Sign in to follow this  
Chest Rockwell

UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Cheers for that. Totally forgot there was a new Four Owls album. Just bought it on bandcamp.

Bacons Forgotten Rashers Part 9

Boulevard Connection featuring Iriscience, Maylay Sparks & The Last Emperor-Copenhagen (Claimin Respect)

Been on a bit of a Dilated binge the last week and I have always put Evidence above Iriscience by a long way, but I forgot just what a good rapper Rakaa is, and this track was an absolute indie stalwart back in the day. 

A really summery beat, and all three emcees come with it, and Babu's cuts are really fucking clean. There is a Part 2 which has Edo G, Masta Ace and Common (with cuts from nicest DJ in the world DJ Noize) on it as well, which is obviously worth checking out as all three of them are fucking amazing.

Also been listening to a lot of old mixtapes, and reheard (is that a word) a Busta Rhymes tune which I forgot about. So whilst it's one of his lesser known hits, it's not really a forgotten gem, but fucking hell it is great so I wanted to post in case people didn't know about it. It's so 1996, it's ridiculous.

From HotUKDeals... 2000 Up In Smoke tour available free to stream and download. 

https://arteconcert-a.akamaihd.net/am/concert/087000/087900/087915-000-A_SQ_0_VO-STA_04238545_MP4-2200_AMM-CONCERT-NEXT_18EQxRpF1H.mp4

Not much of a  Hop Hop fan but I remember having this on VHS years back. Fond memories. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

Sadly Ty has passed away, aged 47. 

One of the first UK rappers I ever heard, great back catalogue with an effortless flow, and really good live as well. If you're not familiar, this is a good jump off point. Incredibly sad.

Fucking hell! That's awful. Upwards is a classic.. haven't listened to it in ages, but will be giving it a spin now. And yeah - excellent live show, and one of the few hip hop artists for me that managed to incorporate live instrumentation into their live show but still made it a hip hop show.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Couple of things that I've been enjoying over the last week or so.

JPEGMAFIA and Denzel Curry-Bald! Remix

Lojii-Uhoh

Navy Blue-Ode2MyLove (This whole album is excellent)

Bacons Forgotten Rashers Part 10

Sole-Bottle Of Humans

I was a proper backpacker. I mean, a proper one. My backpack consisted of a walkman, loads of home made mixtapes, an A5 exercise book stolen from English full of my "dope rhymes" and probably an Irvine Welsh book. It was glued to me. I never went anywhere without it. Add my Etnies, Zoo York hoodie, beanie and baggy jeans and I was the ultimate 1999 cliche.

I loved all types of hip hop, but once I discovered Fatlace Magazine, Mr Bongos, Rawkus Records etc, it was all about the underground, and I burned my copy of It's Dark and Hell Is Hot. 

If it was on Fondle Em, Def Jux, Anticon I'd have bought it no questions asked.

There were some artists from these labels that have aged well (Company Flow probably being the best example), but looking back, a lot of it was absolute shit. And so turn of the millenium. Most of it sounds like it couldn't exist from any other period. Off kilter beats and rappers with no flow that sounded like they'd swallowed a dictionary.

I've been revisiting quite a bit of it, and yeah most of it doesn't quite float my boat anymore, but Sole is still a great example of that time period (in a lot of ways he exhibits the worst traits that genre had) and his debut album, whilst being too long, is still a great little listen, and this is the standout track (wonderful sample as well).

I remember absolutely bumming his El-P diss track as well (Dear Elpee) and to be fair, that still stands up as well. But El-P absolutely won that war didn't he? 

"My words are my world, believe it or not, they mean a lot to some"

Bacons (Semi) Forgotten Rashers Part 11

Freddie Foxxx-Stock In The Game

Lots of rappers like to think they're hard, and shout about it on their records (it isn't terribly important if they are; unless it's in a ring, fighting is wank), but I can't think of many rappers who you hear and see and think "Actually, they could fuck anyone up".

Freddie Foxxx is an exception. He looks hench. He sounds it. I reckon he could be the hardest rapper of all time. (If not, I'd like to see suggestions) His verse on Gang Starr-The Militia is at the same time hilarious and menacing "Gloria Gaynor on you motherfuckers, I will survive"

This album, Industry Shakedown is absolute fire, and massively slept on. It got a bit of shine when it was released, but not as much as it should've done to be honest.

