donts-of-2000s-rap-nostalgia-travis-barker-ne-yo-dipset/

Great retrospective on a VERY underrated album: https://www.passionweiss.com/2021/07/21/20th-anniversary-retrospective-cormegas-the-realness/

This interview series with Common is great, especially when he speaks about Dilla: https://codacollection.co/films/a-conversation-with-common

And finally, great to see Gibbs get this type of love: 

Sorry @Chest Rockwell, but one Twitter link isn't too bad!!! Keep your 50 quid dude :) 

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

Don’t know if it’s because I went in with low expectations but I’m quite enjoying this new Nas album ‘King’s Disease 2’. Once again though, Eminem shows up and shits things up. On a song with Nas and EPMD. Just the typical load of fast gibberish wank we’ve had from him for years now. Total cack. Pretty solid album on the whole though. Not even a huge fan of Hit Boy but Nas has sounded better on the two projects he’s done with him than he has since probably ‘Life Is Good’. 

22 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Don’t know if it’s because I went in with low expectations but I’m quite enjoying this new Nas album ‘King’s Disease 2’. Once again though, Eminem shows up and shits things up. On a song with Nas and EPMD. Just the typical load of fast gibberish wank we’ve had from him for years now. Total cack. Pretty solid album on the whole though. Not even a huge fan of Hit Boy but Nas has sounded better on the two projects he’s done with him than he has since probably ‘Life Is Good’. 

That Lauryn Hill verse... 😲🤯😱 Maybe its just because I didnt hear anything new from her in a real, real long time... But it was really nice to hear her rap again...

• Paid Members

Yeah that stood out to me as well. ‘Death Row East’ was another highlight with him kind of clearing up the 2Pac beef just before he died. Really liked ‘Composure’ and ‘Rare’ as well from my first couple of listens. Wasn’t a classic album or anything, not album of the year either, but it’s good. If you go in expecting ‘Illmatic’ or ‘It Was Written’, like some seem to every time with Nas, you’ll be disappointed. But it’s his best work in a while for me. 

39 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

If you go in expecting ‘Illmatic’ or ‘It Was Written’, like some seem to every time with Nas, you’ll be disappointed.

I reckon if you ever go in with this expectation, you won't only be disappointed, you're also fucking stupid. He's 47 and worth an incredible amount. How would a 'new' Illmatic start? "Virtual doorbell companies I flip em with the funky rhythm, I be investing, treasure-chesting, portfolio composition"

I haven't heard this one yet, but I'm sure I'll give it a go when I can be arsed.

The Homeboy Sandman EP (produced by Aesop Rock) is really cool and soundtracked most of this morning. I think Rock is such an underrated producer.

I listened to this earlier, and whilst there is nothing new on here that I didnt know (either about hip hop or Romesh) it's still a fun hour, and great to hear a hip hop show on Radio 2. Romesh will be presenting For The Love Of Hip Hop for the next 4 weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ynmf

Also, I read that Maseo has said that De La have acquired back the rights to their music, so hopefully a whole new generation can enjoy their music. (Of course they could hear it if they looked, but it being on streaming would be huge for them)

And finally, I heard this today for the first time in ages and it reminded me how much I love The Herbaliser*. This features Latryx and is super dope 

*"fun" hip hop fact, Ollie from The Herbalisers brother Barney taught a young SuperBacon how to break dance...badly.

• Paid Members

My sister just texted me that she's just got back from a private party put on by a mate, that she managed to get Ghetts to show up and perform at. He did a freestyle and did a bit of his new album, Conflict of Interest, which she said sounded awesome. Massively jealous; sounds like it was a blast.

Edited by Carbomb

42 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

My sister just texted me that she's just got back from a private party put on by a mate, that she managed to get Ghetts to show up and perform at. He did a freestyle and did a bit of his new album, Conflict of Interest, which she said sounded awesome. Massively jealous; sounds like it was a blast.

Sounds great. I think hes the best rapper around at the moment, and live he is brilliant. 

• Paid Members

Posted in TIL, but I got a text today from my sister saying that today is the 47th birthday of hip-hop. She's been sort of my guide when navigating my new-found interest as it intersects with the dance world, so I've no reason to question her.

47 years ago would place it at 1974, so I'm guessing it's something to do with Gil Scott-Heron's first performance of poetry to music?

EDIT: Seems the "Back to school jam" party that started it started on Aug 11th, but it went on till 4am.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/afrotech.com/amp/hip-hop-birthday-music-tech-innovation

Edited by Carbomb

A timely reminder that Kool Herc and a lot of the founders received absolutely fuck all for their contribution to hip hop.

Still at least we got to meet him at Essential Festival in 2000 and my mate Dave got his shell toes signed by him.

It's a bit cringey, but I've always said that if I ever visit New York, I'll try and go to Sedgwick Avenue on a bit of a pilgrimage.

On 8/13/2021 at 12:13 PM, SuperBacon said:

A timely reminder that Kool Herc and a lot of the founders received absolutely fuck all for their contribution to hip hop.

Still at least we got to meet him at Essential Festival in 2000 and my mate Dave got his shell toes signed by him.

It's a bit cringey, but I've always said that if I ever visit New York, I'll try and go to Sedgwick Avenue on a bit of a pilgrimage.

I’d have to visit Sedgwick too! Not cringey at all!

are you aware of Hush Hip Hop tours?

https://hushtours.com

take a look at the Boogie down bronx tour.

Edited by I like root beer