UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

The Conway album is decent. Anza is probably my favourite track, the verses on Lemon are great but I still don't like the chorus/hook of 'Lemon squeeeeze'. I was also happy to see Freddie Gibbs on there, I really rate his latest album. Completely agree that Westside Gunn is the weakest of the 3 but I think they know that, especially seeing as they didn't let him rap when Griselda did 'Fire In The Booth'.

I've been listening to Black Josh's new one 'Mannyfornia' a lot, the production on it by Metrodome is right up my street.

If you're a fan of The Mouse Outfit the new Voodoo Black album is worth checking out too, it's the peeps who did most of the work n the first 2 albums & features this beauty

That Voodoo Black track is a bit 'Jazz Cafe', but I really like it, and I'll check out the album, cheers.

Love Black Josh.  Mannyfornia is wicked.

Edit: Small plug, if you like that style of production, check out Ill Move Sporadic (older brother of one of my old school chums). Very similar, their latest album is here: https://starchmusic.bandcamp.com/album/drug-corpse-ii-body-disposal

Edited by SuperBacon
plug like the bash street kids yo

Sorry for the double post, but I've just come across this and holy fucking shit: https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2020/hip-hop

@Chest Rockwell you can own Prince Paul's drum machine! https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2020/hip-hop/prince-pauls-alesis-hr-16-drum-machine-used-on-de

But for me, if I had cash to burn, it would be on one of these 3 things. 

download.jpg

download-6.jpg

Screenshot-2020-09-12-at-14-18-49-Edited

• 3 weeks later...

The Alchemist has released a sub 20 minute beat tape, A Doctor, A Painter & An Alchemist Walk Into A Bar, which is fucking excellent. I've just absolutely zoned out to it in the dark. Spacey, weird hip hop. Love it.

Only downside is the single vocal appearance is from Westside Gunn.

Speaking of him, I see he has a new album out, which I can't be arsed to check out fully.

I have listened to the Slick Rick tracks which are great, especially the one with Busta as I always love a feature verse off him. The Blackthought one is good too.

I just don't get Westside. Think he's shit.

• Paid Members

Haven’t listened to that for similar reasons. I can tolerate WSG on certain tracks or in small doses but in general he just grates on me. Especially the awful hooks where he ‘sings’. I know you think the Griselda lot are overdoing it at the minute and I can see that. They’ve been relentless this year especially. But I’m always happy to see Conway or Benny have released new stuff. Westside not so much.

Anyway, here’s Public Enemy’s ‘Fight The Power’ 2020 remix with added Nas, Rapsody, Black Thought...

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I know you think the Griselda lot are overdoing it at the minute and I can see that. They’ve been relentless this year especially

I don't know if I think they're overdoing it, I completely get why they're being so prolific, but it runs the risk of just becoming one massive album. I can't tell one apart from the other, and I dunno if that's a good thing.

But this seems a bit moany and 'God, there's TOO MUCH music' which is a bit shit of me, and I'd have loved it if my favourite rapper was releasing so much music in one year when I was a hip hop obsessed teenager. Still waiting for that Rakim and Dre album though.

That PE 'update' is alright. I still get a thrill from hearing Chuck D rap, but Nas' vocals seem to have been recorded in a wind tunnel. 

R.I.P. Westside Gunn... Brutally Murdered On His Own Track By Black Thought!

Gunn is the new Lil' Wayne for me... Nice to hear a guest verse from time to time... But no way I could listen to him a whole album! Not saying he's a bad rapper... But his voice just irritates my ears...

I rather hear Conway!

Chuck D's voice is one of the best in Hip-Hop... He just commands attention!

• Paid Members

That new Public Enemy album is decent. Public Enemy Number Won featuring the Beastie Boys and Run DMC is a good track, but it's kind of a shame Ad-Rock and Mike D don't do much. If MCA was still with us they'd probably have done a lot more. 

https://youtu.be/EjvSC-p3Iwg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Action Bronson does sound exactly like Ghostface which I always find confusing. 

I think that was a fair criticism of him when he first turned up but I think he's developed his own style more since then. And at the time when he first turned up Ghostface was putting out rubbish like wizard of poetry, so I didn't mind at all anyway.

Edited by Chest Rockwell