UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

Bacons Forgotten Rashers Part 7

J-Zone-No Consequences

I do love a concept song*, especially within hip hop, and this is basically The Purge years before The Purge. 

J-Zone was an excellent rapper, and an excellent producer. He was funny, didn't take anything serious, was real about what he was (a broke skinny dude), and used dusty drums and samples that no one else was looking for.

His first album Music For Tu Madre he made as his college project, and is great, and this EP A Bottle Of Whup Ass was possibly my most played tape in the couple of months I was at college, and every track is a winner, especially whenever Al Shid was featured. Both are classic independent albums. The follow up Pimps Don't Pay Taxes was good too, as was a lot of his later output but those two for me were his pinnacle.

He then gave it all up, and reinvented himself as a drummer in the funk band The Du-Rites who are excellent, if you like that sort of thing.

*He also has one called Inaugaration Day where he has a conversation between the president about to address the nation, and a devil on his shoulder type character which is nice too.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Moderators

Sick of Being z rich was my introduction to j-zone and still my favourite album of his. That album in turn was my introduction to Celph Tutled, whom I also really liked and still have a soft spot for; at its best he is hilarious.

Have you read j-zone's book? It's a quick fun read; worth the time.

49 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Sick of Being z rich was my introduction to j-zone and still my favourite album of his. That album in turn was my introduction to Celph Tutled, whom I also really liked and still have a soft spot for; at its best he is hilarious.

Have you read j-zone's book? It's a quick fun read; worth the time.

Yeah that's a good album and I too love a bit of Celph Titled. Underrated producer too. I'm partial to all that lot, L Fudge, Apathy, all very good rappers without ever being exceptional.

My favourite Celph Titled line is "Wanna know what a real pussy feels like, why don't you stand in the corner and hug yourself real tight, motherfucker!" Just cracks me up.

And nah, I've been meaning to get the book for a while now but never got round to it. 

I know I say I regret selling my vinyl a lot, but I had all the early J Zone stuff on vinyl which all the little herbs pay big dollar for now :(

Bacons Forgotten Rashers Part 8

Skitz featuring Rodney P, Skinnyman, Wildflower and Riddla-Twilight Of The Gods

I'm having to think very, VERY hard on this one, but this must be the first "UK" hip hop record I would've bought. I was aware of Rodney P, as he was hanging around Deal Real Records when I bought this as a baggy jeaned 15 year old, but didn't know about his standing within the scene as part of London Posse etc. 

Skinnyman as well I think I'd only seen at open mics at Deal Real etc but had never heard on record, so this I guess, as most of the purchases at the time would've been a bit of a blind purchase. I really loved hearing people rapping in really English accents, using slang that I was hearing, even if it was in Hounslow and not Brixton.

Think the next thing I bought was Roots Manuva-Brand New Second Hand (still for me Clive, his finest) and that REALLY blew my mind. I'd never heard anything like it before. 

Skitz was a great producer, and the Countryman album is very strong and features some stellar performances, but everyone smashes it on this track, and I'm a big fan of songs that switch up the beats throughout (Gang Starr-I'm The Man and Speak Ya Clout, Kendrick-Duckworth etc). Skinnyman gets the best beat I reckon and those cuts from Prime Cuts are fire.

Choice lyric: "Slap you up in ya bonce, whether nonce or ponce"-Riddla. Lovely stuff.

• Moderators

From all the finding new albums and artists from last year that I have been doing, I think this is my favourite find - it's certainly the one I've revisited the most and has real depth and is really different to all the other stuff I've been listening to.

The album is Billy Woods & Kenny Segal - Hiding Places; the whole album is very good. I just picked this as it has a video and is the opener.

Twenty five years today since the release of Mobb Deep-The Infamous, an album that I revisit numerous times a year and it still feels fresh. Also, I don't think Havoc gets nearly enough credit as a producer.

I know it's a song that gets talked about to death but I just wanted to share this from Jazzy Jeff, which is pretty cool.

And a decent interview with Havoc here if you're interested, including him again talking about using the sound from his stove for the hi hats on the song. https://www.revolt.tv/2020/4/25/21234683/havoc-the-infamous-25th-anniversary-interview

• Paid Members

Think I’ve mentioned The Opioid Era in here before but they just put out a couple of songs over old beats that I really like. 

Over Ghostface’s ‘Motherless Child’;

Over Mobb Deep’s ‘Crawlin’;

Here’s some more of their stuff...

Over Ice Cube’s ‘Bird In Hand’;

‘The Foundation’ featuring Benny The Butcher;

I read they’ve got a new album coming out soon as well but not sure when. 

• Paid Members

Unreleased Biggie song from Joe Lyons’ vault...

’Bastard Child’ produced by Statik Selektah;

There’s going to be more surfacing on 14th May. More info here;

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/notorious-big-bastard-child.html/amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Paid Members

Really enjoying (unsurprisingly) the new Four Owls album. It seems a bit more chilled than the prior 2 records & they've diallled down the East coast 90's vibe a touch, There's some cracking guest turns on it though. Kool G Rap is a highlight & the track with RA The Rugged Man absolutely slams.

RA's album came out on the same day (he's also on Romesh's podcast which is worth checking out). I wasn't as keen on his album overall but again, some amazing guests & he's managed to put together the best posse track I've heard in years & years. Incredible stuff -