UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

11 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Is that the case? I had no idea it wasn't highly regarded... I think it's a stone cold classic. 

I think it was well liked but ended up falling under the radar a bit compared to their other stuff. I rarely hear people talk about it when talking about those guys best records.

• Moderators

Something I did find out relatively recently is that the original version of The Red is apparently hard to come by now as there was some sample clearance issue. So a bunch of the vinyl presses don't have it and also it's not on Spotify. Shame as that's my favourite beat on the album... 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

25 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I love this Tiny Desk Concert with Freddie Gibbs & Madlib. (Gibbs looking like a boss too)

When be gives him a kiss at the end... 😥

I love Freddie Gibbs so much these days. Alfredo is an incredible album, Alchemist needs a LOT of credit for it, and one that I think people will put in the 'greatest of all time' lists in a few years.

I've listened to it so much in the last few months, I think it's a masterpiece. 

@Chest Rockwell This is the original version here isn't it? https://jaylib.bandcamp.com/album/champion-sound-deluxe-edition Been a while since I listened to that album. 

Edited by SuperBacon
Lib

33 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

When be gives him a kiss at the end... 😥

I love Freddie Gibbs so much these days. Alfredo is an incredible album, Alchemist needs a LOT of credit for it, and one that I think people will put in the 'greatest of all time' lists in a few years.

I've listened to it so much in the last few months, I think it's a masterpiece. 

@Chest Rockwell This is the original version here isn't it? https://jaylib.bandcamp.com/album/champion-sound-deluxe-edition Been a while since I listened to that album. 

Yeah, thats the original version. Spotify has the new one. My copy of Champion Sound is from 2009 which I think is the most recent repress and has the new version as well as a different version of No Games for the same reason.

13 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Gibbs has always been great when he's over good beats. He has made a lot of shite though... 

This is true of most rappers though isnt it? His early 'albums' are an absolute mess, until he finally honed what he was doing.

By far, his most interesting work has been with Madlib and Alchemist, the latter is someone I'd like to see multiple albums from.

The soundscape of Alfredo is like a film. For a genre that owes so much to the 70s, and can sound formulaic when paying homage to that era/sounds, Alchemist has managed to create songs that at the same time borrow from them, but sound completely original. 

If you haven't heard it, I'd recommend it highly.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I STILL think Alchemist could make a great album with Eminem.

I find it mind boggling that he is his fucking tour DJ, hes around him all the time, probably speaks to him nearly every day, and he hasn't asked him to produce an album for him.

Edited by SuperBacon
Spelling

9 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Alchemist has a new record out this week. I have it a quick listen and it’s very different to his normal stuff. 

I've really loved these 'beat tapes' hes constantly putting out. They've all been really varied, and like you say, different to his normal stuff.

No point sitting on a million beats. 

5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I've really loved these 'beat tapes' hes constantly putting out. They've all been really varied, and like you say, different to his normal stuff.

No point sitting on a million beats. 

Not many people are willing to release a conceptual album based on the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic games.

23 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Not many people are willing to release a conceptual album based on the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic games.

I like how his last three releases have been experimental space hip hop jazz, food themed beats featuring Gordon Ramsay and now an Olympics concept album. 

A man dancing to his own drum (sample)

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

This is true of most rappers though isnt it? His early 'albums' are an absolute mess, until he finally honed what he was doing.

I phrased that poorly. He has been consistently good when rapping on good beats through everything he's recorded, but makes a lot of bad beat selection. It has nothing to do with the stage of his career.

For example.. Str8 killa - mostly great, 6 years before piñata. Shadow of a doubt and you only live 2wice - mostly garbage and both came after piñata. (Using piñata as a reference point as something universally praised).

16 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I phrased that poorly. He has been consistently good when rapping on good beats through everything he's recorded, but makes a lot of bad beat selection. It has nothing to do with the stage of his career.

For example.. Str8 killa - mostly great, 6 years before piñata. Shadow of a doubt and you only live 2wice - mostly garbage and both came after piñata. (Using piñata as a reference point as something universally praised).

No, it's fine I sort of knew what you meant and am not disagreeing with you. It's just I think he's finally settled into a style and a sound that fits him, from what I have heard from his early stuff and now. But I'll be honest, I'm not a massive fan of 'mix tape' style releases.

However I haven't heard Str8 Killa No Filla, so will give it a listen based on the rec. I think the first one I heard was Baby Face Killa which I thought was absolutely shit and didn't bother with him until probably Pinata. Don't think I've heard the other two you mentioned either.

Let's not ignore the fact that the best thing about him is that he is from that renowned gangsta hotspot....Gary, Indiana.