UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

I see there's quite a bit thats just come out, but I have zero interest in Kanye West and his music, and even less interest in Westside Gunn's so that's two big ones I won't be checking. Might listen to the Wayne verse I suppose. And I'll probably listen to that Flee Lord/Roc Marciano thing over the weekend.

Been listening to a lot of the Atmosphere back catalogue and forgot how much I love their old shit.

DJ Premier has this new little short video series breaking down some of his classics and it's really great. I could listen to him do that for much longer to be honest.

Bad week for hip hop (again?) as Busta rants about masks and "I come from a time----" (that never ends well) and Homeboy Sandman cancels loads of gigs as he didn't want to abide by the venue rules in terms of being vaccinated or provide negative tests to be able to get in. This article around it is really great.

https://www.complex.com/music/rap-complicated-relationship-covid

I also loved this on Public Enemy Fear Of A Black Planet: https://magazine.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/public-enemy-liner-notes/ @Keith Houchen think you'll like this, as I know we 'discussed' this album the other day.

This on J Swift is a really sad but interesting read: https://thelandmag.com/the-bizarre-and-tragic-ride-of-j-swft/

I think I'm getting to the point where I prefer reading about hip hop than listening to most of it, like football and wrestling. Maybe Edan needs to release a new album or something?

Anyone listened to or discovered anything worthwhile recently?

I listened to Bo Jackson from Boldy James & The Alchemist. I'm not a huge fan of Boldy James but I always have time for Alchemist productions as they're always great.

I've been really enjoying this track from Swindle too. Loyle Carner and Kojey Radical are two of my favourites from the UK so it's right up my street.

I also can't wait for the new Little Simz record next week

• Paid Members

Boldy James is like a less annoying version of Westside Gunn for me. They could be rapping the best lyrics you’ve ever heard but their voice/delivery is just an instant turnoff. WSG is irritating as fuck, whereas Boldy’s monotonous tone just makes me sleepy.

On 8/28/2021 at 9:39 AM, SuperBacon said:

and even less interest in Westside Gunn's

Against my better judgement I skimmed through it. The usual from him, which is a shame because there’s a track on there featuring Jadakiss and Stove God Cooks that I really liked…apart from WSG shitting it up. Would’ve been so much better without him but I guess it’s asking too much to leave him off his own project 😒

I’ve really dropped off on checking new stuff lately. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Been a while since there was a decent UK hip hop beef, so this is nice.

Bit of a shame that Ocean Wisdom felt he needed to do that, but then we never got to the bottom of what actually happened with Lowlife Records and Braintax so maybe this will be another mystery that goes on 20 years. 

Acutely aware that only saddos like me are interested in this type of thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

It's going to be terrible. I remember seeing Mos Def maybe 4-5 years ago in London and it was the single worst gig I've ever been to. Showed up late - seemed completely wasted - I left half way through, something I've never done before or since.

I would expect it will sell out... but if I were to buy a ticket I'd keep an eye on the reports from those US & Paris dates before making a decision whether to sell them on :) .

In terms of Hip-Hop, of course I'm listening to Little Simz' latest as everyone else should be. To me she remains the most exciting thing in the genre today... I don't have much else new to listen to.

He's not hip-hop, although he's done some streams with Premier, Flying Lotus & Harry Mack: https://www.youtube.com/marcrebillet I simply love him. The hip-hop related guest streams aren't actually the best, for me, but they're all spectacular and he's funky, funny & stupid. 

One of my personal faves:

37 minutes ago, Moo said:

It's going to be terrible. I remember seeing Mos Def maybe 4-5 years ago in London and it was the single worst gig I've ever been to. Showed up late - seemed completely wasted - I left half way through, something I've never done before or since.

I would expect it will sell out... but if I were to buy a ticket I'd keep an eye on the reports from those US & Paris dates before making a decision whether to sell them on :) .

In terms of Hip-Hop, of course I'm listening to Little Simz' latest as everyone else should be. To me she remains the most exciting thing in the genre today... I don't have much else new to listen to.

He's not hip-hop, although he's done some streams with Premier, Flying Lotus & Harry Mack: https://www.youtube.com/marcrebillet I simply love him. The hip-hop related guest streams aren't actually the best, for me, but they're all spectacular and he's funky, funny & stupid. 

One of my personal faves:

If you haven't seen them already, the live streams that Rebillet did with Premo and Brady Wyatt are fantastic entertainment. Just 3 dudes having fun.