UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

12 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

This is the same promoter as the Jedi Mind Tricks, Immortal Technique & RA tour. Hoping for a Manchester date as Onyx are reportedly still awesome live & I'm yet to see them. 

I assume that's Spread Love? 

I am sure they used to run a night I used to go to 20 odd years ago at The Social, Yoda and Greenpeace were residents, and it was always loads of fun.

• 1 month later...

Finally listened to Cost Of Living by Apollo Brown and Philmore Green, and its excellent. 

Came out in November, and is the usual greatness from Apollo, but Philmore is brilliant as well. His voice reminds me a bit of LL, which is no bad thing, and he suits the production really well.

@Chest Rockwell reckon you'll like this.

Not much else that I've heard that's grabbed me, apart from billy woods, which I'm convinced gets better with each listen.

Also went through the whole of Atmosphere discography. Such a consistent act.

33 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

So hyped for this

I don't really know her but I saw she got a ton of flack for having Jay Electronica on the album because he once used the line "Jaydolf Spitler, rap Hitler" 

Unless I've missed something, it's not the worst line I've ever heard, apart from it being shit.

Good to see billy woods on there as he should be on every album.

I had a slight throwback hip hop moment tonight. Went to a bar for a drink where there is a set of decks and you can have a go. Cue me cutting up EPMD It's My Thing for 10 minutes like it was 1999 and I was on my Numark Blue Dogs 🤣

They had a mic as well, but I was way too sober for that.

7 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Room 25 is one of my favourite rap albums. Its an amazing piece of work.

I will give it a listen, thanks.

One new rap related thing I noticed today is that the most recent billy woods videos were directed by the actor Tim Blake Nelson and his son. 

• 3 weeks later...

So it's hip hop 50th birthday today apparently, so I thought I'd just write what I feel about it.

As a very awkward young person who was routinely angry at my circumstances and frustrated by the life I had, it (along with rock music) really gave me an outlet for that energy and allowed me to process things a bit more steadily and evenly, and I'll always be thankful for that. Also hearing swearing as a kid is fantastic obviously. 

Getting more into it, getting decks, forming a little crew (shudder) were all formative things, as were going to first club nights, and my very best friend is a "hip hop" mate from secondary school, so I suppose I have the music to thank for us still being so close (whinging about Spurs also helps) as well as countless core memories that make me happy every time I think of it.

I'm not really saying anything new here, but hip hop really did give a voice to an underclass that needed and has been a way for that group of people to often lift themselves out of their situations, and that should always be celebrated.

It has its downsides of course, but I love it. I can't imagine not listening to rap music as I get older. It will aways be a part of my life.

It is also the funniest genre or music and will never be defeated in that respect. It is absurd.

It also appealed to my very nerdy, know-it-all nature as rap is littered with pop culture references and before the internet, I HAD to find out what all these things meant and that took some research. What was a jalopy? What was St Ives? What is an Osh Kosh jumpsuit? What was 3 hots and a cot???

Love you hip hop, I think I'll watch Wildstyle tonight.

Have a photo of a young DJ Baconbits cold rocking the 1s and 2s. I met the mother of my children at this party and my mixing clearly had a mesmerising effect, so I owe it all to hip hop really.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...