UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

Yeah I think I've voiced my opinion in this thread in the past about going to see nostalgia / past their prime acts but this one is pretty tempting. Del is the biggest draw though and I did see him with automator doing deltron when they were touring the second album so I don't think this would top that..

Someone has uploaded the entirety of The Hip Hop Years, the Channel 4 documentary from 1999.

I taped this at the time, and absolutely rinsed it. It's as important to me developing such a love for rap, as the music I listened to. We absolutely worshipped this documentary. 

Of course, 25 years have passed since, so it's a bit dated now, and some of the stories are well told, but they weren't when it first aired. 

From seeing Run DMC talking about all their mates laughing at them for Walk This Way, to Kool Herc outside on Sedgwick Avenue and telling about the first jams, to the Charlton Heston/Ice T battle (second episode is probably the best) it's fantastic. 

It was originally in 3 parts, but all in one hit here. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...