UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

The animation is really cool, and it's nice how they blend the sample up to the beat.. But the thing that's brilliant or genius about that beat is not the little guitar loop, it's layering it with that particular vocal sample that makes the sum greater than the parts.

38 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The animation is really cool, and it's nice how they blend the sample up to the beat.. But the thing that's brilliant or genius about that beat is not the little guitar loop, it's layering it with that particular vocal sample that makes the sum greater than the parts.

Is the vocal a sample? I always thought it wasn't, and was done by Blue Raspberry, as their in house singer.

Old one but listening to quite a bit of Kyza and Terra Firma and wanted to pop this up, as I think it's great.

Klashnekoff gets all the plaudits (and maybe rightly so, he made great records), but I always preferred Kyza as a rapper, not least because he basically forced me to buy a Terra Firma tape outside of Deal Real Records once, and it was very good. He was lovely to be fair.

One of my favourite Dilla beats as well.

Kyza Smirnoff-Cold Steel

Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

Been listening to Styles Pā€™s new album ā€˜Ghost Your Enthusiasmā€™. Iā€™m liking it.

Always thought Styles P doesnā€™t really get enough love. Heā€™sĀ been putting out quality stuff for 20-odd years now. I think I actually prefer him over Jadakiss out of the three LOX members. Jadaā€™s got that distinctive voice and heā€™s had some tracks I absolutely love butĀ I find PĀ more consistent.Ā 

• Paid Members

Conway The Machineā€™sĀ ā€˜From King To A Godā€™ album is coming soon. Seriously, Conway never stops. Weā€™reĀ only halfway through theĀ year and heā€™s already blasted out 3 or 4 projects and done a load of features.

My reason for this post though, is heā€™s put out this verse on social media from a track from the upcoming album. And itā€™s pretty fucking powerful given the current situation in America following the death of George Floyd.

Ā 

So RTJ4 is as good as I thought it would be. A few runs through so far, and I reckon it could be their best effort yet (1 has always been my favourite)

I've always loved El-P, as a rapper (a lot of early MC Baconbits efforts were a straight rip off to be honest)Ā and obviously Mike is great, but one thing that I think get's overlooked is just what a good producer El-P is, and always has been.

A unique sound, sonically it always sounds wicked, the bass is always heavy, layers that work, I think he's incredible, I really do.Ā 

On that note, a pal who only really knows RTJ asked about some of his production, so I made a small Twitter thread on them (no shilling, just thought it would be easier than banging up a load of YouTube links). Sure some people will know all these, but thought it might be a good introduction to people who only know him from Run The Jewels.

Ā 

Been loving the new Backxwash album this past week, real raw and angry with a strong political edge and verges on horrorcore without being in any way typical of the genre. It helps that both members of Black Dresses are featured, I might not have found it otherwise.

Clipping also approves.
Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Merzbow

28 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Good week for hip hop! The new alchemist / Freddie Gibbs album is fucking great. Man it really makes such a world of difference with Gibbs when he has a good producer.

Indeed! And apparently, the finishing touches to the Madlib produced Black Star album are being applied. Believe it when I see it though.

• Paid Members

That Gibbs/AlchemistĀ album is great. Only listened to it once through but Gibbs was switching shit up like mad on the oneĀ track. Think it was the oneĀ with Benny.

Yep. This is the one. ā€˜Frank Lucasā€™. Changes his flow up a few times on his verse;

Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09