UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
  • 2 weeks later...

Pharoahe Monch has a new album out as part of a group called th1rt3en (not writing that again) along with Jack White's drummer Daru Jones and guitarist Marcus Machado (not a name I'm familiar with).  It's a bit of a mixed bag on the first run through.

Cult 45 is a typically dusty, claustrophobic opener, and 666 (Three Six Word Stories) has this really cool satanic feel to it, with it’s backwards played lyrics, and almost New Orleans vibe. 

Goats Head starts off with what could be a 70s soul song with Monch singing “Please excuse me baby, but I know I’ve been gone a long time” in his best Al Green, then switching by opening his verse with “Rumour has it that he used the f word a lot, fuck you, shut the fuck up” Rude.

Scarecrow has this pulsating rhythm that makes it feel like the track has a paranoid urgency, but Fight feat Cypress Hill sounds like a cast off from their Rock Superstar era sound. Decent solo at the end though.

Racist is more like it. It sounds industrial as fuck in the intro and Pharoahes vocals switch from clipped to breathy and angry and vicious.

There's a bit where the beat drops out and back in and he raps "The melodies Palestinian, and the snare is a spic, the rhythm is Dominican, I use a kike as a kick, couple of crackers in the track the same place I took a shit, spit on a white mic separated in the mix, and Indian, the concept was there before I made it, perceived it, stole it, claimed it, raped it” which is reminiscent of the scene in Do The Right Thing where all the characters rant about racist tropes and stereotypes into the camera.

Kill Em All Again is some Led Zeppelin type bullshit, but then the album does a 180 and gives us Amnesia, a really pretty abstract love song, which could be a sequel to The Light off Internal Affairs. 

It’s a real ‘stop and smell the flowers’ track amongst the chaos of the rest of the album. The Santana-esque solo adds to the warmth of it and it's probably the stand out of the album.

“So if sleep is the cousin of death then, naturally naps are the nephews of narcolepsy, which will inevitably destroy your agility when being sedentary becomes the son of senility” Also the first use I reckon of the word fibromyalgia in a rap song.

Then it ends with Kill Kill Kill which I can only describe as Monch x Dr Who x D'Angelo x The Police x Pink Floyd x Earth, Wind & Fire but obviously a lot, lot better than that sounds. 

He still has an incredible way of always and never ending his verse on the beat, not rhyming where he *should*, stretching his words and phrases all over the track. He might be the most ‘abstract’ rapper of all time, and is so dense that when you listen to him, you have to give it full attention and even then rewinding it back and trying to catch it all. He is always interesting and it's great to see him still innovating and trying new things...

...But I dunno, for me the album doesn't go far enough, and I thought it was all a bit safe on the whole, and a bit like the Rock N Roll song off Mos Def's Black On Both Sides.I'd prefer it to be a bit harder but that's just personal preference. 

Pharoahe is still wicked though and I'll probably revisit the tracks I really enjoyed a lot. 

Also revisited Xzibit's At The Speed Of Life album and it's still excellent. I love this track so much, mainly as it features Tash, who has one of the best rap voices ever. 

• Paid Members

I listened to the 13 & Monch album earlier & really liked it for the most part. It felt like an actual album recorded together, rather than a collection of tracks. I'll definitely be going back to it. 

The Verb T & Illinformed album that came out just before Christmas is really good. 

Stove God Cooks album is worth checking out. The album is a lot more experimental than this track suggests but it slaps in places 

The new Madlib album Sound Ancestors is utterly incredible. With help from Four Tet, he has put out another gorgeous, warm, emotional album of tracks that travel between hip hop, soul, jazz, post punk and more. I don't know how he does it to be honest.

In the last few months I've reconsidered where he sits in my producers list, and I think he's finally reached the top spot to be honest.

This is probably my favourite off it at the moment, but I'm sure that will change. Such a rich album. Looking forward to hearing it in the summer with a beer and a spliff.

Couple of interesting articles/interviews on it here too: https://www.npr.org/2021/01/28/961520721/madlib-heads-back-to-the-future-on-sound-ancestors?t=1611927947958

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/27/arts/music/madlib-four-tet-sound-ancestors.html

I also revisited Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt this week, and I have to say, I've done a massive 180 on it, and can see why it sits in the 'classic album' region, something I never really got before. I just thought it was a decent album, but it is incredible. 

