UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Just crawled out from under my rock to discover that DJ Format (and Abdominal) did a few other albums after Music For The Mature B-Boy. Reckon I'll try to catch up on these today. 

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'm hoping for some ukff recommend albums.

I finally picked up 36 chambers and loved it more than I did when I first heard it back in the early days of napstar being a thing.

From that I got Ironman, which I've enjoyed, and Return to the 36 which is ok but not my bag top to bottom.

So my question is what other Wu-tang group or solo efforts are worth seeking out?

You want ‘Only Built 4 Cuban Linx’ by Raekwon and ‘Liquid Swords’ by GZA. I’d also check out ‘Supreme Clientele’ by Ghostface Killah. 

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

I finally picked up 36 chambers and loved it more than I did when I first heard it back in the early days of napstar being a thing.

From that I got Ironman, which I've enjoyed, and Return to the 36 which is ok but not my bag top to bottom.

So my question is what other Wu-tang group or solo efforts are worth seeking out?

Ghostface-Supreme Clientele and Bulletproof Wallets are both great, the former probably the best solo Wu album featuring the best Wu beat (ironically not by RZA) Mighty Healthy, in my opinion.

I’ve got time for Method Man-Tical and Inspectah Deck-Uncontrolled Substance and on the Deck tip, you could do worse than check out any of the Czarface projects; actually go for the Ghostface featured one Czarface meets Ghostface.

I wouldn’t bother with any actual Wu albums, they’re all awful with sporadically good tracks.

On another note, this UK Classic is finally around digitally. Features a verse by Supa T which is amongst my favourite of all time. 

https://djmk1.bandcamp.com/track/dj-mk-presents-supa-t-jehst-kyza-harry-love-its-all-live-dirty

• Moderators

Ghostface has done a lot of good solo stuff. I think the pretty tony album is excellent if you just delete the Missy track and pretend it doesn't exist. Also More Fish is very good. Apollo Kids is good album. The Apollo Brown remix version of his 12 Reasons To Die album is really good (the brown tape, it's called).

I really like RZA's first Bobby Digital album but it's very distant from early Wu so may not be your bag.

Not a Wu album strictly but Gravediggaz - 6ft Deep / Niggamortis is an amazing album. (It's a RZA / Prince Paul project)

Killah Priest - Heavy Mental is worth checking out

Edit just to say bulletproof wallets is gash and czarface is boring; don't listen to bacon on those recommendations. Uncontrolled substance is a decent shout though.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Cappadonna 'The Pillage' is an underrated cut, I believe. Well worth a go. 

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ghostface has done a lot of good solo stuff. I think the pretty tony album is excellent if you just delete the Missy track and pretend it doesn't exist. Also More Fish is very good. Apollo Kids is good album. The Apollo Brown remix version of his 12 Reasons To Die album is really good (the brown tape, it's called).

I really like RZA's first Bobby Digital album but it's very distant from early Wu so may not be your bag.

Not a Wu album strictly but Gravediggaz - 6ft Deep / Niggamortis is an amazing album. (It's a RZA / Prince Paul project)

Killah Priest - Heavy Mental is worth checking out

Edit just to say bulletproof wallets is gash and czarface is boring; don't listen to bacon on those recommendations. Uncontrolled substance is a decent shout though.

Excellent album: BOO DOO DOO DOO DOO 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

You need the two ODB albums as well. I love ODB. 

Yes! The first album especially for me. I really loved Protect Ya Neck 2 off that.

And here it is set to the Muppets 😂 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yes! The first album especially for me

That was one I thought was a safe bet, I knew I liked shimmy and brooklyn zoo, but as a full album I found it a little much. I'll need to give it another proper go though though, give it a fair shake. 

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll certainly be picking some of them up. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yes! The first album especially for me. I really loved Protect Ya Neck 2 off that.

And here it is set to the Muppets 😂 

Rolf & Doctor Teeth doing Shimmy Shimmy Ya is a classic as well. 

https://youtu.be/P2BUO1gjVLI