UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

Never been the biggest fan of Pusha T solo stuff (Clipse albums are absolute classics) but given his new one, It's Almost Dry a few listens and I really like it. The first couple of tracks absolutely bump (Pharell has blessed him), and he sounds really lively, which is always a good thing.

I think Daytona is better, but I enjoyed this more. 

Also heard this yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Pan Amsterdam is a new name to me but I'll definitely be checking out more by him based on this.

Finally, this on billy woods is a great read.

https://whatsgood.bulletin.com/billy-woods-aethiopes-vince-staples-jamie-xx-doechii-syd

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spent the day at work re-listening to a bunch of "golden era" hip hop records and I've come to a couple of - possibly unpopular - conclusions:

1. RZA is overrated as a producer. I mean, he's fine, but he's also nothing special.
  2. Havoc is underrated as a producer. His drum sound is ace.
  3. J Dilla is still the GOAT. Especially his work on Slum Village Vol.2

• Paid Members

Definitely with you on Havoc. And I’d say he’s also a bit underrated as a rapper as well. He was always next to and naturally compared to Prodigy and I think he went a bit under appreciated because of that. He more than pulled his weight and his production was pretty consistently top notch for me. 

28 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Spent the day at work re-listening to a bunch of "golden era" hip hop records and I've come to a couple of - possibly unpopular - conclusions:

1. RZA is overrated as a producer. I mean, he's fine, but he's also nothing special.

Really disagree with the RZA point here. He absolutely is special, and pioneered a really unique sound that no one else was doing which earns him his place at the top table.

I think hes a fucking dreadful rapper though.

The Havoc and Dilla points are spot on though.

The drums on Fall In Love are my favourite of all time.

Looking for some recommendations. Tidal suggested 4,5,6 by Kool G Rap a few weeks back. Have listened to it plenty since, and really enjoyed. Tried a few of his albums before and after this one, but not really felt the need to relisten to them. Any suggestions as to what else to listen to from him, or others similar to this timeframe and style? They suggested Jeru The Damaja who Ive been enjoying, as well.

2 hours ago, Dai said:

Looking for some recommendations. Tidal suggested 4,5,6 by Kool G Rap a few weeks back. Have listened to it plenty since, and really enjoyed. Tried a few of his albums before and after this one, but not really felt the need to relisten to them. Any suggestions as to what else to listen to from him, or others similar to this timeframe and style? They suggested Jeru The Damaja who Ive been enjoying, as well.

Live And Let Die >>> 4,5,6 but thats my personal opinion...

14 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'm not saying you are wrong... But I totally disagree with your opinion! RZA was responsable for a whole new gritty sound which dominated especially the New York scene in the 90s... Often dupilcated and imitated... Included by his own Wu-Clones like RNS, True Master and 4th Disciple among others...

I agree he ain't the greatest MC though...