UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Yes yes, I know he can be massively shit live but there is no way I'm missing this.

https://dice.fm/event/wbkav-yasiin-bey-aka-mos-def-performing-black-on-both-sides-7th-oct-troxy-london-tickets

I'll be amazed if this happens. He's pulled UK shows last minute more times than not. Voodoo Black are meant to be supporting though & they're great.

29 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I'll be amazed if this happens. He's pulled UK shows last minute more times than not. Voodoo Black are meant to be supporting though & they're great.

Worst comes to worst, I can get on stage and run through (most of) the album, as I know it off by heart.

Probably give track 15 a miss though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bit quiet over the last few months but this is what I've been listening to past few weeks.

Roc Marciano - The Elephant Mans Bones

Produced entirely by Alchemist, this is probably my favourite album of the year so far. Roc is just such a vivid rapper, and really fits Alchemists productions throughout. 

It's very much in the style of the last few years, but he has crucially found his drum packs again (but not on all tracks)

Think this is my favourite off it, but the Action Bronson feature is nice as well.

Declaime - In The Beginning Vol 2

Madlib on the boards. Sounds like it could've come out on Fondle Em/Stones Throw in the late 90s (not a bad thing) and the production is obviously spot on.

Declaime is a fairly unremarkable rapper, but very listenable and has a great flow.

If you like Madlib (why wouldn't you?) or 90s independent rap, I'm fairly certain you'll enjoy this.

Madlib has another album out with LMD (which is LMNO, MED and Declaime) and whilst I haven't heard that yet, I can imagine it's very similar based on those names.

Domo Genesis - Intros, Outros and Interludes

Evidence is behind this one, and very much kills it. Again, its that style of loops and no drums on most tracks, but Domo fits is very well. 

There is a great collection of rappers out there who I wouldn't class as independent or underground (think billy woods, Pink Siifu, Elucid, Navy Blue) that are all doing great things and this lad can be added to those.

Rap is in a very healthy place at the moment in my opinion.

Speaking of Navy Blue,  he features on my favourite track off the album.

And finally, been absolutely rinsing this track recently. Everyone smashes their verse, and for me, the best Just Blaze beat of all time. 

Love this as well, when he was at a Sixers game. Everyone absolutely goes for it.

Anyone else got any new listening recommendations?

10 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

The new Black Thought & Danger Mouse album 'Cheat Codes' is decent. 

I liked the production, but I'll be honest, Black Thought mostly does very little for me.

Technically, he's obviously an incredible rapper, and I love The Roots, but I dunno, I always feel really unmoved by him, and that it's all very mechanical and robotic.

This is solely the last couple of years as I like I say, I love his group work.

That production though. Phwoar. More DM in rap please.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...