UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Dai said:

Looking for some recommendations. Tidal suggested 4,5,6 by Kool G Rap a few weeks back. Have listened to it plenty since, and really enjoyed. Tried a few of his albums before and after this one, but not really felt the need to relisten to them. Any suggestions as to what else to listen to from him, or others similar to this timeframe and style? They suggested Jeru The Damaja who Ive been enjoying, as well.

It’s not from that timeframe but his joint album with 38 Spesh ‘Son Of G Rap’ from 2018 is probably my favourite thing he’s done since the 90s stuff. Give it a go if you haven’t already. 

25 minutes ago, Marc Ambush Solo said:

Live And Let Die >>> 4,5,6 but thats my personal opinion...

I’d agree with that but I love both. That’s the KGR equivalent of choosing which Nas album was better between ‘Illmatic’ and ‘It Was Written’ for me. I have my personal favourites but most rappers would kill for an album in their discography as good as the runner ups. 

• Moderators

I fucking love RZAs voice. Sure he's not the most technically gifted rapper, but I don't care. That first Bobby Digital album is a banger and I'm always happy when he turns up to do a guest spot.

Edit: also, Gravediggaz! Come on!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I fucking love RZAs voice. Sure he's not the most technically gifted rapper, but I don't care. That first Bobby Digital album is a banger and I'm always happy when he turns up to do a guest spot.

Edit: also, Gravediggaz! Come on!

He does have a great voice, I will give him that (big of me I know)

On 6/17/2022 at 12:06 PM, Marc Ambush Solo said:

Live And Let Die >>> 4,5,6 but thats my personal opinion...

Ah, Live and Let Die is not on Tidal! Another victim of the copyright laws I assume. A shame if its that good, too. 

2 hours ago, Dai said:

Ah, Live and Let Die is not on Tidal! Another victim of the copyright laws I assume. A shame if its that good, too. 

Its on Spotify though... So looks like its a license thing and not about copyright laws...

I own the original CD so no problem here...

It was also reissued with bonus tracks some years ago...

4 hours ago, Marc Ambush Solo said:

Oh wait... just checked... its no longer on Spotify too.. 

Ah nightmare. As far as I can tell, I have no legit way of buying a digital version of it as well. Crazy to think thats the case in 2022.

• Moderators

Had a last minute trip to Brixton yesterday. Saw Edo G and Fokis, and Large Pro. It was fucking great. The Chip Shop is such a brilliant venue. It's tiny, and there's no stage at all. Seeing Large Pro spitting two feet away from me was quite the experience, especially for a gig I didn't even know about until Monday and wasn't sure I could attend until yesterday afternoon.

Also he's a lot shorter than I thought he would be.

58 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Had a last minute trip to Brixton yesterday. Saw Edo G and Fokis, and Large Pro. It was fucking great. The Chip Shop is such a brilliant venue. It's tiny, and there's no stage at all. Seeing Large Pro spitting two feet away from me was quite the experience, especially for a gig I didn't even know about until Monday and wasn't sure I could attend until yesterday afternoon.

That sounds wicked.

Cracking little spot isn't it? Popped in there before Run The Jewels last month and could've spent all day in there. Got into a conversation with a lad about the late 90s indie rap phase (I normally avoid such things) but everyone in there was sound, and a lovely little vibe.

2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I once saw EPMD perform live here in Rotterdam at the Watt Basement, a former venue over here... There were maybe about 50 people in the crowd if I remember correctly... Mostly white guys... The Basement was also tiny, with a small stage, which was only about 20 cm higher than the floor... So they also performed among the crowd in stead of the podium...

I still remember how sad I not a lot of people showed up for the show... But thats because I'm biased as a huge EPMD fan...