I reckon it doesn't get the same clout as your Illamatics, your Enters (Hip Hop Redknapp TM) as he very, very quickly got labelled as a 'jiggy' rapper in the late 90's bling vs indie era, and he rapidly found success, rightly, off the back of In My Lifetime and Vol 2. Whereas the other artists that have delivered the 'classics' have always got love from all hip hop fans, despite Wu Tang and Nas putting out absolute dross throughout most of their careers.

Anyway, not a particularly 'hot take' but Jay-Z is an elite rapper who sits way up there in the greatest debate.

It also reminded me that my Mum bought 11yo me Ain't No N*gga (as Ain't No Playa) and it, along with Cowboys (off the Killing Me Softly CD single) and LL Cool J I Shot Ya Remix (off the Hey Lover CD single) made up my collection of incredibly inappropriate songs for me to own at that age, but I LOVED them. Absolutely thrilling to hear swearing in songs at that age.

I Shot Ya especially as 1.) it's a wicked tune, 2.) Fat Joe smashes his verse and 3.) Keith Murray starts his verse with "I'm here to make a dollar out of fifteen cents, and let my balls hang like I'm on the toilet taking a shit". But it's funny as I can't fathom letting my eldest listen to something like that, at the same age. I mean, Foxy Brown starts banging on about "raw ass cheeks" and going "raw dog without protection, disease infested". Mental. 

TL;DR Listen to the Madlib album.

35 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Ooh, that sounds amazing. Fucking love Four Tet, so this should be a treat. 

You heard the stuff he released at Christmas? Loved it. https://fourtet.bandcamp.com/album/parallel

Just seen that there is some hip hop themed bits on BBC Four tonight, including a programme called Hip Hop: The Songs That Shook America and tonight features Jesus Walks by Kanye West and Alright by Kendrick Lamar.

Then next week has Rock Box by Run DMC and Elevators by Outkast, followed by The Bridge by Marley Marl and Ladies First by Queen Latifah

Produced by Questlove and Blackthought, I'm hoping this goes beyond the usual tired stories of "Well, Jam Master Jay used to play this break and one day he let the record run and we heard ROCK MUSIC" so am looking forward to this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000rpms

Then after those two, is Hip Hop At The BBC, which has been a million times, but is worth watching for the bizarre sight of Rakim and LL Cool J (with lots of screaming girls)  on Top Of The Pops, and great performances by Dizzee and The Roots

• Moderators

Been looking forward to that album for a while now so glad it's here... 

The best new* thing I've listened to recently is Illa Ghee - Jesus and Better Drugs.  Cool album. He has a great voice and a nice flow and the beats are decent too. If you like his guest spots on Sean P tracks then you'll probably like this.

* new to me but not super recent.

• Paid Members

Yeah I like Illa Ghee a lot. First heard him on ‘Soul Perfect’ with Sean P and got into some of his stuff on and off from there. 

This is one of my favourite Illa tracks. ‘Dope Pushers’ with Rim from Da Villins; 

Love this as well. ‘Pop from the Barbershop’ which is a spin on Biggie’s ‘Warning’;

22 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Listened to that Madlib track. Definitely whet the appetite. Will check out the rest. Thanks for that @SuperBacon

No worries mate, that's what this thread is for! If you haven't checked much Madlib stuff out yet, then let me know and I'll try and put a playlist together if you like, although @Chest Rockwellmight be better placed as I know he too loves the dude.

23 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Just seen that there is some hip hop themed bits on BBC Four tonight, including a programme called Hip Hop: The Songs That Shook America and tonight features Jesus Walks by Kanye West and Alright by Kendrick Lamar.

Then next week has Rock Box by Run DMC and Elevators by Outkast, followed by The Bridge by Marley Marl and Ladies First by Queen Latifah

Produced by Questlove and Blackthought, I'm hoping this goes beyond the usual tired stories of "Well, Jam Master Jay used to play this break and one day he let the record run and we heard ROCK MUSIC" so am looking forward to this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000rpms

Just watched these, and a big big recommendation. I'm not a Kanye West fan at all to be honest, but the episode on him and Jesus Walks is superb.

He has such a magnetism about him, that anything on him is just fascinating, and the Kendrick episode is strong as well.

Edit: All the episodes are on the iPlayer. That's today sorted!

Also for anyone that hasn't seen it, Of Mics And Men, about Wu Tang, comes to Amazon Prime on the 1st of February. Again, a big recommend for anyone remotely interested in hip hop. Boo doodoodoo doo doo.

Edited by SuperBacon