A great example of a great rapper who raps about nothing but guns, beating you up, how wack everyone else is, and beating you up. It's brilliant, obviously.

The production credits are mental (Diamond D, Foxxx himself, Pete Rock, Premier) but Alchemist nicks the gold medal with this one, featuring a lovely sped up soul sample.

Wonderful stuff that I've been enjoying today in the sun (shade) in the park, thinking about fucking up people at 35, in Weybridge, Surrey. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to know. 

I think Lil' Fame's verse on this track is a real contender for the best rap verse ever. Any 'heads should listen to it. His verse is at 2:20 - 

He's incredibly underrated as a rapper (and as a producer).

I love MOP but if I'm being really honest, Billy Danz is a bit shit  (his energy and his delivery pull him through) but Fame is genuinely excellent, and gets unfairly maligned as a "brrraaaaappppadooooo" "bukka bukka bukka" rapper (which he also does better than anyone else) when he's much greater than that.

He'd be in my personal top 10, easily.

Both of MOP sit in the "Legitimately hard rapper" category as well.

This is my fave Lil Fame verse (and possibly my favourite MOP song). It makes me feel like I can punch through a fucking (false) wall. It's just a simple verse executed perfectly. Danz is great on this track as well to be fair.

Princess Nokia is back with a great new double album, kind of. One is more laid back, one is a bit harder. 1992 was one of my favourite hip hop records from the last few years so i'm very excited to have her back. There's some serious Noname and Chance vibes in this which is definitely not a bad thing.

Not a Forgotten Rasher, but I went for a big fat walk early (fucking early) down the river this morning and listened to Roots Manuva-Brand New Second Hand for the first time in a while, and was reminded me of what an incredible album it is.

He is rightly most well known for Witness and Dreamy Days (as those are two great songs), but this album is his masterpiece for me, and he's never bettered it.

I remember buying this from Banquet Records in Kingston (then Beggars Banquet) on the recommendation of the hand written notes they had on each album (they still do-it's a great shop), and I think I'd heard Where My Mind Is At, but this album was like nothing I'd ever heard before. It was genuinely mind blowing to hear.

I'd been so used to hearing rapping in an American accent, and even with the British rappers I'd heard, they weren't like this. This album is incredibly British. It's not even a Hip Hop album either, it's just a massive mix of reggae, dancehall, bashment, funk, soul and rap. Some of the bass lines are filthy.

The other thing that grabbed me as a spotty little 14 year old is the language and slang that he uses. So much of listening to and understanding hip hop requires you to know their slang, places, foods, vehicles, cultural references (I still don't really know what a hooptie is). 

So when you hear a rapper say things like "I'll slap the bacon out your mouth, dance upon your sarnie", "High steps got me tripping from Peckham to Box Hill" and talking about paying for things with coppers at corner shops it resonates a bit more.

Possibly the reason I was so into UK hip hop then was that it was easier to relate to, being a massive gangster from Kingston/Feltham/Hounslow/wherever the fuck I was living that year. But even then, some of Roots lyrics are very hard to decipher, and he is a true original (still trying to work out what "cruffatin" is), but this adds to the atmosphere. And this album is atmospheric.

It's really thick and dense, and paranoid (one of the worst weed experiences in my entire life was when I threw a bad whitey and had to walk from Twickenham to Hounslow at about 4am on my own, listening to this and convinced the walkman was melting my eardrums but I couldn't turn it off. I then convinced myself that I was having a heart attack for 3 or 4 hours) and whenever I've read interviews with him, he seems like someone who struggles a lot, and you can hear it here and throughout his discography.

Anyway, he's a great rapper, but where he shines is his storytelling, and Inna is my favourite track off the album (Juggle Tings Proper, Baptism, Oh Yeah, Motion 5000 all deserve a mention). Incredibly evocative and I sort of knew the place he was talking about before I'd even been to these places; and then when I eventually started going to these types of places, it was exactly like he described (the place it reminds me of most is The Jax in London Bridge RIP)

Enough rambling to myself. Listen to the album. 

On 5/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Absolutely love stuff like this. Utter genius.