UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

It still feels mad, and I hope that a whole new generation learn and love them like we all do.

Prince Paul has said that some of the samples have been replayed or tweaked to get through, but that you won't be able to notice at all.

I had a little cry the other day listening to Rock Co Cane Flow, when Pos says "We De La to the death or at least until we break up"

Still absolutely gutted. Long live De La Soul.

This was live streamed Thursday night, and has been whacked up on YouTube but will probably be pulled, so try and watch it as quick as you can.

First 2 and a half hours are mostly deejays (Stretch, Clark Kent, Tony Touch) with some live performances (I've only scanned through to be fair) and the actual 'live' portion starts at around 2:32ish in, and features Latifah, Common, De La and is well worth watching, if a bit chaotic.

And this from the brilliant Dan Charnas (buy his book Dilla Time, its great) is a superb read. https://slate.com/culture/2023/03/de-la-soul-streaming-legalize-sampling-rap.html

Also, I'm pleased to say that the latest Oddisee album, To What End, is fantastic. Such a consistently great artist, and I'm definitely going to try and get to his next live dates over here in a few months.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Looks like the package tour featuring Ice Cube, Cypress Hill & The Game is adding UK dates for the back end of the year. Only one I've seen so far is Manchester Arena on Dec 7th. 

Not arsed about The Game at all but this could likely be the last chance to see Cube over here so will absolutely be going. 

36 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Looks like the package tour featuring Ice Cube, Cypress Hill & The Game is adding UK dates for the back end of the year. Only one I've seen so far is Manchester Arena on Dec 7th. 

Not arsed about The Game at all but this could likely be the last chance to see Cube over here so will absolutely be going. 

Cypress Hill are always fun live too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how many cassette collectors there are on here (I'm presuming it's about 0) but Ive started a little tape label releasing bootlegs, soundtracks and rarities.

My first release came out today and is WUGAZI - 13 Chambers. A Wu Tang Clan x Fugazi mashup mixtape from 2011.

Untitled-1.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&w=800

And I'm pretty sure my next one is going to be SADEVILLAIN. The Sade x MF DOOM mixtape. This is really just an excuse for me to design album covers I think.

W8V378w.jpg

I've got a bunch more cool ideas in the pipeline. Not just hip hop but some radio sessions, TV, movie and video game soundtracks and full live concerts.

Don't be a rat.

http://everybody-hertz.com

Those look amazing mate, I know @Merzbow loves a cassette tape.

Ive never even heard about that Wugazi thing, so that's very cool. Do you have a twitter for it, as I'd like to send these to a few people I know. 

Edit: Just "copped" one. You now have my address, be nice :)

Edited by SuperBacon

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Got my tape @wordsfromlee very cool! Nova suitably impressed as well.

Was slightly upset it wasn't addressed to SuperBacon, but never mind :)

Also, billy woods has a fantastic new track out so had to share. 

Aesop Rock is on the new album which is incredibly exciting. 

billy and Kenny Segal are playing London in June and I'm well tempted by that to be honest.

Excellent news! Im glad it got there safe. Im upping my packaging game now. I got hold of some frosted clear tapes so I’m doing a mega limited run of 10 Childish Gambino - Culdesac tapes. 

32218876-9-CCA-4-BCA-969-F-07-BCD2-C60-D

I might hold off on the SADEVILLAIN release and go for something more alternative next. Who knows. 

35 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

So I finally got around to giving Little Simz a proper listen after you lot have been banging on about her for years... Her latest one didn't really grab me but Sometimes I Might be Introvert is really fantastic. Cheers!

Next year, Chest checks out some Ghetts :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've listened to Maps the new one from billy woods & Kenny Segal twice already this morning and it is utterly stunning. 

I feel like the track featuring Aesop Rock was made just for me, but actually Danny Brown steals the show of the guest features.

Woods is the best rapper around, and every album surpasses the last. 

• 4 weeks later...