UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

There are lots and lots of different types of hip hop, same as there different types of rock, dance etc.

That's always been true, and grime is a genre of its own I suppose (some might say the only truly British music genre ever, but I think Jungle would have something to say about that) 

My point was that I actually don't think many people differentiate grime and 'UK hip hop' these days, as there is such a crossover of artists, sound etc and to be dismissive of a whole genre is a bit narrow minded. I don't like jazz, but I'm sure there is some decent jazz out there which I'd probably enjoy and I wouldn't say it's all shit as it's probably not.

One of the worst things 'UK hip hop' ever did was pigeonhole itself as such between the years of about 1999-2002ish. @Chest Rockwell might be able to attest to this, but most of the hip hop that came out at the time was very lyrically heavy, dense and referential and acts such as Mark B & Blade* or Blak Twang (not as much) were kind of laughed at as they were trying to do something different and break through, but they weren't "keeping it real". 

People (me included) used to give Westwood shit for not playing Task Force, Lewis Parker etc as he has 6 hours on national radio, but why should he have done? A lot of the rap, and the scene was insular, fractured and the hip hop wasn't what the world was crying out for. Plus you had 279 on Choice, and the Chubby Kids on Kiss FM twice a week as well. 

It was in many ways the 'golden age' for hip hop from here, (might be my age) but referring to it as 'UK hip hop' killed the scene as well, and made sure it never broke through.

Trust me, I was THE biggest mark at this time. If it wasn't on Rawkus, Stones Throw, one of the UK indies and was a bit 'jiggy' then it was dismissed, which is fucking stupid obviously. It still happens to this day; I reckon one of the reasons I struggle with Kendrick Lamar is because I didn't like 'southern hip hop' when I was younger. Even though Kendrick is from LA, to me his flow is more influenced by No Limit/Cash Money/the south (hated both) and I hear that within his voice. It's taken me a long time to warm to him.

As I got older I realised a lot of those No Limit/Cash Money records are tonnes of fun, and the production is incredible and it made me appreciate a whole other facet of rap and discover a shit load of new people. 

I dunno, I had a point somewhere and I suppose it's that I find labels or pigeonholes within a music genre silly. It's all rap innit? But it's only my opinion.

The only thing that still annoys me is when people talk about 'Road rap' (ugh fuck off) and don't talk about Universal Soldiers and particularly Ricochet who were incredible and doing that shit 20 years ago. There is still a little backpacker inside me.

*I think The Unknown was a watershed moment for hip hop in this country. I remember seeing them in a packed out tent at Reading Festival and being blown away by how far they'd come. Especially Blade, who was a very lyrical rapper. Great album and Mark B (RIP) is one of the best producers we ever had. 

Edited by SuperBacon

Big fan of Alchemist banging out these beat tape style albums and The Food Villain is another little cracker, and maybe the first time anyone has sampled Gordon Ramsay for a hip hop track? 

Speaking of Alchemist, love seeing this on the making of Hold You Down with Prodigy. I love the 1st Infantry album a lot, and to me is when Alchemist went from 'indie producer' to something much more. He's in my top 3 of all time no question.

• Paid Members

Ty Farris latest album ‘Wired Different’ comes out at midnight. Bit random for a Tuesday but I’m down for it. He’s released a couple of songs already off it. Here’s one of them...

’Streets Made Me An Offer’;

Also, The Opioid Era put out a track called ‘Passing Out Testers 2’ which is pretty good;

They’ve got an 7 track EP called ‘Dope Sick’ coming on the 20th.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Musalini & Planet Asia ‘Jack Frost’;

Not sure about Musalini but I love Planet Asia on this, and the use of the old Scarface sample.

These two have got an EP coming out called ‘Pharaoh Chain’. It was supposed to be out today but I read something about it being delayed until December now for some reason. 

A38B7BF4-60B5-4B91-98AB-413063F378A2.jpeg

726DD0FD-DBDC-47AF-8E47-9944F45D2DF5.jpeg

DJ Kay Slay - Rolling 50 Deep ft. Sheek Louch, Styles P, Benny The Butcher, Bub B, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon, AZ, Papoose, Ransom, Memphis Bleek, Billy Danze, Lil Fame, Dave East, 3D Na'tee, Joell Ortiz, Saigon, Mistah F.A.B, Chris Rivers, Jon Conners, Twista, E-40, Nino Man, Shoota, Mysonne, Sauce Money, Ice-T, Trick Trick, RJ Payne, E-A-SKi, Fred The Godson (RIP), Loaded Lux, Termanology, Young Noble, E.D.I. Mean, Lock Smith, Cassidy, Maino, Vade, Rockness Monsta, DJ Paul, MCGruff, Stan Spit, Uncle Murda, Cory Gunz, Melle Mel, Grandmaster Caz, Trae The Truth, Bynoe, Hocus 45h & Royce Da 5'9"

The last couple of days I've spent listening to some mixtapes, compilations and albums that came out around the late 90s and early 2000s that I haven't heard for ages, only because there isn't really anything new that has caught my ear and I've been writing and needed some stuff that wouldn't distract me too much.

The Black Label: Hip Hop 101 compilation from Tommy Boy Black Label is really decent, and I forgot that it features one of my all time favourite De La affiliated songs in Maseo-Words & Verbs. Had this on white label back in the day and remember being absolutely obsessed with it. 

The album also features this song and I am putting it forward as the ultimate representation of that period of hip hop. Proper "mockery/hypocrisy/verbally/property" rapping. It couldn't have come at any other time in rap, it's so turn of the century. Brilliant. Da Matrix-Beat Biter

ABB: Always Bigger and Better Vol 1 is a big old bang of late 90's West Coast indie rap and is a very easy listen, if you like Dilated, Alkaholiks etc

Features this lovely track as well: Joey Chavez feat Defari & Phil Da Agony-Worldwide

Also, had a listen to the new Billy Danze album and whilst he's always been the poorer half of MOP, it is actually really good and Lil Fame does pop up to bless it. 

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Nice work. Where are the guitars from - are they recorded, sampled or vsts? Curious as it's quite different from the music of yours that I heard like ten years ago or whenever...

Thank you sir, the guitar is my band's guitarist.

Nice! Skatta and Jay1 are a couple more from Cov as well that are decent. Skatta-Homage is an absolute banger. I'll check that album out.

Good to see places outside London getting recognition. When I was massively into UK hip hop, there was such healthy scenes everywhere else and groups like Moorish Delta, Out Da Ville, MSI & Asylum, Parlour Talk were majorly overlooked. Even people like Cappo and Scorzayzee, who broke through more than others were, and it was always a massive shame and further fractured things.

So good to see things aren't the same these days.

Not sure if you've seen this @Merzbowthat I posted a page or so back. Absolutely wicked shit out of Birmingham.

• Paid Members

Statik Selektah’s ‘The Balancing Act’ came out today. Haven’t listened to anything from it yet but the list of features is ridiculous. Black Thought, Nas, Conway The Machine, Killer Mike, Benny The Butcher, Method Man, Sean Price, Jadakiss, Styles P, Lil Fame, Havoc and Bun B, among others, all make appearances. I’m looking forward to getting stuck into that when I can give it a proper listen. 

0ED408B4-AA5F-42D2-B06A-6C5C689CAE0B.jpeg