UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

Had this CD when it first came out and been enjoying it for the last hour or so, and it's a great little mix so thought I'd give a heads up for those who might be interested.

Proper snapshot of the UK and US independent scene of the time, and features one of my favourite Cappo lines "I can't stop being cleverly heavy, I walk around arms down like I'm Kevin and Perry" and never not funny hearing a Bristol accent rapping (sorry Aspects and west country people). 

Also Mr Thing is one of the nicest Humans I've ever met.

https://m.mixcloud.com/deejaypostie/mr-thing-ear-this-breaking-point-magazine-mix-cd-may-2001/

15 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I've never as much of a uk hip hop fan as you and Mike are, but I always rated Cappo. Really like him. 

Yeah he's great, the aforementioned track with Scorzayzee (The Looniest) and Spaz The World are classic, and to be honest, most of his output is stellar.

This era was prime "OHMYGOD WHY ISN'T WESTWOOD PLAYING PHI LIFE CYPHER" for 16 year old Bacon. I was a proper little backpacker.

Still a fan of a lot of UK stuff, but it needs to be doing more than "battle raps/metaphors" to really grab me these days.

• Moderators

My biggest problem with the UK stuff was that it waa mostly just too miserable and serious. Couldn't stand taskforce, jehst and the likes. But then the stuff that wasn't and was more battle raps style like you say, seemed like the US stuff I was into but just not as good. I think part of it was that even when the US backpacker guys were total nerds as well they seemed a bit cooler because they were a bit exotic. A lot of it is just better though and I stand by that with the full experience of hindsight.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

You're spot on, it was a very serious scene, and a handful of "fun" artists such as Aspects and Diversion Tactics, Krispy were a bit of a saving grace sometimes.

Can't agree on Jehst though bud, I think he's incredible, and always have done. His last album is a breath of fresh air as well. Give it a whirl, it's more story led/concept than his previous stuff.

Plus, England is and always will be relevant.